Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Even Thanksgiving is canceled!

glorybebe

I guess this would include Veterans Day and Memorial Day too.

• Like 5

21 minutes ago, Likely Guy said:

I'm an apatheist, I don't care about religion.

However, I do like a lot of religious people. Most do good work..

You can't relate most holidays with religion. Oddly, Jehovah's Witnesses are very religious people who celebrate no holidays at all. Not even birthdays.

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, susieice said:

You can't relate most holidays with religion. Oddly, Jehovah's Witnesses are very religious people who celebrate no holidays at all. Not even birthdays.

They're evangelistic, coming door to door, but I can't begrudge them for it.

They do what they do and it only takes a couple of minutes out of my day every few months or so.

Largely, they're nice people. I don't agree word one with them but I'm always pleasant and respectful. So are they.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Michelle said:

I was always curious about that. Two different days, Up here on 11/11 we call it Remembrance Day.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, susieice said:

You can't relate most holidays with religion.

Most "holidays" aren't holidays because they're just "Days of Recognition'.

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, Likely Guy said:

I was always curious about that. Two different days, Up here on 11/11 we call it Remembrance Day.

Actually, there are three different days. I hope this helps.

In the US, most of the oldest generation remember 11/11 as Armistice Day. The end of WWI. It was changed to Veteran's Day in 1954 to also honor the veterans from WWII and Korea. It's now a day to remember our living veterans who served in the military.

Why did they change Armistice Day to Veterans Day?
Armistice Day officially received its name through a congressional resolution that was passed on June 4, 1926. ... After World War II, the act was amended to honor veterans of World War II and Korea, and the name of the holiday was changed to Veterans Day in 1954.Nov 11, 2020

Then, there is Memorial Day. It was actually started 1868 to remember those who died in the Civil War. It was called Decoration Day then because flowers, wreaths and flags were put on the graves. It became an official holiday in 1873 when New York became the first state to make it a legal holiday. It's now a day to remember all who died in the service of our country. It goes back to the Revolutionary War.

We also have Armed Forces Day which is celebrated on the third Saturday in May. This recognizes the men and women who are currently serving in our military.
What is the importance of Armed Forces Day?
Armed Forces Day is a chance to show your support for the men and women who make up the Armed Forces community: from currently serving troops to Service families, veterans and cadets. There are many ways for people, communities and organisations across the country to show their support and get involved.
Edited by susieice
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Tatetopa said:

Nope.

Source? It does say all holidays.

• Like 1

On 6/11/2021 at 9:13 PM, and then said:

Do a bit of reading about cultural Marxism and you'll begin to understand the insidiousness of these changes.  They have happened before with horrific consequences.  They are not innocent nor is it wise to ignore the warning signs.  Marxism will not take control of America as it exists today but it may well lead to the irreparable fracturing of our nation.

What is with you guys and the red baiting? There's barely any communists around these days, and they're all attending UC Berkley

• Haha 2

On 6/11/2021 at 8:19 PM, Likely Guy said:

You seem to be Marxophobic. 

What will be culturally lost? Is Thanksgiving part of your heritage? If so, it's already fragile.

Answer me this. How old is that holiday?

Countries adapting communism in the last century are responsible for the deaths of an estimated 100,000,000 of their own people.  So no biggie?  Can't happen again?  We should just ignore and let go the things we observe that happened as that sick ideology was implemented elsewhere.  Marxophobic?  You bet I am.  I have friends that witnessed the execution of their parents in Laos for being too educated, and a friend from El Salvador that was brought out to her village square one night to witness the execution of every male in town over the age of ten. Let's make it simple.  What about the cultural revolution in China and the ongoing genocide of Uighurs?  The deportations to die in a frozen wasteland in the Ukraine by the Russians?  Communism bad.  Things that communists have done in other places in the past while introducing communism, bad. Especially when they are done by people who are openly Marxist themselves.

Edited by OverSword
  • Like 3

On 6/11/2021 at 8:20 PM, Likely Guy said:

Don't forget Star Wars Day.

I had that exact thought.  I could always do with more days off 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 6/11/2021 at 9:32 PM, Sir Wearer of Hats said:

But for the “day off” value, not any intrinsic faith reason.

Speak for yourself.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Likely Guy said:

Since there has never been a true Marxist government anywhere in the world, that argument is moot.

Don't fall for that Bull.  It's the same crap every time. " They didn't do it right" :lol:  News flash....They never will.  They will just repeat what has been done as they "dispose" of any opposition on their way to being the supreme commander for life among equals.  It has never been different and to believe it will be is suicidal for both culture and sanity.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Michelle said:

Yeah? What's wrong with that?

The name appearing on a school calendar doesn't make the holidays any more or less important. 

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

11 hours ago, Tatetopa said:

Nope.

You doubt they are on some left leaning liberals radar as targets?  I don't.

7 minutes ago, Robotic Jew said:

Yeah? What's wrong with that?

The name appearing on a school calendar doesn't make the holidays any more or less important. 

Yes.  It does.  Having it taught in school keeps it part of the national heritage and national identity.  Having a national identity is important whether you recognize that psychology or not.

• Haha 1

Did they remove MLK day?

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, Likely Guy said:

Since there has never been a true Marxist government anywhere in the world, that argument is moot.

There has been many times.

The results just do not match the theory because the theory is wrong. 

But we have seen the result many times.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, spartan max2 said:

Did they remove MLK day?

It replaced presidents day in which traditionally the birthdays of Washington and Lincoln were celebrated.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, OverSword said:

It replaced presidents day in which traditionally the birthdays of Washington and Lincoln were celebrated.

Well of course.

So they only removed the "bad" holidays then :innocent:

Edited by spartan max2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, spartan max2 said:

Well of course.

So they only removed the "bad" holidays then :innocent:

MLK is right up there with the founding fathers and deserved a holiday.  They could/should have given him a different day IMO.

• Like 1

Oh no, some days off on a school calendar will have generic labels. Who gives a ****. Unless you base your entire life off this one school calendar, I'm pretty sure you'll know what is what. Nobody will cancel holiday plans because of this, it affects absolutely nothing.

I do think the reason for it is stupid and the whole PC movement is overbearing in general, but in this case - oh well. Some words on a calendar mean zilch, nothing has actually been lost.

Edited by moonman

16 minutes ago, moonman said:

I do think the reason for it is stupid and the whole PC movement is overbearing in general, but in this case - oh well. Some words on a calendar mean zilch, nothing has actually been lost.

I don't know how old you are but did you ever discuss Thanksgiving in school?  Make the decorations, trace your hand and make it a turkey?  Do you think at a school where they are not allowed to mention it as the reason for talking a few days off they will be allowed to talk about it at all?  Controlling language is the first step in controlling thoughts.  I'm not saying removing the word thanksgiving from a calendar is brainwashing but I'm not saying it's not either.

Edited by OverSword
  • Like 4

17 minutes ago, moonman said:

Oh no, some days off on a school calendar will have generic labels. Who gives a ****. Unless you base your entire life off this one school calendar, I'm pretty sure you'll know what is what. Nobody will cancel holiday plans because of this, it affects absolutely nothing.

It's so meaningless, yet they needed to remove them :ph34r:.

Feeling the need to remove something certainly means that it is not meaningless, no?

We should get the day off for Robert E lees birthday. It's just a day off, has no meaning. I'm sure no one would care haha

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Michelle said:

Source? It does say all holidays.

Source is me.  I own that flippant response.  Personal desire not fact.