Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Headteacher bans pupils from wearing skirts after complaints over length

Still Waters

A Caerphilly headteacher has banned pupils from wearing skirts to school after complaints that some are wearing them "inappropriately" short.

In an email to parents, Lee Jarvis said St Martin's School staff, pupils, and members of the public have spoken out over what they regard as "highly inappropriate and far too revealing attire".

When pupils return in September, they must wear either tailored trousers or shorts in the warmer weather.

https://www.itv.com/news/wales/2021-06-10/caerphilly-head-bans-pupils-from-wearing-skirts-after-complaints-over-length

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I remember the days when girls were not allowed to wear pants of any kind.   Mini skirts were the style but no one ever thought to ban them.  Some schools had rules about how long the skirts had to be and sent girls home if their skirt was too short.   Boys could wear what ever they wanted (except skirts).   Then in the 80's my daughter got sent home for wearing an Ozzy Osbourne on the cross t-shirt that she had stolen from her boyfriend.   Things have changed a lot.  I am a fan of school uniforms, all kids wearing slacks and polo shirts with the school logo on them.  The only problem is the expense of the shirts.   

Edited by Desertrat56
  • Like 3

I come from a Middle Class Conservative background with Christian values.

At my high school (I wont say where, but in the 1990s) one of the conditions of being a student was that your parents had to sign a waiver. One stating that if you violated the schools standards of behaviour they could physically discipline you.

In all my time there not one student ever got a detention, if someone misbehaved it was a slap around the head instead. If a girl started in the morning with too short a skirt it would be a slap around the head, and then she would be told to go back to the dorms to sort her uniform out. The headmaster there would certainly have had a stroke with the way society has gone over sexuality.

Even for me now its alien, I`ve just not been brought up in that way, I`m the complete opposite of liberal values.

Edited by Cookie Monster

So common assault, in a school administered by pedophiles, who'd have thunk it!

Seriously if fascist teachers can't do the value set of their indigenous community they shouldn't be in a job. Parents used to pick the teachers in the old days, the kids should be picking them today. 

The headmaster there would certainly have had a stroke with the way society has gone over sexuality.

Sex is supposed to be a metaphysical Nothing - sticking to CoE or Roman. As a headmaster they can't be two on this, kids come from somewhere. 

Thats the problem with so called "Religious schools" they're just covers for fascists, their practice is the total opposite of what churches preach.

Churches in the UK (IMO) would be doing well to have the ownership of "trademarks" such as "Christian" so others can't just nick it to suit their proposed market,

14 hours ago, Cookie Monster said:

At my high school (I wont say where, but in the 1990s) one of the conditions of being a student was that your parents had to sign a waiver. One stating that if you violated the schools standards of behaviour they could physically discipline you.

In all my time there not one student ever got a detention, if someone misbehaved it was a slap around the head instead. If a girl started in the morning with too short a skirt it would be a slap around the head, and then she would be told to go back to the dorms to sort her uniform out. The headmaster there would certainly have had a stroke with the way society has gone over sexuality.

Even for me now its alien, I`ve just not been brought up in that way, I`m the complete opposite of liberal values.

What if you came out with a really stupid suggestion for something?

Say, for the sake of argument, behaviour management?

Would you still like a teacher to come and slap you round the head? I'm only too happy to give back to the community if needed.

4 hours ago, Setton said:

What if you came out with a really stupid suggestion for something?

Say, for the sake of argument, behaviour management?

Would you still like a teacher to come and slap you round the head? I'm only too happy to give back to the community if needed.

Current policies aren`t retrospectively applied, even in the 90s it was a different era.

19 hours ago, Cookie Monster said:

If you think any of this is even remotely a good idea, I hope your kids are taken away posthaste before the damage is permanent. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, ethereal_scout said:

So common assault, in a school administered by pedophiles, who'd have thunk it!

Seriously if fascist teachers can't do the value set of their indigenous community they shouldn't be in a job. Parents used to pick the teachers in the old days, the kids should be picking them today. 

Sex is supposed to be a metaphysical Nothing - sticking to CoE or Roman. As a headmaster they can't be two on this, kids come from somewhere. 

Thats the problem with so called "Religious schools" they're just covers for fascists, their practice is the total opposite of what churches preach.

Churches in the UK (IMO) would be doing well to have the ownership of "trademarks" such as "Christian" so others can't just nick it to suit their proposed market,

This wasn`t a Catholic facility, there were no paedophiles.

