Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Sign in to follow this  
OverSword

‘Reparations For Black America Already Happened,’ Black Scholar Tells Don Lemon

OverSword

Skipping through some of the beginning of the article I'll quote:

But he added, “I’m a little weary of the idea that we should think of [Tulsa-style reparations] as a microcosm for what should happen for black America, not because I’m against reparations, but because reparations for black America already happened starting in the late ‘60s.”

Although Americans today do not think of these programs as reparations, McWhorter named three of the many Great Society programs specifically enacted to reverse the legacy of slavery and Jim Crow by assuring black citizens access to a social safety net, quality education, dignified employment, and property ownership.

“Affirmative action was reparations. People didn’t use that word, but that’s precisely what it was,” he said. “The Community Reinvestment Act of 1977 that forced banks to invest in inner cities … that was reparation,” although “nobody makes a movie about that.”

“Welfare was reformed to be easier to get in the late ‘60s — another untold story. It was reparations,” McWhorter continued.

Link   There is a lot more so please read the rest.

Thoughts?

Edited by OverSword
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

OverSword
7 minutes ago, Desertrat56 said:

I think McWhorter has a point, but even if it was not reparations, even in 1960 there is no way to make reparations for things that happened 100-250 years ago.  For one thing, who would make the reparations.  The decendants of the slave traders?  The decendants of the slave owners?  The governments that allowed slavery?  The people that destroyed a section Tulsa almost 100 years ago?  And how do you find who gets reparation and who doesn't?   Do you make people prove they were descended from slaves, do you include the native americans, who were not bought and sold but instead stolen, sterilized, gathered up and put in camps, subjected to genocidal programs... ?   What about the Americans who were put in concentration camps during WW2 because their ancestors were from Japan?  It didn't even matter that their grandfathers had been born in the U.S.  What about the Chinese who were stolen from their homes in China, put on a boat and put to work on the U.S. railroads, some volunteered because they had no other way to survive but a lot of them were abducted, just like the Irish and poor Londoners who were abducted and shipped to the colonies to work.  What about them?    How do you give one group restitution and ignore the rest????

If you are willing to go back 200 years, then what about all the slaves the greeks had and the ones in Egypt and Rome?  How far back can you go?   It is a fact that humans have enslaved each other over the millenia and now it is illegal in most parts of the world.  That should be enough.  It is time to quit making excuses (on Both Sides) and get on with living in the 21st century.

This idea is a very sticky wicket.

In this case I think it's just concerning the descendants of black American slaves but your point and argument are legit.

• Like 5

Desertrat56
32 minutes ago, OverSword said:

In this case I think it's just concerning the descendants of black American slaves but your point and argument are legit.

Yes, and that is the objection I have, as well as the question about who is expected to pay the reparations.

• Like 4

OverSword
11 minutes ago, Desertrat56 said:

Yes, and that is the objection I have, as well as the question about who is expected to pay the reparations.

Well according to this professor reparations have been being paid for quite a few decades and we all are paying them by funding the social programs that are the payment.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

susieice
1 hour ago, Desertrat56 said:

It is time to quit making excuses (on Both Sides) and get on with living in the 21st century.

Agreed. Are you going to learn from the past and move on or are you just going to keep living in it? There's no going forward in doing that.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

Tatetopa
2 hours ago, Desertrat56 said:

I think McWhorter has a point, but even if it was not reparations, even in 1960 there is no way to make reparations for things that happened 100-250 years ago.

We did not have to go back 150 years from 1960 to right wrongs.    We just had to stop the behaviors we were still doing in 1960. 

• Like 5

and then
51 minutes ago, Tatetopa said:

We just had to stop the behaviors we were still doing in 1960. 

IMO, we HAVE done so to the extent possible.  I grew up in the deep south and I saw REAL RACISM in everyday life.  I recall flyers being left on car windshields inviting the public to cross-burnings.  I was fortunate enough to be raised by a mom who was disgusted by that kind of mindless hate and she instilled that belief in me.  I watched the changes as they occurred in real time and I can tell anyone willing to listen that "institutional racism", even in the deep south, is just a myth today.  

CRT and its tentacles are political tools and are as racist or more racist than anything I saw growing up.  The message I got at home was bolstered by the messaging from school and media and the changes that came from that are in jeopardy today.  Those who see racism everywhere are working to convince young black folks that they are being abused in some systematic way and it simply isn't true.  The lack of truth in the messaging doesn't matter today to those who are pushing the agenda.  They understand what they're doing and they're fully aware of the dangers ahead.  So, why are they pushing it?  Who benefits?

• Like 7

Likely Guy
3 hours ago, susieice said:

Agreed. Are you going to learn from the past and move on or are you just going to keep living in it? There's no going forward in doing that.

If more people would actually learn from the past I might agree.

Far too many people who say "move on", have no conception.of history.

• Like 2

susieice
1 hour ago, Likely Guy said:

If more people would actually learn from the past I might agree.

Far too many people who say "move on", have no conception.of history.

History needs to be taught.

Edited by susieice
  • Like 3

Tatetopa
4 hours ago, and then said:

IMO, we HAVE done so to the extent possible.  I grew up in the deep south and I saw REAL RACISM in everyday life.  I recall flyers being left on car windshields inviting the public to cross-burnings.  I was fortunate enough to be raised by a mom who was disgusted by that kind of mindless hate and she instilled that belief in me. 

Yes, true.  For impatient people less than 40  years old, it is too slow.  For people 50 and above they see quite a bit of change.

• Like 4

Sir Wearer of Hats
2 hours ago, susieice said:

History needs to be taught.

NOt just taught, thought about. 

• Like 4

Desertrat56
13 hours ago, Tatetopa said:

We did not have to go back 150 years from 1960 to right wrongs.    We just had to stop the behaviors we were still doing in 1960. 

Exactly, and maybe some more changes to behaviors need to happen, but reparation is not even useful to think about much less create a plan for it.

• Like 3

Desertrat56
14 hours ago, susieice said:

That's what I meant by quit making excuses, both sides need to get a grip and accept the decade they are living in Now.   The past is a lesson, not a place to dwell.

• Like 4

aztek
10 hours ago, Sir Wearer of Hats said:

NOt just taught, thought about. 

uh, no, not when a school "teaches"  what to think.. 

• Like 1

Sir Wearer of Hats
3 hours ago, aztek said:

uh, no, not when a school "teaches"  what to think.. 

Maybe education in America is suspect, I have no idea. But here we actually teach children to be critical thinkers and to be able to think for themselves and to explain their thinking.