Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Murder mystery as mother, son of prominent Irish family in SC found dead

Eldorado

2 hours ago, jmccr8 said:

Hi Vincennes

From the earlier link you gave from news articles and the others in that link he is a suspect in their deaths which would be par of course as usually they look at family first. The one article said that it was his rifle that was one of the weapons used and that there were 2 weapons involved in the shootings so that would indicate to me that there was more than one shooter. What I am not seeing is that they collected his clothing for analysis for GSR or testing him for it in either incident. To me it seems that he knows who did what and may have been physically involved with a partner or keeping his mouth shut about what he knows.

When he was shot I didn't see how they determined if if was a gunshot wound, could it have been an injury from trying to slash his own tire? There was nothing that I have read that clarifies this nor is there any information about GSR in that instance either.

No need to hurry in responding as I know you have other tings to deal with.

I've seen that mentioned about one of the guns being his but haven't determined where it's coming from so I hadn't put much stock in it.  But with my current suspicions I'm wondering if we or they know/think they were shot at the same time or did they just assume that.  

• Like 3

2 hours ago, jmccr8 said:

When he was shot I didn't see how they determined if if was a gunshot wound, could it have been an injury from trying to slash his own tire? There was nothing that I have read that clarifies this nor is there any information about GSR in that instance either.

Well they didn't seem to notice that he had pulled over to fix a tire problem without a spare !  I read a couple of times that those heavy duty tires would be quite dangerous to puncture.  

How about the need for extra millions being caused by not only payoffs but blackmail.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, Vincennes said:

Well they didn't seem to notice that he had pulled over to fix a tire problem without a spare !  I read a couple of times that those heavy duty tires would be quite dangerous to puncture.  

How about the need for extra millions being caused by not only payoffs but blackmail.  

Hi Vincennes

Yes the sidewall is reinforced but have been wondering if the tire was puncture through the tread, I will look and see what else I can find out about these types of tires.

How much insurance did he have on his wife and son is something that I have been wondering if he had to come up with a large sum?

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, Vincennes said:

I've seen that mentioned about one of the guns being his but haven't determined where it's coming from so I hadn't put much stock in it.  But with my current suspicions I'm wondering if we or they know/think they were shot at the same time or did they just assume that.  

The hunting rifle likely came from the house was what I am thinking

• Like 2

I did a quick search and it would seem that it is just the sidewall that is reinforced and the tread is still vulnerable to puncture so he would have had to know how/where to slash the tire unless he met someone that was helping him to set the stage and flatten the tire and shoot him. There was no mention of a cartridge casing found at the site so they either picked it up or were using a revolver rather than a semi-automatic.

https://www.edmunds.com/driving-tips/run-flat-tires-a-primer.html

• Blowouts are still possible: If a driver fails to heed or notice the warnings and drives beyond the zero-pressure range or above the speed limitation, the tire can begin to disintegrate, with the same destabilizing effects. Additionally, if the puncture occurs on the sidewall or if the tire hits a large object, the driver will have to call a tow truck. The J.D. Power study found that "customers with vehicles equipped with run-flat tires are nearly twice as likely as those with vehicles equipped with conventional tires to have to replace a tire due to a flat or blowout."

• https://www.bridgestonetire.com/learn/tire-technology/run-flat-tires/

• Self Supporting Tire Information Image

• Like 2

15 hours ago, jmccr8 said:

I did a quick search and it would seem that it is just the sidewall that is reinforced and the tread is still vulnerable to puncture so he would have had to know how/where to slash the tire unless he met someone that was helping him to set the stage and flatten the tire and shoot him. There was no mention of a cartridge casing found at the site so they either picked it up or were using a revolver rather than a semi-automatic.

You have such a nice, informational link here :tu: and I'm having such a hard time with links to information <_<   One other point on the tire repair that hadn't dawned on my is that those cars all have an "On Star" GPS link to tow and repair companies.  Push the button or dial the number and you have immediate access to repair.

It seems as if all the main media have very little information and when I try to dig, I come up with sources that I don't really trust.  (Not that any of us should trust "fake news" on anything anyway but it's very irritating)  It's brought me to searching around YouTube and a lot of times something is mentioned and then skated on by and there's still no credible link.

