Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Even Thanksgiving is canceled!

glorybebe

• At a Randolph Board of Education meeting on Thursday, board members voted to remove all holiday names off of the school calendar 
  • The move came amidst backlash over changing Columbus Day to Indigenous Peoples Day from the 100-plus people who attended the meeting 
  • Instead, all holidays will be designated as simply 'days off,' according to Fox5 NY
  • The idea behind the holiday name change stems from an effort to avoid 'hurt feelings' over holidays that target specific people or groups 
  • 'What did you just do? What just happened?' one man exclaimed incredulously as the board made a unanimous vote  

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9677805/New-Jersey-school-district-removes-holiday-names-calendar-backlash-changes.html

Seriously?  Wow!

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 4

Holiday names are dumb.

Christ wasn't born on Christmas. Columbus might have 'discovered' the West Indies, certainly not the Americas.  Mother's Day was invented by a card company. What in hell is President's Day? Heck, here in Canada most of us call Victoria Day, "May Day" which has nothing to do with the other. It wasn't even the Queen's birthday over 180 years ago.

No one gives a rat's patoot what it's called, we just want three days off, one with pay.

• Like 6

I think it is more that everything has to be changed fir a few people, not the majority.  In actuality,  Christmas was introduced to entice the pagans into switching religions. 

• Like 8

38 minutes ago, Likely Guy said:

No one gives a rat's patoot what it's called,

Do a bit of reading about cultural Marxism and you'll begin to understand the insidiousness of these changes.  They have happened before with horrific consequences.  They are not innocent nor is it wise to ignore the warning signs.  Marxism will not take control of America as it exists today but it may well lead to the irreparable fracturing of our nation.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

The solution would be to ADD more “days off” (seeing as not all holidays are holy days) like Dewalli or Rhamedan. Everyone gets one, even Pi Day can be one (even Mathematicians deserve recognition, although there isn’t a 31st day in April forvit to work outside America). 

• Like 6

1 minute ago, and then said:

Do a bit of reading about cultural Marxism and you'll begin to understand the insidiousness of these changes.  They have happened before with horrific consequences.  They are not innocent nor is it wise to ignore the warning signs.  Marxism will not take control of America as it exists today but it may well lead to the irreparable fracturing of our nation.

You seem to be Marxophobic. 

What will be culturally lost? Is Thanksgiving part of your heritage? If so, it's already fragile.

Answer me this. How old is that holiday?

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Just now, Sir Wearer of Hats said:

The solution would be to ADD more “days off” (seeing as not all holidays are holy days) like Dewalli or Rhamedan. Everyone gets one, even Pi Day can be one (even Mathematicians deserve recognition, although there isn’t a 31st day in April forvit to work outside America). 

Don't forget Star Wars Day.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, glorybebe said:

I think it is more that everything has to be changed fir a few people, not the majority.  In actuality,  Christmas was introduced to entice the pagans into switching religions. 

Most of us rather enjoy the holidays.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, susieice said:

But for the “day off” value, not any intrinsic faith reason.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Sir Wearer of Hats said:

But for the “day off” value, not any intrinsic faith reason.

No. For the fun of the holidays. There's nothing religious at all about most holidays. Certainly not Thanksgiving. Not even remotely. Only Christmas and Easter have any deep religious roots. They mostly involve families and gifts or candy and are celebrated by a lot of nonreligious people. 

Edited by susieice
  • Like 9

"Happy Nothingness Day". Wunerful :no:

Do they consider trying to not hurt the feelings of the majority? Naaaaaaaaaaaaa. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, susieice said:

No one says you can't have it. Just call it whatever you want.

Edited by Likely Guy
  • Like 2

16 hours ago, Likely Guy said:

No one says you can't have it. Just call it whatever you want.

What's wrong with calling it Thanksgiving?

• Like 7

3 hours ago, susieice said:

What's wrong with calling it Thanksgiving?

Absolutely nothing. Like I said, call it whatever, "Harvest Time" is a good name too.

We don't have to have the same rituals to observe the same date in history. Some see them as positive, others as negative.

Columbus Day for example. If native americans want to hold a candlelight vigil instead of a parade, who would begrudge them?

Edited by Likely Guy
  • Like 2

Happy day off that just so happens to fall on, but is no way associated with, Thanksgiving day :o lol.

Feel like I'm in a Terry Pratchett novel

Edited by spartan max2
  • Like 6

Merry 'Days Off': Petition calls for woke NJ school board members to RESIGN after they canceled all holiday names from the calendar including Thanksgiving and Memorial Day 

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9680955/Petition-calls-woke-NJ-Randolph-Board-Education-members-resign-canceled-holiday.html

Well, looks like that may not be happening 

• Like 5

On 6/11/2021 at 10:19 PM, Likely Guy said:

You seem to be Marxophobic. 

If you believe that Marxism is not a dangerous path for a nation then nothing I say will ever convince you.  With any luck, you'll get to experience it and decide for yourself.  BTW, it's not possible to be "phobic" regarding something that has been repeatedly proven to be real and destructive.  Phobia is by definition an irrational fear.  

