Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Halogen lightbulb sales to be banned in UK

Still Waters

Sales of halogen lightbulbs are to be banned in the UK from September, with fluorescent lights to follow, under government climate change plans.

The move will cut 1.26 million tonnes of carbon emissions a year and deliver consumers savings, officials say.

The UK began phasing out the sale of higher-energy halogen lightbulbs in 2018 under EU-wide rules.

Now retailers will no longer be able to sell most remaining halogen bulbs, such as kitchen spotlights.

Legislation for the plans is being brought forward this month by the government.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-57407233

• Like 7

At a glance, I thought this was government overreach that could cost businesses significant losses due to stock they couldn't sell.  Then I noticed that the businesses were made aware it could be coming, back in 2018.

There's no doubt that LED is far superior to halogen and fluorescents in most applications.  I'm not convinced that the climate changes we are experiencing are significantly impacted by human efforts, pro or con, but these kinds of changes just make sense.  

Edited by and then
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

It was said during the lockdown, the target to reduce emissions was achieved by grounded aircraft alone. 

Shows how polluting airtravel is. If we're to believe were in peril then. Ban aircraft. What can't do that, Can't be in that much peril. Can we. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

They shoulda started with banning fluorescents, given the chemicals used in them...

2 minutes ago, stevewinn said:

It was said

?  That should be good enough for anyone, right?  But fussy old me would like to see your references and a more detailed discussion about the full ramifications of the reduced air travel..  I suspect that this:

the target to reduce emissions was achieved

is a gross simplification of what has actually happened.

• Like 3

Who wants to buy those anyway, blazingly hot, lots of power use and broken after 1000 hours. They just want to tell their wife in the evening that they created a new law today at work.

• Haha 1

45 minutes ago, and then said:

I'm not convinced that the climate changes we are experiencing are significantly impacted by human efforts

I used to think the same. The carbon dioxide level in the atmosphere is currently "only" 450 PPM (parts per million), but then a clever scientist explained it to me.
It is like a grown man taking a tiny pill. The pill is only a millionth of his body mass, but it can significantly affect him for hours. Now imagine him taking such a pill every 6 hours. Soon he won't be able to stand up. He might even be poisoned.
That's how efficiently carbon dioxide contains heat. Methane is even worse, and that's being released in an alarming rate from the melting permafrost.

We are in trouble. What we do now might not even matter for hundreds of years. We started too late.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, zep73 said:

Methane is even worse, and that's being released in an alarming rate from

.....cows' arses.

Edited by acute
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, acute said:

.....cows' arses.

That too! :D

• Haha 2

I've noticed that LED lamps make a noise. Not as loud as fluorescent tubes, though.

http://www.todayifoundout.com/index.php/2020/10/the-great-light-bulb-conspiracy/

Saw this on a youtube video the other day & found it very interesting. It's about the invention of the light bulb & how light bulbs were made that could last a life time but how a cartel of manufactures designed them to fail & keep the market for renewing them going.

Edited by itsnotoutthere
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

I thought now we had left the EU and were a sovereign country, we could forget all this "Green" ecological stuff forced on us by the unelected beurocrats in Brussels. What's happened?

8 hours ago, ted hughes said:

What's happened?

Common Sense.

• Like 1

On 6/10/2021 at 6:52 PM, itsnotoutthere said:

http://www.todayifoundout.com/index.php/2020/10/the-great-light-bulb-conspiracy/

Saw this on a youtube video the other day & found it very interesting. It's about the invention of the light bulb & how light bulbs were made that could last a life time but how a cartel of manufactures designed them to fail & keep the market for renewing them going.

Planned obsolescence can't be bad thing.  Turnover is good for turnover.

Sustainability is for Commies.

• Haha 1

On 6/20/2021 at 10:36 PM, ted hughes said:

I thought now we had left the EU and were a sovereign country, we could forget all this "Green" ecological stuff forced on us by the unelected beurocrats in Brussels. What's happened?

Why is the Cross of St George red?:yes:

:tu: