Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

North Texas’ greatest UFO story lives on

Eldorado

The last couple years have seen a renewed and serious interest in UFOs. Any day now, national intelligence and defense officials will deliver a report to Congress on the unidentified aerial phenomena that have been seen in U.S. airspace. Leave the notion of little green men from Mars out of it. A lot of smart, credible people are convinced that something—whatever it may be—is going on.

So when I call the Wise County Historical Society, I am prepared to ask the following questions without blushing. Did a spacecraft crash in North Texas in April 1897? And was its extraterrestrial pilot buried in the cemetery in Aurora, a small Wise County town about 25 miles northwest of Fort Worth?

Full story at DMagazine

• Like 3

I have been to the Aurora grave yard where that alien was supposedly buried.   It is an interesting story.   Somehow some radioactive material was put down the well of the family that took care of the alien.  It seems they took the scrap of the air ship and put it in the well to hide it or something.   Later the well was cleaned out and used but the water was contaminated.   It is a cool old graveyard, but the town of Aurora does not exist anymore.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Desertrat56 said:

I have been to the Aurora grave yard where that alien was supposedly buried.   It is an interesting story.   Somehow some radioactive material was put down the well of the family that took care of the alien.  It seems they took the scrap of the air ship and put it in the well to hide it or something.   Later the well was cleaned out and used but the water was contaminated.   It is a cool old graveyard, but the town of Aurora does not exist anymore.

its a brunch  of scrap:)

• Haha 2

Wasn't this shown to be a hoax a long time ago (like early 1980's)? I know the "History" Channel had some episode about it but as usual, inconclusive and wild speculations to juice the viewership.

• Like 2

I was a kid in Texas when this story got raised from the archives and circulated again.

In the original article, I think the "airship"  clipped the top of a windmill and crashed.  This was written in the age of lighter than air craft before Orville and Wilber replaced balloons with reliable airplanes.  Jules Verne and later H G Welles wrote stories about massive  high tech  air ships, lighter than air or held aloft by mysterious rays coming from secret substances like "cavorite"    

Cigar shaped dirigibles were the model for modern airships before craft with wings. Lots of stories were inspired by mysterious airships, especially after Jules Verne's success with Master of the World in 1887.

Bigfoot was not a thing yet, but there were plenty of giants buried in Indian mounds and Thunderbirds flying through the western skies to write about.  Didn't have to be true if it sold newspapers.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Tatetopa said:

I was a kid in Texas when this story got raised from the archives and circulated again.

In the original article, I think the "airship"  clipped the top of a windmill and crashed.  This was written in the age of lighter than air craft before Orville and Wilber replaced balloons with reliable airplanes.  Jules Verne and later H G Welles wrote stories about massive  high tech  air ships, lighter than air or held aloft by mysterious rays coming from secret substances like "cavorite"    

Cigar shaped dirigibles were the model for modern airships before craft with wings. Lots of stories were inspired by mysterious airships, especially after Jules Verne's success with Master of the World in 1887.

Bigfoot was not a thing yet, but there were plenty of giants buried in Indian mounds and Thunderbirds flying through the western skies to write about.  Didn't have to be true if it sold newspapers.

Around the time this accident occurred there was a major panic in the Western United States concerning a Hugh number of Airship sighting they called it the Airship panic of the 1890s. It started around 1894 in California and over the course to 3 years the airships were being seen as far East as Iowa. At that time people didn't know what to think some thought that were piloted by Aliens others that they were being piloted by men. In fact in some cases they were so low the people inside were heard and seen . When this crash occurred people were very nervous about the whole situation. Below are links that talk about the situation in general and about the crash specifically.

Ned -.The Auroro Alien:http://www.auroratexas.gov/board-of-commisions/historic-preservation/ned/

The phantom Airships of the 1890s: https://www.historicalblindness.com/blogandpodcast//the-phantom-airships-of-1890s-america

The Great Airship Mystery of the 1890s:https://www.historynet.com/people-and-planes.htm

• Like 3