Here are some things I've come across to maybe watch for but I'm not vouching for their veracity at all.

• "Buster" had a relationhip with Stephen Smith's mother that she referred to as a "fling."

• The earlier death from a "slip" and fall incident of the maid in the house was entered as a wrongful death lawsuit against Alex in 2019.  Supposedly this was settled for $500K which was simply the amount from his home owner's.  Buster was said to have been involved in that accidentt.  This is in that FITS link and a couple of other places.  My suspicion is could the $500K be an amount used to satisfy curiosity and actually the amount under the table our missing millions ?

• It was identified as Alex's knife that slit the tire because it was found at the scene.

• The life-flight to remove Alex from the scene was called BEFORE the police got there !

That FITS news site won't let me see all the articles without subscribing.  I'm about to give up the $8.00 and give in.

I thought'd I'd just mention these things incase they start showing up in actual reports. 

I believe this is the interview where the witness says Paul wanted a phone immediately after the accident to call his grandfather - Not his father,  I thought that interesting.

"I'm pretty sure it was Paul (Murdaugh)" driving boat, survivor tells police - YouTube

T"I'm pretty sure it was Paul (Murdaugh)" driving boat, survivor tells police - YouTubehere at least one 

There at least one paltry little link  -  Packing starting any minute now.  LOL

Edited by Vincennes
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Finally, a legtimate link to some thing !

Mallory Beach estate files Lis Pendens on Alex Murdaugh's property (blufftontoday.com)s

This has got to be to stop Alex from selling his property before they have a chance at judegement.  At least it gives notice to a buyer that there is a lien on hold.  

You know there is something interesting in the fact that the SC Bar suspended his law license almost immediately after the firing/resignation.  Then they say a forensic audit is still to be done.  Well what evidence did they suspend his license on ?  Did they do it with no hearings ?  That should have taken months NOT days !

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Vincennes said:

"Buster" had a relationhip with Stephen Smith's mother that she referred to as a "fling."

Hi Vincennes

I have been looking at several articles related to Steven's death and in the one Steven's mother said that Steven had a relationship inferring that was sexual with one of the members of the Murdaugh family, unfortunately I didn't save it but will go back to see if I can find it.

I did look at the You Tube videos that you linked to and ended up watching several others and will link 2 of them for you but they are both 40 minutes long so I know you are busy packing for your move and am not expecting a quick response as you have more important things to do at this time and do not wish to overly distract you from what you need to get done.:tu:

Edited by jmccr8
not sure but did it anyway
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, jmccr8 said:

I did look at the You Tube videos that you linked to and ended up watching several others and will link 2 of them for you but they are both 40 minutes long

It Was too late to edit but they are both about 20 minutes long

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, jmccr8 said:

It Was too late to edit but they are both about 20 minutes long

Believe me, I understand   Links for bits and pieces in youtube are almost impossible to catch !   

But I had not seen the two you did link and I actually have done enough work today, I'm ready to sit down and watch them.  So thanks !  

Edited by Vincennes
  • Like 1

Well don't worry about that one, those two were a couple with the most information that I've listened to  :tu:   Good job !

What I thought was most of the information points me more toward Alex.  The information from his attorney on his "wounds" borders on the ridiculous  He had a fracture with brain bleed and thety didn't keep him in the hospital ???   The sketch makes me think thaley are not releasing it because they don't want to get some innocent person hunted down.  They think it's a product of Alex's imagination or that's what they think of it.  The bit about meeting the ambulance might explain why no gunshot residue tests.  They did helicopter him away from the scene before the police could get there.  

The problems of interferring at the boating crime scene are also backed up a little by the witness saying Paul wanted a phone immediately to call his grandfather and, it worked, they got there in time to put a half on the police.

So, starting with the S Smith murder, then the maid, then the boat which he was just told wouldn't be covered by insurance.  Did those kids kill more people than he thought he could pay for and he went nuts and killed two of those he felt had caused the problem ?  

