Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Study: Unmedicated, untreated mental Illness likely in mass shooters.

spartan max2

Unmedicated, Untreated Brain Illness Is Likely in Mass Shooters

The first analysis of medical evidence on domestic mass shooters in the U.S. finds that a large majority of perpetrators have psychiatric disorders for which they have received no medication or other treatment, reports a study in the Journal of Clinical Psychopharmacology.

“Without losing sight of the larger perspective that most who are violent are not mentally ill, and most of the mentally ill are not violent, our message is that mental health providers, lawyers, and the public should be made aware that some unmedicated patients do pose an increased risk of violence,” according to the report by Ira D. Glick, MD, of Stanford University School of Medicine and colleagues.

Based on this data, 32 of the 35 perpetrators had signs and symptoms of brain illness, which fit scientific diagnostic criteria for a clinical psychiatric disorder,” Dr. Glick comments. Eighteen of the shooters had schizophrenia while 10 had other diagnoses including bipolar disorder, delusional disorder, personality disorders, and substance-related disorders. In three cases, there was not enough information to make a diagnosis; in four cases, no psychiatric diagnosis was found.

https://neurosciencenews.com/mass-shooter-mental-health-18598/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

You don't need to be a genius to figure this out.  I have taken a bit of flak for guessing that the recent tragedy in Ontario was due to some kind of severe mental episode but it seems to me that people with normal brains do not kill large numbers of perfect strangers.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, OverSword said:

You don't need to be a genius to figure this out.  I have taken a bit of flak for guessing that the recent tragedy in Ontario was due to some kind of severe mental episode but it seems to me that people with normal brains do not kill large numbers of perfect strangers.

Yeah, it's something most of has have suspected for a while. But it's nice to get some more empirical evidence for it. 

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Gromdor said:

Well, being a right, even the mentally ill have the right to bear arms.

And most of them will never shoot someone :st

• Like 3

Just now, OverSword said:

And most of them will never shoot someone :st

Also statistically true.

Most mass shooters are mentally ill. But most mentally ill people are not violent.

Worth remembering so as to not stigmatize mental illness. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

@Manwon Lender tagging you because you will probably appreciate this study.

It supports what you've said in other threads before 

• Like 1

you do not need a study to see a pattern, it was always crystal clear they were sickos.  yet gvmnt is punishing healthy law abiding citizens with their bans and  restrictions. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, spartan max2 said:

Worth remembering so as to not stigmatize mental illness. 

Or polticalize it either :tu:

• Like 2

I'm a little skeptical here RE the "unmedicated" portion. Time and time again, we found the shooters were on SSRIs or other anti-depressants, to the point it became a compulsory question to ask when a new mass shooting occurred. Are they mincing words here or did each of the 35 shooters studied really commit the act completely sober? 

Note the researchers "identified 115 persons" but this study only focused on the surviving 35 who went on to be analyzed by psychologists. 

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, Dark_Grey said:

I'm a little skeptical here RE the "unmedicated" portion. Time and time again, we found the shooters were on SSRIs or other anti-depressants, to the point it became a compulsory question to ask when a new mass shooting occurred. Are they mincing words here or did each of the 35 shooters studied really commit the act completely sober? 

Note the researchers "identified 115 persons" but this study only focused on the surviving 35 who went on to be analyzed by psychologists. 

I always thought that SSRI thing was a conspiracy from kids born in the 80s :P haha

But it is a worthwhile question you ask. They only looked at mass shooters who survived because there would be more follow up data on them. But the question you pose is reasonable. 

Are mass shooters who survive the event any different than mass shooters who did not? Would it change the results.

For what it's worth it looks like the researchers looked at that a little bit 

They also analyzed 20 mass shooters who died at the crime scene, using available data from the media or significant others. Eight assailants had schizophrenia, seven had other diagnoses, five had unknown diagnoses. Similarly, none were receiving appropriate medications.

Edited by spartan max2
  • Like 2

23 minutes ago, Dark_Grey said:

I grasp that but but but to me in the most basic form a rational person doesnt go on a shooting spree there has to be some mess up in the brain ie mental illness.

I also have a related in a way side question to gun owners, how do you feel about the extroverted types who feel the need to carry those assult looking guns to any outside type event,

ive been given answers like they think they look cool or its to intimidate or they are scared or that big gun makes up for their lil gun but really isnt it borderline personality disorder to feel the need to do that?

Edited by the13bats

5 minutes ago, the13bats said:

I grasp that but but but to me in the most basic form a rational person doesnt go on a shooting spree there has to be some mess up in the brain ie mental illness.

