Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Eldorado

Single telescope detects hundreds of radio signals from space

Eldorado

In just its first year of operations, a Canadian radio telescope has quadrupled the number of detections of strange cosmic signals known as extragalactic fast radio bursts.

Between 2018 and 2019, the Canadian Hydrogen Intensity Mapping Experiment (CHIME) detected 535 new signals. The new, expanded fast radio burst (FRB) catalog will allow scientists to better analyze statistical data. In turn, this will help us to understand where these mysterious bursts originate, and use them as a tool to understand the wider Universe.

"Before CHIME, there were less than 100 total discovered FRBs; now, after one year of observation, we've discovered hundreds more," said astrophysicist Kaitlyn Shin of MIT and the CHIME collaboration.

Full monty at Science Alert: Link

• Like 2

Manwon Lender

On June 9, 2021, my colleagues and I announced the discovery of 535 fast radio bursts that we detected using the Canadian Hydrogen Intensity Mapping Experiment telescope (CHIME). Detected in 2018 and 2019, these bursts of radio waves last only milliseconds, come from far across the universe, and are enormously powerful – a typical event releases as much energy in a millisecond as the Sun does over many days.

This is where our new catalog from CHIME comes in. By releasing information about 535 new fast radio bursts – including 61 bursts coming from 18 repeating sources – our team is more than quadrupling the total number of known events and pushing the field into an era of big data. With a large and growing number of measurements, all sorts of questions can finally start being addressed.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/technology/535-new-fast-radio-bursts-help-answer-deep-questions-about-the-universe-and-shed-light-on-these-mysterious-cosmic-events/ar-AAKSbyz

• Like 1

Waspie_Dwarf

@Manwon Lender before starting a new topic please check that it has not already been posted. Thank you.

• Like 1

Manwon Lender
1 hour ago, Waspie_Dwarf said:

@Manwon Lender before starting a new topic please check that it has not already been posted. Thank you.

Sorry, about the mistake I do check topics but for some reason I trouble using the forum search feature. 

I will try to be more careful in the future.