Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Biosecurity Expert Who Oversaw Construction of Wuhan Lab Dismisses Leak Theory as '0 Percent' Chance

Grim Reaper 6

A biosecurity expert and virology researcher who was employed at the French embassy in China said that he did not believe COVID-19 came from the Wuhan Institute of Virology after overseeing the construction of a new biosafety security measure at the lab.Gras told the Post that, while the construction of the biosafety levels took place in 2017 and he had not been back to the lab since, the possibility of a pathogen like the coronavirus escaping from the institute's BSL-3 laboratory on another campus in Wuhan was between 1 percent and 3 percent, and the BSL-4 lab at zero percent.

Biosecurity Expert Who Oversaw Construction of Wuhan Lab Dismisses Leak Theory as '0 Percent' Chance (msn.com) 

• Thanks 1

Wow... looks like everyone was worried for no reason, huh?  :blink:

I looked at your link and I have to say that piece is reasonably well-written to confuse the issue without putting blatant falsehoods in print.

A couple of examples:

Gras told the Post that, while the construction of the biosafety levels took place in 2017 and he had not been back to the lab since,

The video I shared explains that the French-Chinese effort to build this lab was a first in China's history and that they had ZERO expertise in such research facilities prior to this.  Also, while the "biosafety levels" may have been constructed in 2017, the facility as a whole took a DECADE to complete due to misunderstanding and cultural disagreements as mentioned in the video.  Also, the very moment the facility opened, the French were expelled from it.  Ostensibly, the lab had been built as the first step in international cooperation with other labs around the globe. 

Gras also vouched for Shi Zhengli, the head of the Wuhan Institute of Virology's Center for Emerging Infectious Diseases. According to the Post, Shi had described the countless "sleepless nights" she had spent worrying about the possibility of the leak, before ultimately coming to the conclusion that the sequence of the virus did not match any kept in her lab.

She makes no mention of the scope of her work and therefore the credulity required to just take her word.  There were 15 thousand bat samples in that lab.

"She is just like any international scientist that I know," Gras had said. "I have absolutely no information or impression or feeling or whatever that she would hide something."

So, in short, NEWSWEEK is assuring everyone of the near-impossibility of a lab leak based on the word of one individual who was part of the effort to build a safe lab and whose reputation will suffer shipwreck if the lab is found to be unsafe...  Yeah... seems reasonable.  Let's go with that.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, and then said:

Wow... looks like everyone was worried for no reason, huh?  :blink:

I looked at your link and I have to say that piece is reasonably well-written to confuse the issue without putting blatant falsehoods in print.

A couple of examples:

Gras told the Post that, while the construction of the biosafety levels took place in 2017 and he had not been back to the lab since,

The video I shared explains that the French-Chinese effort to build this lab was a first in China's history and that they had ZERO expertise in such research facilities prior to this.  Also, while the "biosafety levels" may have been constructed in 2017, the facility as a whole took a DECADE to complete due to misunderstanding and cultural disagreements as mentioned in the video.  Also, the very moment the facility opened, the French were expelled from it.  Ostensibly, the lab had been built as the first step in international cooperation with other labs around the globe. 

Gras also vouched for Shi Zhengli, the head of the Wuhan Institute of Virology's Center for Emerging Infectious Diseases. According to the Post, Shi had described the countless "sleepless nights" she had spent worrying about the possibility of the leak, before ultimately coming to the conclusion that the sequence of the virus did not match any kept in her lab.

She makes no mention of the scope of her work and therefore the credulity required to just take her word.  There were 15 thousand bat samples in that lab.

"She is just like any international scientist that I know," Gras had said. "I have absolutely no information or impression or feeling or whatever that she would hide something."

So, in short, NEWSWEEK is assuring everyone of the near-impossibility of a lab leak based on the word of one individual who was part of the effort to build a safe lab and whose reputation will suffer shipwreck if the lab is found to be unsafe...  Yeah... seems reasonable.  Let's go with that.

I think credibility is where you find. It's very easy to take any source and pick it apart,  but the meat of this topic is simple. Here we have the individual who was responsible for building a level 4 containment facility, and he is willing to put his reputation his to online to make thee comments. I doubt he would do it if he wasn't reasonable certain what he was saying is correct, because like you said if it turns out to be wrong he is done.

Nonething is ever 0%. Less than 1 percent, sure. But 0. Not buying it.

My main thing is that I feel like when your job is to sign off verifying the safety of similar labs, that it would be in your what interest to state that those type of labs couldn't possibly have a leak.

Also, seems like some kind of personal connection

Gras also vouched for Shi Zhengli, the head of the Wuhan Institute of Virology's Center for Emerging Infectious Diseases. According to the Post, Shi had described the countless "sleepless nights" she had spent worrying about the possibility of the leak, before ultimately coming to the conclusion that the sequence of the virus did not match any kept in her lab.

• Like 2

Just another western mouthpiece for a corrupt and irresponsible communist regime that has proven (so many times) that it can't be trusted.

• Like 2

On 6/16/2021 at 1:10 AM, OverSword said:

Just another western mouthpiece for a corrupt and irresponsible communist regime that has proven (so many times) that it can't be trusted.

You may be right, but can you prove that or is it just your opinion?

Edited by Manwon Lender

11 hours ago, Manwon Lender said:

You may be right, but can you prove that or is it just your opinion?

Just common sense IMO. It seems much more likely than naturally occurring.

50 minutes ago, OverSword said:

Just common sense IMO. It seems much more likely than naturally occurring.

Thanks for saying it was your opinion, I thought maybe you had some proof otherwise.