Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Sign in to follow this  
Desertrat56

Ring of fire solar eclipse 2021, when, where and how to see it

Desertrat56

https://www.space.com/ring-of-fire-annual-solar-eclipse-2021

But you have to live in a narrow strip or central or eastern Canada to get the full effect.  (which reminds me of an old Connie Willis short story)

Northern and eastern sections of North America will experience a weird and dramatic event next Thursday (June 10). 

A partial solar eclipse will be visible, and for many, it will more or less coincide with sunrise. Only for places north of a line running roughly from Churchill, Manitoba, to Halifax, Nova Scotia, will the entire eclipse be visible from start to finish after the sun rises. Elsewhere, depending on where you are, if your sky is clear toward the east-northeast, the rising sun will appear slightly dented, deeply crescent shaped, or even ring shaped. 

Across a swath of central and eastern Canada — encompassing the provinces of western and northern Ontario and a slice of northwest Quebec, as well as eastern Nunavut, Canada's newest territory — viewers living within a path averaging about 390 miles (630 kilometers) wide will have a front-row seat to witness the rare and exciting spectacle of an annular or "ring of fire" solar eclipse. 

Because the moon will be just 57 hours past apogee, its farthest point from Earth during its orbit, it will appear somewhat smaller than usual — smaller than the apparent disk of the sun. It is for this reason that viewers in the shadow's center will get an annular rather than a total eclipse: the sun will become a brilliant ring (or annulus) of light encircling the moon's dark silhouette for several minutes. 

Here is Connie Willis's blog about two other eclipses and how she wrote her story.

http://azsf.net/cwblog/?p=289

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

Desertrat56

https://www.space.com/ring-of-fire-solar-eclipse-weather-forecast-june-2021

The U.S. weather forecast for solar eclipse June 10, 2021

Only a partial solar eclipse will be visible from much of the U.S. on Thursday, June 10.

On Thursday morning (June 10) much of North America will see the moon block some portion of the sun during the first solar eclipse of the year — weather permitting, of course. 

While parts of northern Canada, Greenland and Russia will witness a "ring of fire" as the moon passes directly in front of the sun, observers in parts of the U.S. will see only a partial eclipse, with the moon appearing to take a "bite" out of the sun. 

Here is Space.com's assessment of the chances of getting a view of Thursday morning's sunrise solar eclipse based on the weather forecast. 

Desertrat56

https://www.space.com/sunrise-solar-eclipse-2021-nasa-photos

NASA photos of the sunrise solar eclipse

Most of the U.S. missed out on the "ring of fire" piece of year's first solar eclipseon Thursday (June 10), but parts of the East Coast caught a stunning sunrise partial eclipse to make up for it.

The June 10 annular eclipse was mostly visible over Canada, Greenland and Siberia, plus a small sliver of Michigan's Upper Peninsula. But skywatchers in a much wider range were able to catch the eclipse in partial phases. In many areas, the partial eclipse aligned closely with sunrise, making for a particularly eerie spectacle.

Waspie_Dwarf

The best I could manage through the clouds.

663907180_PartialSolarEclipse10.6_2111_00.thumb.JPG.b8d0bb5b82e57ef4d2bf92ffd4ed7282.JPG

• Like 2

L.A.T.1961

It was cloudy here. :hmm: 

• Sad 1

Waspie_Dwarf
2 minutes ago, L.A.T.1961 said:

It was cloudy here. :hmm: 

It was clear here two hours before the eclipse. It was clear here two hours after the eclipse. During the eclipse, on the other hand, there were clouds as far as the eye can see.

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

L.A.T.1961
Just now, Waspie_Dwarf said:

It was clear here two hours before the eclipse. It was clear here two hours after the eclipse. During the eclipse, on the other hand, there were clouds as far as the eye can see.

What did you use ? solar film. 

• Like 1

Waspie_Dwarf
1 minute ago, L.A.T.1961 said:

What did you use ? solar film. 

Yes, I bought a sheet and made my own filter. The camera is a Canon EOS 550D and I used a 70-300mm zoom lens at 300mm plus a 2x converter. I'd have to go and look at the metadata for the rest of the settings, the cloud thinned for only a few seconds, so it was a bit hit and miss. Fortunately that gap in the cloud was right about the maximum eclipse.

• Like 2

L.A.T.1961
3 minutes ago, Waspie_Dwarf said:

Yes, I bought a sheet and made my own filter. The camera is a Canon EOS 550D and I used a 70-300mm zoom lens at 300mm plus a 2x converter. I'd have to go and look at the metadata for the rest of the settings, the cloud thinned for only a few seconds, so it was a bit hit and miss. Fortunately that gap in the cloud was right about the maximum eclipse.

The solar film is effective, I used some on a pair of mounted bino's and managed some reasonable shots through it of previous eclipse and Venus transit. 

• Like 2