On 6/11/2021 at 10:19 PM, Likely Guy said:

Answer me this. How old is that holiday?

Good question.  I had to research it.  It began in November of 1789.  It has been a bedrock, fundamental tradition in America for a couple of centuries.  If this were a stand-alone issue it would be seen as odd but hardly anger-inducing.  But it doesn't stand alone, does it?  It's just another in the steady removal of cultural bonds for Americans.  I think even hard core Leftist types began noticing the over-zealousness of the Marxist crowd once the statues that were removed stopped being Confederates and began being American FOUNDERS.  If you are in denial about the fact that cultural Marxists are hard at work in attempting to cut Americans loose from their past and their historic bonds then that's a choice you've made.  This element is following a tried and true formula that they've used to destroy other nations for the sake of seizing power.  

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, and then said:

If you believe that Marxism is not a dangerous path for a nation then nothing I say will ever convince you.  With any luck, you'll get to experience it and decide for yourself.  BTW, it's not possible to be "phobic" regarding something that has been repeatedly proven to be real and destructive.  Phobia is by definition an irrational fear.

Since there has never been a true Marxist government anywhere in the world, that argument is moot.

18 hours ago, and then said:

Good question.  I had to research it.  It began in November of 1789.  It has been a bedrock, fundamental tradition in America for a couple of centuries.  If this were a stand-alone issue it would be seen as odd but hardly anger-inducing.  But it doesn't stand alone, does it?  It's just another in the steady removal of cultural bonds for Americans.  I think even hard core Leftist types began noticing the over-zealousness of the Marxist crowd once the statues that were removed stopped being Confederates and began being American FOUNDERS.  If you are in denial about the fact that cultural Marxists are hard at work in attempting to cut Americans loose from their past and their historic bonds then that's a choice you've made.  This element is following a tried and true formula that they've used to destroy other nations for the sake of seizing power.  

I have many historic bonds and right now many are being stripped away. I see that as a plus because that made a good thing. A lot of the crap we were taught, was just that. In Canada they stripped Ryerson's head from his statue. He was one of the lead proponents for residential schools. He had a major university named after him.

Just because it's old, doesn't mean it's right.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

On 6/12/2021 at 2:45 AM, glorybebe said:
  • At a Randolph Board of Education meeting on Thursday, board members voted to remove all holiday names off of the school calendar 
  • The move came amidst backlash over changing Columbus Day to Indigenous Peoples Day from the 100-plus people who attended the meeting 
  • Instead, all holidays will be designated as simply 'days off,' according to Fox5 NY
  • The idea behind the holiday name change stems from an effort to avoid 'hurt feelings' over holidays that target specific people or groups 
  • 'What did you just do? What just happened?' one man exclaimed incredulously as the board made a unanimous vote  

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9677805/New-Jersey-school-district-removes-holiday-names-calendar-backlash-changes.html

Seriously?  Wow!

The US has only itself to blame for letting the current trend go unchallenged for 30 years.

People find they win and loose at things in life, that others dont all like them, and that others dont all agree with them. Thats life. Trying to create a society where everyone creeps around on eggshells because people have been wrapped up in too much cotton wool is detrimental to society.

It creates a decline in freedom, free speech, free thought, and freedom of expression. Not caused by a dictator, but caused by people who would be dictators being given too much influence and say in society. Cry babies that throw a tantrum unless they get their way on everything and everyone else shuts up.

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, Cookie Monster said:

The US has only itself to blame for letting the current trend go unchallenged for 30 years.

People find they win and loose at things in life, that others dont all like them, and that others dont all agree with them. Thats life. Trying to create a society where everyone creeps around on eggshells because people have been wrapped up in too much cotton wool is detrimental to society.

It creates a decline in freedom, free speech, free thought, and freedom of expression. Not caused by a dictator, but caused by people who would be dictators being given too much influence and say in society. Cry babies that throw a tantrum unless they get their way on everything and everyone else shuts up.

It appears that you might support a society of bullism. Why can't the least members of society have a say?

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

7 minutes ago, Cookie Monster said:

Cry babies that throw a tantrum unless they get their way on everything and everyone else shuts up.

Sorry about your hurt feelings. Yeah, so Columbus day and Thanksgiving are voted out.  Get used to it and stop whining.  

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Tatetopa said:

Sorry about your hurt feelings. Yeah, so Columbus day and Thanksgiving are voted out.  Get used to it and stop whining.  

Only for some. No one has to celebrate any holiday. If you don't want to that's up to you.

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, susieice said:

Only for some. No one has to celebrate any holiday. If you don't want to that's up to you.

I think that is the one thing we all agree on.

Edit: If you don't personally celebrate it, don't denigrate it.

Edited by Likely Guy
  • Like 2

18 minutes ago, Likely Guy said:

I think that is the one thing we all agree on.

Edit: If you don't personally celebrate it, don't denigrate it.

I'm an apatheist, I don't care about religion.

However, I do like a lot of religious people. Most do good work..