I also have a related in a way side question to gun owners, how do you feel about the extroverted types who feel the need to carry those assult looking guns to any outside type event,

ive been given answers like they think they look cool, to intimidate or rhey are scared or that big gun makes up for their lil gun but really isnt it borderline personality disorder to feel the need to do that?

I think they are displaying their support for the second amendment.  In other words they do it because they can.  They are demonstrating publicly that the second amendment is a natural right that they agree with and value very much.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Gun control is perfectly on topic for the thread.

I figured a study like this would inevitably lead to people wanting to talk about gun control policy.

So you all feel free.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, OverSword said:

I think they are displaying their support for the second amendment.  In other words they do it because they can.  They are demonstrating publicly that the second amendment is a natural right that they agree with and value very much.

That might be it for some, sadly it does far more harm than good in the eyes of the average person.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, spartan max2 said:

I figured a study like this would inevitably lead to people wanting to talk about gun control policy.

So you all feel free.

i use both hands to control a gun

Edited by aztek
  • Haha 2

14 minutes ago, the13bats said:

Oh I don't doubt they all had some type of mental illness, I suppose I'm looking for a little clarification on the term "unmedicated' as it relates to the OP

ive been given answers like they think they look cool or its to intimidate or they are scared or that big gun makes up for their lil gun but really isnt it borderline personality disorder to feel the need to do that?

Probably a mix of all of the above. It's a show of force, a show of support for the 2A, personal protection, compensation for "something"...

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, spartan max2 said:

So you all feel free.

To be clear i am not about gun "control" at this point even if you could outlaw all guns it wont work bad guys would get them or find other ways to do mischief.

Im in favor of a license to own guns like a DL and a bit of screening for mental issues or other flags that to not sugar coat it prove a person might be a nutball,

Of course some gun owners scream thats unfair, yeah, cry me a river its unfair i have to wonder if its safe to go in the piggy wiggly,   because some fellow decides to throw bullets at people because his cable channel cancelled 3s company or his politician lost and it placed undue stress on a structure never up to code to start with.

With great power ( gun ownership ) comes great responsibilities, deal with it.

Edited by the13bats
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, the13bats said:

To be clear i am not about gun "control" at this point even if you could outlaw all guns it wont work bad guys would get them or find other ways to do mischief.

Im in favor of a license to own guns like a DL and a bit of screening for mental issues or other flags that to not sugar coat it prove a person might be a nutball,

Of course some gun owners scream thats unfair, yeah, cry me a river its unfair i have to wonder if its safe to go in the piggy wiggly,   because some fellow decides to throw bullets at people because his cable channel cancelled 3s company or his politician lost and it placed undue stress on a structure never up to code to start with.

With great power ( gun ownership ) comes great responsibilities, deal with it.

I would support red flag laws. Similar to how we commit people to psych wards if deemed a danger to themselves or others.

I think the police should be able to seize someones weapons for a temporary amount of time (say like 30 or 60 days), during that time they go to court to have a judge rule on if taking the weapons are justified. If not than the person gets them back. 

Edited by spartan max2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, the13bats said:

The danger of that is who gets to decide what constitutes a nutball?  

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, spartan max2 said:

I would support red flag laws. Similar to how we commit people to psych wards if deemed a danger to themselves or others.

I think the police should be able to seize someones weapons for a temporary amount of time (say like 30 or 60 days), during that time they go to court to have a judge rule on if taking the weapons are justified. If not than the person gets them back. 

Yeah, thanks you worded it better than i can.

I will add just because a person can do something doesnt mean they should common sense should prevail, with some gun owners it sadly doesnt.

7 minutes ago, OverSword said:

The danger of that is who gets to decide what constitutes a nutball?  

I have heard that from scared gun owners, but it wouldnt be just one person who desides who is a nut i would see it like perhaps a parole board.

And yeah, a lot of gun owners do fear this as they fear they would fail or not be treated fairly.

4 minutes ago, spartan max2 said:

In the U.S. it is very, very hard to get someone commited based on danger to themselves or others.  That is one reason we have mass shootings.  People around the shooters knew there was a bad day coming but there was no legal way they could stop it.

And police should not be given any extra power concerning seizing someone's weapons.  If they have a judge decide and they are following a court order, ok, but no seizing without a crime otherwise.

• Like 3

In a bad call, If a cop deems a person unfut to have a gun, and cant take it and that unfit gun owners takes out your family i guess its okay since that unfit gun owner has rights too.

See how that sounds.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, the13bats said:

I have heard that from scared gun owners, but it wouldnt be just one person who desides who is a nut i would see it like perhaps a parole board.

And yeah, a lot of gun owners do fear this as they fear they would fail or not be treated fairly.

Who is on the board?  Who determines what the criteria is for the board members?  Is it AOC?  Ted Nugent?  

• Like 2