Jump to content
Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Still Waters

When life flashes before our eyes: a psychologist’s take on what might be happening

Recommended Posts

Still Waters

The experience of life flashing before one's eyes has been reported for well over a century. In 1892, a Swiss geologist named Albert Heim fell from a precipice while mountain climbing. In his account of the fall, he wrote is was "as if on a distant stage, my whole past life [was] playing itself out in numerous scenes".

More recently, in July 2005, a young woman called Gill Hicks was sitting near one of the bombs that exploded on the London Underground. In the minutes after the accident, she hovered on the brink of death where, as she describes it: "my life was flashing before my eyes, flickering through every scene, every happy and sad moment, everything I have ever done, said, experienced".

In some cases, people don't see a review of their whole lives, but a series of past experiences and events that have special significance to them.

https://theconversation.com/my-life-flashed-before-my-eyes-a-psychologists-take-on-what-might-be-happening-162320

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
papageorge1

I understand everyone gets a timeless life review vision after death to remember and re-experience the life for purpose of a spiritual review. My best understanding is that it is guided by higher beings using the Akashic records. In cases of near-death trauma some are given this timeless experience and can tell us about it directly.

A mainstream psychologist's explanations will be a little more mundane I'm sure.

 

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
jmccr8

Any time I was in a near death experience I never had those types of thoughts as my mind was to busy thinking about a way out of this.

One time during an accident it was like a time slow down click, click, click, bang, click, click almost fragmented but was specific to what was going on and not other memories.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
fred_mc

Interesting with the person who saw his future. Makes you think about the consequences if everything is pre-determined. Should a murderer still be punished although he had no choice but to commit the murder for example.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Susanc241
2 hours ago, fred_mc said:

Interesting with the person who saw his future. Makes you think about the consequences if everything is pre-determined. Should a murderer still be punished although he had no choice but to commit the murder for example.

But in a predetermined universe the murderer was always going to be punished.  Maybe the crime was necessary for what was to follow.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
razman

Makes you wonder (life flashing before eyes) , if this is just a natural occurance of the brain during death , or something else . Either way , the question is : why would it happen? Some people have reported this during an NDE and said not only did they see their lives in vivid detail , but also not only from their point of view , but from everyone around them point of view as well , and how the NDE'r's actions affected those around them. I mean if one is dying and this is it , then why would this even be neccessary to see , even from an "evolution" standpoint. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
pallidin

Well. I guess not entirely unexpected. 

During the death throw there is a mental tunnel.

Enough said.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Manwon Lender
Posted (edited)
On 6/12/2021 at 2:09 AM, papageorge1 said:

I understand everyone gets a timeless life review vision after death to remember and re-experience the life for purpose of a spiritual review. My best understanding is that it is guided by higher beings using the Akashic records. In cases of near-death trauma some are given this timeless experience and can tell us about it directly.

A mainstream psychologist's explanations will be a little more mundane I'm sure.

 

Well it didn't happen to me so I think you are mistaken!:no:

Its fine to speculate, but that's all you doing even if you don't realize it, and I honestly don't think you do!:(

Edited by Manwon Lender
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
papageorge1
6 hours ago, Manwon Lender said:

Well it didn't happen to me so I think you are mistaken!:no:

 

I can hardly tell if that was meant to be funny or serious (I'm thinking serious).

You are still with us my friend. If you almost permanently died, no one is saying you will necessarily get a life review. Many do though. I don't form my opinions of reality from the experiences of one person (Manwon). That would be drawing a conclusion from a sample of one.

