Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Even Thanksgiving is canceled!

glorybebe

1 minute ago, spartan max2 said:

My question. Oh you mean about why people disagree with Thanksgiving ?

Do the Wampanoag? From reading the links it sounds like they also celebrate it. Or atleast I don't see them saying they think it she be abolished.

Supposedly a day of mourning.  Sounds about right.  I mean, who wouldn't rather be living in the stone age?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, spartan max2 said:

My question. Oh you mean about why people disagree with Thanksgiving ?

Do the Wampanoag? From reading the links it sounds like they also celebrate it. Or atleast I don't see them saying they think it she be abolished.

Yeah I don't know, I don't think you're reading all of it.

While today Thanksgiving is one of our nation’s favorite holidays, it has a far different meaning for many Wampanoag, who now number between 4,000 and 5,000. Turner said, “For the most part, Thanksgiving itself is a day of mourning for Native people, not just Wampanoag people.”

At noon on every Thanksgiving Day, hundreds of Native people from around the country gather at Cole's Hill, which overlooks Plymouth Rock, for the National Day of Mourning. It is an annual tradition started in 1970, when Wampanoag Wamsutta (Frank) James was invited by the Commonwealth of Massachusetts to give a speech at an event celebrating the 350th anniversary of the Pilgrims’ arrival and then disinvited after the event organizers discovered his speech was one of outrage over the “atrocities” and “broken promises” his people endured.

On the Wampanoag welcoming and having friendly relations with the Pilgrims, James wrote in his undelivered speech: “This action by Massasoit was perhaps our biggest mistake. We, the Wampanoag, welcomed you, the white man, with open arms, little knowing that it was the beginning of the end.”

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Gunn said:

Yeah I don't know, I don't think you're reading all of it.

Well you don't need to get like that about it lol. I literally read both of your links. 

Do you regard Thanksgiving as a positive thing?

As a concept, a heartfelt Thanksgiving is very important to me as a person. It’s important that we give thanks. For me, it’s a state of being. You want to live in a state of thanksgiving, meaning that you use the creativity that the Creator gave you. You use your talents. You find out what those are and you cultivate them and that gives thanks in action.

And will your family do something for Thanksgiving?

Yes, we’ll do the rounds, make sure we contact family members, eat with friends and then we’ll all celebrate on Saturday at the social and dance together with the drum.

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, OverSword said:

Supposedly a day of mourning.  Sounds about right.  I mean, who wouldn't rather be living in the stone age?

Ah, yes I see I missed that part.

• Like 1

Just now, spartan max2 said:

Well you don't need to get like that about it lol. I literally read both of your links. 

:D I'm just saying man. You asked how most of them feel about that particular holiday and I thought I was giving you a different perspective from a majority who are into their ancestral roots. Hell I'm half Cherokee, but honestly I could care less about any of it because I live in the here and now. Besides that, I use it as an excuse to go deer hunting. :D

• Like 3

Ah, yes I see I missed that part.

I recommend they go over to my sisters house and mourn.  At least that way they can have some good food and drinks while they do it :tu:

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Gunn said:

:D I'm just saying man. You asked how most of them feel about that particular holiday and I thought I was giving you a different perspective from a majority who are into their ancestral roots. Hell I'm half Cherokee, but honestly I could care less about any of it because I live in the here and now. Besides that, I use it as an excuse to go deer hunting. :D

No it's fine. I guess I literally did skim over the part you quoted about day of mourning <_< lol

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, OverSword said:

I recommend they go over to my sisters house and mourn.  At least that way they can have some good food and drinks while they do it :tu:

My thing is, like with the dude in the QnA I quoted, is that even those who are participating in the day of mourning I feel go home after and celebrate Thanksgiving secularly.

• Like 2

No it's fine. I guess I literally did skim over the part you quoted about day of mourning <_< lol

No big whoop, we're all human and make mistakes man. I do just about everyday. ;)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, OverSword said:

How do you feel about Pearl Harbor being avoidable but they we it happen and wanted war, or that we didn't need to go to Europe in the great war or how about Vietnam?  See that works a lot of ways.  My personal feeling after 9-11 was that a lot of patsies joined the military but I still respect them for doing it though they didn't think hard enough to know better.  Did it hurt you as a kid hearing about the pilgrims and the Indians?  Once you got older and could see that the whole narrative was more complex that's fine, you're ready to hear it.  Should we not celebrate the kindness of the natives?

In my case, it was more about wondering if my number would come up in the draft lottery. I know some people that joined, and a portion of those were joining the Coast Guard, Navy, and Air Force to avoid being drafted into the Army.  I knew three guys who joined the Peace Corps (1) and Vista (2)  because they believed in service, just not in war.   Service and sacrifice are rare qualities.  I know that now, and I had at least some awareness of it then. 

I find it difficult to credit celebrating the kindness of the natives as pivotal to the essence of Thanksgiving.  Pilgrims were not thanking the natives so much as God for helping them survive and bending the natives to His will.  

Certainly in later days when we wanted their land and drove them off or killed them, no voice is recorded objecting by asking "But what about the kindness they showed us in the first winter?   They were all driven out subjugated or dead before we started celebrating that holiday. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Zeds Dead said:

But Nooo one one wanted to hear it.

Still don't, your diatribe I mean.

2 hours ago, OverSword said:

That was so tasteless, all I have is a crust of dust at the back of my throat.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Likely Guy said:

That was so tasteless, all I have is a crust of dust at the back of my throat.

I apologize.

• Like 1

On 6/15/2021 at 9:19 AM, OverSword said:

I apologize.

Don't

To many people are sticking there heads in the sand or just don't care what is real.  Or they watch CNN or msnbc both propaganda outlets as are many more. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, susieice said:

This petition isn't spareing anyone's feelings lol

“Jen Fano and all of the Board of Education Members have disgraced our community and clearly do not have the best interests of our children in anything they do,” the petition started late last week reads. “They represent everything that is wrong in education today and are completely incompetent in every aspect of their role.”

• Like 2

3 hours ago, spartan max2 said:

This petition isn't spareing anyone's feelings lol

People like their holidays! :lol:

• Like 3

The majority lose their holidays because the minority think they should have say.  Sooner or later the majority will be pushing back hard and then we will see the whining

• Like 1

On 6/12/2021 at 4:20 AM, Likely Guy said:

Don't forget Star Wars Day.

as  a trekker I am offended 

(just kidding)

• Haha 2

32 minutes ago, godnodog said:

as  a trekker I am offended 

(just kidding)

First Contact Day for you lot.

May the Fourth for the Jedi.

The Doctor Who fans get November 23rd (first broadcast day, “the Day of the Doctor” etc).

• Like 1