A slap around the head didn`t do anybody any harm, in fact it improved many. The only one I know about which I think went to far because if affected the poor lad was a teacher locking him in a cupboard. They claimed they `accidently` forgot he was in there so he got 5 hours in darkness lol. The poor little blighter develop a weird quirk after that, whenever stressed he would start pulling out his eyebrows and eyelashes.

• Like 1

One more time? 

[00.03:57]

~

20 minutes ago, Cookie Monster said:

A slap around the head didn`t do anybody any harm, in fact it improved many. The only one I know about which I think went to far because if affected the poor lad was a teacher locking him in a cupboard. They claimed they `accidently` forgot he was in there so he got 5 hours in darkness lol. The poor little blighter develop a weird quirk after that, whenever stressed he would start pulling out his eyebrows and eyelashes.

If you did something wrong at work you wouldn’t expect to be beaten for it.  The only difference is the kids won’t fight back.

Its lazy discipline and the work of a coward that has to resort to beating children.  If I was asked to sign a waiver like that I would make the head teacher eat it, and if anyone laid a hand on my child, I would serve a prison sentence to make sure they never did it again.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Grey Area said:

If you did something wrong at work you wouldn’t expect to be beaten for it.  The only difference is the kids won’t fight back.

Its lazy discipline and the work of a coward that has to resort to beating children.  If I was asked to sign a waiver like that I would make the head teacher eat it, and if anyone laid a hand on my child, I would serve a prison sentence to make sure they never did it again.

If they asked for a waiver like that and required it be signed I would not enroll my children in that school.  In New Meixco if you wanted to allow the principal to spank your child you had to sign a permission paper.  Most never did, and the schools did not advertise this as an option.  In Texas it was the opposite, if you did not want your child physically punished you had to sign a form saying no one had permission to touch your child.   I found this out after my kindergartener came home upset and a bit traumatized because the teacher spanked a boy in class.  I called the school to complain and their policy was explained to me.  I imediately went to sign the form that they did not have my permission to punish my children physically.

I don't know how it is now.  New Mexico still has the same rules, which I know because of my grandchildren, but I have no clue whether it has changed in Texas.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Desertrat56 said:

I found this out after my kindergartener came home....

I find this strange, one law for one person and another for another etc. Assault is assault. You should have made a complaint to the police (without knowing how useless they are where you are), assault is assault.

6 hours ago, Cookie Monster said:

Depends on your definition of paedophiles. I'm a Protestant (not Roman catholic) therefore I know paedophiles to be "death" or offenders against the person. For which the Romans will anil you to two bits of wood which is the foundation of Christianity, that why I find it odd that this was going on in an (allegedly) Christian school.

11 minutes ago, ethereal_scout said:

I find this strange, one law for one person and another for another etc. Assault is assault. You should have made a complaint to the police (without knowing how useless they are where you are), assault is assault.

It wasn't my child that was spanked and it was allowed in Texas.   Every state has different rules.

• Like 1

On 6/10/2021 at 9:38 PM, Cookie Monster said:

Obviously your up-bringing hasn't done you any harm. We can tell that from your posts.

• Haha 2

I think morrissey described my old school perfectly.."a crack on the head is what you get for not asking,and a crack on the head is what you get for asking "

The result being,half the kids getting more rebellious or unruly,and the other half retreating into their shells,trying not to be noticed.

• Like 1

On 6/10/2021 at 4:38 PM, Cookie Monster said:

I had a teacher use that slap around the head idea on me in the 7th grade back in the mid 70’s it knocked me out briefly and busted my mouth and nose. I ended up in the school clinic with a bag of ice. When I got my marbles straight again I demanded my parents be called and I was told to calm down and think about the teachers career. I insisted they call them or I was walking home. They came to get me and went off on the office staff and principal. My dad asked to see the teacher and they refused. He made me take him to the teachers room. The teacher was gone they had gave him the rest of the day off. So a few days later my parents hired an attorney. For months I was called out of class to discuss how I could ruin this teacher’s career if my parents didn’t drop their case. There was no waiver signed giving them permission to beat the students. 7th grade was a blur until eventually my parents just let it go.

Our high school was directly across the street. One day half way through 11th grade I went back to the middle school and found that teacher in the hall after school got out. And I asked him if he remembered me? He said no so I told him my name. He said oh yea how have been doing? I offered him the opportunity to hit me again now that I was not a little kid and he refused. I told him he was nothing but a disgrace to the idea of the word teacher and that he was lucky my dad couldn’t find him that day. And that if I ever heard of him putting his hands on another student again he didn’t need to be worried about my dad. 

• Like 2