Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Sign in to follow this  
Waspie_Dwarf

Sutherland space hub boss predicts space tourism from Scotland 'in our lifetime'

Waspie_Dwarf

Sutherland space hub boss predicts space tourism from Scotland 'in our lifetime'

CAPTAIN Kirk anticipates space tourists taking off from Scotland in our lifetime.

No, not on the next Star Trek film but from a destination from which we usually travel to the continent.

Captain Roy Kirk has just as much passion for space as the better-known Captain James Tiberius Kirk and is at the heart of Scotland’s emergence as a global leader in space technology.

arrow3.gif  Read More: The National

• Like 3

TheSpaceResident

I always knew that Scotland is a big player in the space race, and this article convinced me more that nothing else.  There's a Scottish-British startup https://www.skyrora.com/ that successfully manufactures rockets, launch satellites, etc. 

Waspie_Dwarf
18 minutes ago, TheSpaceResident said:

I always knew that Scotland is a big player in the space race, and this article convinced me more that nothing else.

Hardly a "big player". Even this launch hub won't make them that. If successful it will be one many new, small, space ports that are emerging around the globe. There are already several in the USA, one in New Zealand. There are more planned for Canada, Australia and even Cornwall (Virgin Orbit will launch from there).

Scotland may emerge with a part to play, but the big players are the USA, Russia, China, India, Japan and ESA and Scotland is unlikely to topple them.

24 minutes ago, TheSpaceResident said:

There's a Scottish-British startup https://www.skyrora.com/ that successfully manufactures rockets, launch satellites, etc. 

Not yet they haven't. They only started in 2017.

They have flown a few small prototypes, initially using commercially available model rocket motors. Their last test reached an altitude of 27km... 73km short of the Internationally recognised boundary of space.

• Like 2

TheSpaceResident
20 hours ago, Waspie_Dwarf said:

Hardly a "big player". Even this launch hub won't make them that. If successful it will be one many new, small, space ports that are emerging around the globe. There are already several in the USA, one in New Zealand. There are more planned for Canada, Australia and even Cornwall (Virgin Orbit will launch from there).

Scotland may emerge with a part to play, but the big players are the USA, Russia, China, India, Japan and ESA and Scotland is unlikely to topple them.

Not yet they haven't. They only started in 2017.

They have flown a few small prototypes, initially using commercially available model rocket motors. Their last test reached an altitude of 27km... 73km short of the Internationally recognised boundary of space.

I hope Scotland will develop launch facilities and space ports to become one of the spacefaring nations. In general, I want more countries to join space race and develop in this industry because I think we can effectively explore space together. 

Still Waters

Related:

Billionaires challenge Highlands space port plan

Billionaires Anders and Anne Holch Povlsen have asked a senior judge to overturn planning permission for a space port in the Highlands.

The couple own land near the proposed Space Hub Sutherland and have concerns about its impact on protected areas.

Their company Wildland Ltd has raised the legal action against Highland Council's planning approval.

The project's backers have said the site, which would be the first of its kind in the UK, will create new jobs.

Planning permission for the facility is being challenged in a judicial review at the Court of Session in Edinburgh.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-highlands-islands-57403221

• Thanks 1

Still Waters

Update:

Billionaires' challenge to Highlands space port fails

Billionaires Anders and Anne Holch Povlsen's legal bid to overturn planning permission for a space port in the Highlands has been unsuccessful.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-highlands-islands-58281005