Whose bed do you think we should look under to find Buster ?  I would also have to say if I had been Smith's mother and after I had begged them to investigate my son's murder and they came knocking at my door the day after those murders really to accuse me, it would not have been pretty.  I don't know how she kept any cool at all.  

Edited by Vincennes
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Vincennes said:

Well don't worry about that one, those two were a couple with the most information that I've listened to  :tu:   Good job !

What I thought was most of the information points me more toward Alex.  The information from his attorney on his "wounds" borders on the ridiculous  He had a fracture with brain bleed and thety didn't keep him in the hospital ???   The sketch makes me think thaley are not releasing it because they don't want to get some innocent person hunted down.  They think it's a product of Alex's imagination or that's what they think of it.  The bit about meeting the ambulance might explain why no gunshot residue tests.  They did helicopter him away from the scene before the police could get there.  

The problems of interferring at the boating crime scene are also backed up a little by the witness saying Paul wanted a phone immediately to call his grandfather and, it worked, they got there in time to put a half on the police.

So, starting with the S Smith murder, then the maid, then the boat which he was just told wouldn't be covered by insurance.  Did those kids kill more people than he thought he could pay for and he went nuts and killed two of those he felt had caused the problem ?  

Whose bed do you think we should look under to find Buster ?  I would also have to say if I had been Smith's mother and after I had begged them to investigate my son's murder and they came knocking at my door the day after those murders really to accuse me, it would not have been pretty.  I don't know how she kept any cool at all.  

Hi Vincennes

The insurance company is not going to pay which is why the liens on the property were put on their property so his need for money to cover a civil suit. The policy on his boat was commercial and did not cover his son's use of the boat and no business name attached to the policy and that was worth up to 6 million liability and civil suits can go well over 10 million so would think that was why he was stealing money. They were transferring property to her name likely to avoid having a lien put them. I am not sure that one or more of his business partners knew and approved of borrowing the money and were quick to banish him for distance when things went south.

I don't know if more people were killed off but I think Alex was footing a big bill for his son's actions and maybe should have taught them more discipline earlier in life, I knew a school full of spoiled rich kids for 3 years when I was younger.

Yes Mrs. Smith has kept her calm and I appreciate that in people.

• Like 3

They said the puncture in the tire was near the rim in the whitewall so given what I read in the links about these tires it maybe possible that his head injury was during puncturing the tire and not a bullet and there was no mention of profuse bleeding. They also said there were several casing shells collected and yet no holes in the vehicle with bullets of in him so maybe they were just fired off in the air. I doubt that they would have been 10' of each other so how could the shooter miss so many times at that range especially when if it is the same people successfully killed his wife and son?

I wonder who he called to get a helicopter there so fast as well and where did it pick him up because statements about a good Samaritan driving him then a cop then and ambulance then was flown by helicopter how far out of the district did they take him for medical treatment, how far away from town was he when this happened?

Of course I think the descriptions are bogus but still think he was working with someone to make it look like he had been attacked, he knows that strip of road and where the cameras are to help set the alibi/story and am wondering if he really has an opioid addiction has his blood and hair been tested for use and came be measured in the hair growth. Is it a part of a story, he has been a criminal lawyer for a good part of his life and is well educated in how crime works not to mention investigation.

• Like 3

The news said his wife and son were shot and killed in their home. so it so crazy what guns and bullets that killed them? Alex had to know who killed them and who was shooting him . 

it was on the news Alex `s lawyer said alex hired a man to killed him so buster gets alex`s life insurance for 10 million. curtis edward smith was arrested this man .

• Like 3

Alex Murdaugh SC shooting: Man charged assisted suicide, fraud | Charlotte Observer

On 9/13/2021 at 4:51 AM, jmccr8 said:

They said the puncture in the tire was near the rim in the whitewall so given what I read in the links about these tires it maybe possible that his head injury was during puncturing the tire and not a bullet and there was no mention of profuse bleeding. They also said there were several casing shells collected and yet no holes in the vehicle with bullets of in him so maybe they were just fired off in the air. I doubt that they would have been 10' of each other so how could the shooter miss so many times at that range especially when if it is the same people successfully killed his wife and son?