6 hours ago, Manwon Lender said:

 

Its fine to speculate, but that's all you doing even if you don't realize it, and I honestly don't think you do!:(

I speculate following the rational analysis of all evidence and argumentation. That's called rational human reasoning.:yes:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
XenoFish

We might all already be dead and this life we think we're living, is just the life we lived before we died. 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
M 7

A few years ago I was out jogging, it was early in the morning and as I cut across a car park by some local shops without paying attention and inadvertently ran out in front of a delivery truck. It didn’t hit me, it wasn't going too fast enough so the driver was able to slam on the brakes but it certainly startled me and in that moment I saw a flash before my eyes. That’s not to say that I saw images from my life, I literally saw a bright white flash. My personal theory on it was that my brain had had switched to flight or fight mode and perhaps my pupils quickly dilated to allow me to take in more detail and this sudden increase in light caused the flash. It made me wonder whether the notion that our life flashes before our eyes might been built on the anecdotal accounts of similar experiences.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Crazy Horse
On 6/13/2021 at 1:05 PM, fred_mc said:

Interesting with the person who saw his future. Makes you think about the consequences if everything is pre-determined. Should a murderer still be punished although he had no choice but to commit the murder for example.

For what its worth, I think the murderer will be "punished" one way or another, and perhaps, with the right penitentiary system in place, a redemption could be realised whilst contemplating ones own actions?

For me there is a relative truth, and an Ultimate Truth, and for one to know the Other, then one must traverse the unreal as if it were real, and so, its off to jail for all the major league criminals, and a general armistice for all the half-hearted thugs.. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
Crazy Horse
On 6/14/2021 at 9:23 AM, pallidin said:

Well. I guess not entirely unexpected. 

During the death throw there is a mental tunnel.

Enough said.

Genuine question..

What is a mental tunnel, and why should it give one their past life review, and experiences?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
pallidin
1 hour ago, Crazy Horse said:

Genuine question..

What is a mental tunnel, and why should it give one their past life review, and experiences?

That's the natural organic cascade, according to the non-spiritual theory.

This is certainly a very real phenomenon, and the "tunnel" is proposed to be the degradation of thought itself, again, according to "them"

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guyver
On 6/11/2021 at 6:19 PM, closed for business said:

 

One time during an accident it was like a time slow down click, click, click, bang, click, click almost fragmented but was specific to what was going on and not other memories.

That was my experience during a rollover accident in a 4x4 truck.  Time slowed down for me in those seconds, but my life did not flash before my eyes.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guyver
On 6/14/2021 at 9:11 AM, Xeno-Fish said:

We might all already be dead and this life we think we're living, is just the life we lived before we died. 

Very interesting.  When I was 14, I had an accident on a dirt bike that should have either killed me or left me permanently maimed on a very high level.  As the event was occurring, time slowed down for me, then I watched a small circle form in front of my eyes, and all went black.  When I awoke, I was at the bottom of the cliff, sitting on the bike without a scratch on me.  I could have died at that moment and lived out the rest of my life in my mind, or this world we live now?  IDK, but it is interesting to consider.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
spartan max2
Posted (edited)
On 6/14/2021 at 12:11 PM, Xeno-Fish said:

We might all already be dead and this life we think we're living, is just the life we lived before we died. 

And then at the end of our flashback life we have another flashback which creates an endless cycles of flashback life's. Ultimately creating our reality as either heaven or hell based on how we lived lol

Edited by spartan max2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
XenoFish
23 minutes ago, Guyver said:

Very interesting.  When I was 14, I had an accident on a dirt bike that should have either killed me or left me permanently maimed on a very high level.  As the event was occurring, time slowed down for me, then I watched a small circle form in front of my eyes, and all went black.  When I awoke, I was at the bottom of the cliff, sitting on the bike without a scratch on me.  I could have died at that moment and lived out the rest of my life in my mind, or this world we live now?  IDK, but it is interesting to consider.

There are times when I wonder if I never woke up from my NDE. That his life is just a dream I conjured as I lay dying.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
XenoFish
24 minutes ago, spartan max2 said:

And then at the end of our flashback life we have another flashback which creates an endless cycles of flashback life's. Ultimately creating our reality as either heaven or hell based on how we lived lol

What if it's just us moving from one dream to another dream, in an endless stream of dreams. Life is just a very lucid dream.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guyver
2 minutes ago, Xeno-Fish said:

There are times when I wonder if I never woke up from my NDE. That his life is just a dream I conjured as I lay dying.

It was the premise of the movie starring Tim Robbins called “Jacob’s Ladder.”  If you get a chance to see it, I highly recommend it.  Never watched the remake.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.