Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Juneteenth Event Sympathetic to Slave Owners Canceled After Widespread Criticism

Grim Reaper 6

An event that was scheduled at the Historic Latta Plantation outside of Charlotte, North Carolina, has been canceledfollowing backlash over its seemingly racist description. . It failed to mention the significance of Juneteenth, but it promised to tell the story of "white refugees," referring to slave owners. The scheduled event sparked outrage on social media, as commenters on the plantation's Facebook began to share their disgust. While the description of the event has been taken down, many are still commenting on its official page.

https://www.newsweek.com/juneteenth-event-sympathetic-slave-owners-canceled-after-widespread-criticism-1600090

• Haha 1

:lol:  

40 minutes ago, Manwon Lender said:

The scheduled event sparked outrage on social media, as commenters on the plantation's Facebook began to share their disgust

Color me shocked!  :whistle:  There's not much on social media that doesn't outrage someone.  In fact, it seems like that's the whole purpose of "social" media.

FWIW, the idea here is stupid and could rightly be perceived as intentional race-baiting but it's hardly surprising that some white Americans will at some point have had quite enough of the guilt-mongers and race-haters and a backlash will begin.  I have no doubt that those who are pushing this hateful agenda are well aware of potential reactions and those reactions are the desired outcome.

Sosha Mee-dya outrage is so common as to be boring but it can also be dangerous.  I doubt it would surprise anyone if an event like this was physically "protested" by groups who got "outraged" online.  This kind of nonsense is going to lead to some poor outcomes in the future and it serves no American's best interest.

• Like 2

Fake, i'm thinking the same people who were first to be outraged, are ones that created that event in a first place. they are pulling Jessy Smallet here. 

• Like 3

58 minutes ago, Sir Wearer of Hats said:

WTF is a Juneteenth?

My thoughts exactly!

13 minutes ago, South Alabam said:

Then why the merry bollox not call it “Abolition Day” or “13 Amendment Day” or “End of Slavery Day” or ****ing ANYTHING other than a nonsense word?

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Sir Wearer of Hats said:

Then why the merry bollox not call it “Abolition Day” or “13 Amendment Day” or “End of Slavery Day” or ****ing ANYTHING other than a nonsense word?

It's kind of like "wokeness".

1 minute ago, Likely Guy said:

Huh? 
Wokeness is an insult directed at (either) people trying to do something socially aware in an unsubtle manner or (alternatively) busybodies desperately trying to find relevance in their lives by being bossy on the behalf of others.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Sir Wearer of Hats said:

Huh? 
Wokeness is an insult directed at (either) people trying to do something socially aware in an unsubtle manner or (alternatively) busybodies desperately trying to find relevance in their lives by being bossy on the behalf of others.

Yeah, I know now. But I recently came back to the internet and instantly need an online dictionary.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Likely Guy said:

The word wokeness in the context your using it an insult, and  a word that was politically weaponized to insult members of one political party by the other. 

• Like 1

Empty content.

Never mind, move along.

Edited by Likely Guy

5 minutes ago, Manwon Lender said:

The word wokeness in the context your using it an insult, and  a word that was politically weaponized to insult members of one political party by the other. 

Actually I didn't use it in any context but Swearer of Hats also filled me in.

Cheers! :tu:

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Likely Guy said:

Yeah, I know now. But I recently came back to the internet and instantly need an online dictionary.

No worries mate, all good.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Sir Wearer of Hats said:

Huh? 

My guess is that the term originated in the African-American community and now has become an official holiday for all Federal employees.  I just read a piece about it.  BTW, the cost of giving Federal employees that one day off is about 600 million dollars.  Gee, I wonder if we have too many people working for the Feds?

https://apnews.com/article/joe-biden-race-and-ethnicity-bills-lifestyle-holidays-58d4fbd343f17df0b03dd0d0a221e452

22 hours ago, Sir Wearer of Hats said:

WTF is a Juneteenth?

I think it in observance of the day the last salve found out he was free somewhere in Texas about five years after slavery was illegal. 

• Like 2

i have little doubts it will be the day when more blacks will be shot by other blacks than any other day of the year, prbly be some looting and burning too.

• Haha 1

On 6/17/2021 at 10:09 PM, aztek said:

i have little doubts it will be the day when more blacks will be shot by other blacks than any other day of the year, prbly be some looting and burning too.

Wow, racist much!!

• Like 1

On 6/15/2021 at 8:24 PM, Sir Wearer of Hats said:

WTF is a Juneteenth?

i think of it as a day of remembrance , all those hundreds of thousands of whites that died fighting for freedom of blacks.

• Like 1

Junteenth is when Republicans took the slaves away from their Democrat task masters. ;)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 6/15/2021 at 8:24 PM, Sir Wearer of Hats said:

WTF is a Juneteenth?

It's the date that General Order #3 was read announcing the Emancipation Proclamation in Galveston, Texas in 1865- General Granger also took over the Federal troops to help ensure a smooth transition in the area. Although General Lee had surrendered in April of 1865, the Army of the Trans-Mississipi had not stood down yet, so General Granger was sent to make it happen.

The slaves in the area were not the last to know or have freedom- Deleware and Kentucky happened later in 1865, and the Choctaw peoples in the Indian Territories were the last to free their slaves in 1866.

It is also celebrated in Coahuila, Mexico by the descendants of the Black Seminoles that escaped from the U.S. in the early 1850's. These descendants are known as Mascogos. 

It started out being known as Jubilee Day or Emancipation Day with the first celebrations happening in Galveston in 1866, but became known as Juneteenth by the 1890's. It became more popular outside the Texas area as the second wave of the Great Migration happened in the 1940's-70's. Though the holiday had a lull during the Civil Rights era of the 50's-60's, it had a large revival going on by the 70's and has been celebrated in many places all over the U.S. ever since. 

Between 1980 and 2021 almost all the states have recognized an annual Juneteenth observance- Texas was the first and South Dakota is the last with it recognizing the holiday for 2020, but not annually. This month a few days ago, it was unanimously passed by the Senate, passed 415-14 in the House, and signed in by the President. Today is the first Juneteenth to be an official Federal holiday. 

On 6/15/2021 at 8:12 PM, Sir Wearer of Hats said:

Its what the black community has called it for ages.

19 hours ago, Buzz_Light_Year said:

Junteenth is when Republicans took the slaves away from their Democrat task masters. ;)

Yeah and now its the GOP waving confederate flags. Seriously have you not yet Googled "the southern strategy party switch'?

Which party used Federal largesse to buy the black vote while simultaneously enslaving them again on inner-city plantations?  Never mind, it's a rhetorical question, just go ahead and yell "RAY-SUS"!  

• Like 1