Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Eldorado

46% of Canadians believe in supernatural beings

Eldorado

Is there life after death? Haunting numbers from a new Ipsos poll for Blue Ant Media reveal that nearly half of Canadians (46%) believe in ghosts or supernatural beings, while a further two in ten (20%) are unsure – leaving just one in three (34%) firm skeptics.

Gen X’ers (55%) and Millennials (52%) are the most likely to believe in ghosts, followed closely by Gen Z (49%), while only one in three Boomers (33%) say they believe.

Looking across the country, Albertans are the most likely to believe in the supernatural: nearly six in ten (57%) say they believe in ghosts, placing them well ahead of BC (39%) and Ontario (42%). Roughly half of those in the Prairies (49%), Quebec (48%) and Atlantic Canada (50%) say they believe in ghosts.

Full monty at IPSOS

• Like 3

kartikg

How many of these are recently immigrated people, because most coming from developing nations have belief in the supernatural. 

papageorge1

I noticed the trend that the younger generations are more believers. What I think is the advent of cable TV and the internet has made paranormal stories and information so much more prevalent and accessible. The older generation's information was more dominated by mainstream media and mainstream science with its materialist bias with few alternative options of information.

Makes sense.

rashore
8 minutes ago, papageorge1 said:

I noticed the trend that the younger generations are more believers. What I think is the advent of cable TV and the internet has made paranormal stories and information so much more prevalent and accessible. The older generation's information was more dominated by mainstream media and mainstream science with its materialist bias with few alternative options of information.

Makes sense.

Not so much according to the survey. The 25-54/35-54 year olds had more Yes they believe answers and less no or not sure answers than the 18-34 year olds. According to the numbers. the younger folks were less inclined to be believers this time. The folks with the least inclination to believe were the older generation of 55+ year olds. 

• Like 1

papageorge1
8 minutes ago, rashore said:

Not so much according to the survey. The 25-54/35-54 year olds had more Yes they believe answers and less no or not sure answers than the 18-34 year olds. According to the numbers. the younger folks were less inclined to be believers this time. The folks with the least inclination to believe were the older generation of 55+ year olds. 

There is still an overall positive correlation between age and non-belief. I was more focused on the pre-internet/cable TV generation when I commented. The boomers differ from the norm the most.

Gen X’ers (55%) and Millennials (52%) are the most likely to believe in ghosts, followed closely by Gen Z (49%), while only one in three Boomers (33%) say they believe.