Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Underage youth consumed $17.5 billion worth of alcoholic drinks in 2016

Eldorado

"The alcohol industry has said they don't want minors to drink, but when we counted up the drinks, it was clear that they were making billions of dollars from these sales," said co-lead author Pamela J. Trangenstein, Ph.D., assistant professor of health behavior at the University of North Carolina Gillings School of Global Public Health. "There is a clear disconnect when an industry advocates prevention but then makes billions of dollars from prevention's failure."

Alcohol is the number one drug used among people ages 12 to 20. Although underage consumption has been falling in recent years, alcohol is still responsible for approximately 3,500 deaths per year among people younger than age 21, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

Full story: EurekAlert

• Like 1

I don't think much of this is purchased by minors.   

It's just too easy to get it without purchasing it themselves.  

6 hours ago, Myles said:

I don't think much of this is purchased by minors.   

It's just too easy to get it without purchasing it themselves.  

Over here, the drinking age is 18.

Underage kids sometimes stand outside the liquor store, and 'guilt' customers entering into buying it on their behalf, with a tall tale.

Much of their alcohol is probably stolen from their parents, and/or supermarkets.

Edited by acute

1 hour ago, acute said:

Over here, the drinking age is 18.

Underage kids sometimes stand outside the liquor store, and 'guilt' customers entering into buying it on their behalf, with a tall tale.

Much of their alcohol is probably stolen from their parents, and/or supermarkets.

I never see underage kids at the liquor stores anymore.   Too much risk for someone to buy for them there.    I agree much is stolen from their parents.   Or they have older siblings buy for them.   I know some parents who buy for their kids if they stay home and drink it.   Not good parents.

• Like 1