Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Appalachia’s Folklore Creatures

rashore

I came across this series. It's a blog series, split into three parts. Has all sorts of fun folklore. 

“Something Beyond Reason, Not Ordinary” – Appalachia’s Folklore Creatures, Part 1

In your long hikes and woodland quests, have you ever heard some noise you can’t quite place? A growl, perhaps, or even a howl? Have you shuddered when leaves rustled or a twig snapped? Walking on your way home in dark hollers, did you have a creepy feeling that you were being watched? Have you ever been fishing and seen an unusual something slither and glide across the lake? Or, when you’re treading water in your favorite swimming hole, did you feel something larger, something “unfish-like” brush across you?

Some of us have heard tales – strange and uncanny tales – about mountain creatures. Storytellers are good at relaying certain aspects of the whatevers lurking in the woods. My father was a master storyteller so, my brother and I learned all about the “Snoffingommits” and “Catty Wampuses” in the woods. Consequently, he and I were vigilant children on our hikes, armed with walking sticks, rocks, quick feet, and screams to beat the band. We were sharp, brave, and alert. And we never – not even once – allowed a “Skunk Monkey” or “Mud Monster” or the “Tennessee Wild Man” to cross our holler paths, though at times we could’ve sworn we felt them near.

Since these tales and stories are so prevalent in Appalachian culture, one might ask: Are they really fictional, or are they genuine encounters and experiences that perhaps, through the years, have been embellished? Appalachia Bare will feature a three-part series where we will investigate a list (by no means exhaustive) of these Appalachian folklore creatures. Among other things, we will take a peek at eyewitness encounters, surmise the possible origins, and address each physicality. Several websites dedicated to cryptozoology, or, the study of legendary creatures and their validity, are linked and listed as sources. Other sites are just like us – plain curious.

So, join me and set your mind toward the following tidbits of information about some of these creatures. Perhaps, you’ll find yourselves better prepared. After all, what you hear in these woods just might be one of them.

https://www.appalachiabare.com/something-beyond-reason-not-ordinary-appalachias-folklore-creatures-part-1/

“Animals Don’t Act Like This” – Appalachia’s Folklore Creatures, Part 2

In part two of our series, we examine creatures from the Kentucky Hellhound to the dreaded Snarly Yow. Our journey takes us into moonshine country and skyward, then makes a daring turn toward the woods and on thoroughfares. Take care on this trek, lest you get lost and are found by one of these beasts. Let us know in the comments if you’ve ever encountered what follows. We might just have a few stories of our own. Tell us your story and we’ll tell you ours.

https://www.appalachiabare.com/animals-dont-act-like-this-appalachias-folklore-creatures-part-2/

“A Strange and Frightful Being” – Appalachia’s Folklore Creatures Part 3

Welcome, readers. We have now come to the end of our journey. I hope everyone has avoided our creatures thus far. Hopefully, this series has better prepared readers for any future encounters. Let’s explore and investigate the following creatures together.

https://www.appalachiabare.com/a-strange-and-frightful-being-appalachias-folklore-creatures-part-3/

• Like 6

I like stories like this. very soothing to read. 

• Like 4

Sure and it's the product of a bunch of homesick Bog Irish ;)   MY PEOPLE!  :w00t:

• Like 3

"Moonshine Country" says a lot.

I like reading this kind of thing too. I grew up in the woods of Central Oregon and this resonates somewhat. 

I remember seeing a white stag once, and when we (our gang of 5 boys) got to where it had been, it was long gone. I caught a two foot salamander in the creek once. And saw numerous tiny eels in the creek one year. 

I used to sneak up onto the state owned land maybe a half mile into the woods, and make trackways of BF tracks on the logging roads. Very crudely done. Then bring my little brother up there (3 yrs younger), point them out, tell him bigfoot eats children,  then run off and leave him behind.... Ha, ha, ha.... Good times...

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

39 minutes ago, DieChecker said:

I remember seeing a white stag once, and when we (our gang of 5 boys) got to where it had been, it was long gone.

The Lenape have a legend about one and it's considered bad karma to kill one among Pineys. The woodjins who hung at the Pine Barren Stove Company were always watching after the few that appeared and one day a suburban hunter brought one in to be weighed. The owner refused and the locals who were there told him never to return to the area. 

• Like 6

My people wouldn't kill anything unnaturally white--bad luck. 

• Like 3

20 hours ago, Hammerclaw said:

My people wouldn't kill anything unnaturally white--bad luck. 

Not sure I follow you, HC. what is unnaturally white about a white stag? - or are you onto something else here. But interesting!

3 hours ago, Earl.Of.Trumps said:

Not sure I follow you, HC. what is unnaturally white about a white stag? - or are you onto something else here. But interesting!

Albino's are rare flukes of nature, unsettling, unnatural oddities to a superstitious mind, best given a wide berth. In the mind of my ancestors, traversing a wilderness filled with spirits and haints, one avoided drawing unwanted attention to oneself.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

I’ve worked and lived in west by god Virginia …:

great place. I worked in remote places and am an avid hiker off trails…. Nothing to see imo.

many superstitious people. But who knows? Just because I never saw anything…: Sometimes I’d run across some back woods locals that were Sketchy but I always showed my gun and was nice. I personally believe a lot of reports here are just fabricated from state of mind or confusion over people vs cryptid. But who knows.

• Like 1

On 6/17/2021 at 2:37 PM, Paratheorist said:

In Maryland there are the Sykesville Monster and the Shady Side Swamp Monster, both Sasquatch type creatures.

*Arrives in a swirl chair* Heard you're from Maryland! How could you forget The Goatman?!