I wonder who he called to get a helicopter there so fast as well and where did it pick him up because statements about a good Samaritan driving him then a cop then and ambulance then was flown by helicopter how far out of the district did they take him for medical treatment, how far away from town was he when this happened?

Of course I think the descriptions are bogus but still think he was working with someone to make it look like he had been attacked, he knows that strip of road and where the cameras are to help set the alibi/story and am wondering if he really has an opioid addiction has his blood and hair been tested for use and came be measured in the hair growth. Is it a part of a story, he has been a criminal lawyer for a good part of his life and is well educated in how crime works not to mention investigation.

Well seems like you were dead on that he was working with someone.  

The helicopter took him all the way to Charlotte for treatment, certainly out of jurisdiction of officers called to his shooting.  I suspect it might have been one of his brothers who arranged that little ride that quickly.

It seems a little off to me that they have arrested the alleged drug dealer and he's now charged up one side and down the other.  Is Alex still just sitting in rehab ?  I do not believe the story that he paid inflated drug prices for twenty years which caused his need for millions.  Thats BS

• Like 5

Is there anyone out here who can listen to this character without a gag reflex.

(2) Attorney Says Alex Murdaugh ‘Decided To End His Life’ After Murders Of His Wife And Son - YouTube

I think they are going to award Alex the Medal of Pity when this is all over.  He's been doing this opiods at a million dollar level and no one in this law firm noticed ?

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Vincennes said:

I think they are going to award Alex the Medal of Pity when this is all over.  He's been doing this opiods at a million dollar level and no one in this law firm noticed ?

Hi Vincennes

thanks for the link and no this bit about opioids is BS they say he started using them after his wife and son died so spending millions in 3 months is impossible unless he was keeping the whole town stoned. Here is a link on street values for comparison.

https://www.addictioncenter.com/drugs/how-much-do-drugs-cost/

Fentanyl patch (25mcg/hr) $9.40 $40
Norco® (325mg/7.5mg) $3.68 $3
Oxycodone (15mg) $0.33 $20
OxyContin® (15mg) $6.52 $15
Percocet® (10mg/325mg) $24.54 $10
Suboxone® film (8mg/2mg) $9.21 $20
  • Like 2

Interesting that he supplied the firearm and disposed of it, I wonder if he had it on him when he got on the helicopter and got rid of it through someone else at the hospital. As far as an entrance and exit wound goes I think that it's just where his hair got parted as the wound was not significant enough for him to stay in the hospital so it seems like more of a flesh wound and it is being played up for sympathy. Still no word on how much insurance he had on his wife or son if he has 10 million on him I would think he had at least that much on his wife as well.

Was he involved in the opioid trade as a supplier/financier and lost a shipment that he needed to make up the money and is trying to fake an addiction to cover other involvements?

• Like 3

1 hour ago, jmccr8 said:

Interesting that he supplied the firearm and disposed of it, I wonder if he had it on him when he got on the helicopter and got rid of it through someone else at the hospital. As far as an entrance and exit wound goes I think that it's just where his hair got parted as the wound was not significant enough for him to stay in the hospital so it seems like more of a flesh wound and it is being played up for sympathy. Still no word on how much insurance he had on his wife or son if he has 10 million on him I would think he had at least that much on his wife as well.

Was he involved in the opioid trade as a supplier/financier and lost a shipment that he needed to make up the money and is trying to fake an addiction to cover other involvements?

The lost shipment thing sounds interesting. Part of this had to be an immediate need.  I can't help but wonder if one need might have been to pay the shooter off for killing his wife and son and his shooting was not an attempt to suicide him but more because he didn't come up with the cash for the murders.  Just a thought.

Another thought is why is there no mention that he had to have an inheritance coming his way from his father's recent death ?  Or was that how he intended to pay his firm back since he no longer had employment and had lost his law license ?

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Vincennes said:

The lost shipment thing sounds interesting. Part of this had to be an immediate need.  I can't help but wonder if one need might have been to pay the shooter off for killing his wife and son and his shooting was not an attempt to suicide him but more because he didn't come up with the cash for the murders.  Just a thought.

Another thought is why is there no mention that he had to have an inheritance coming his way from his father's recent death ?  Or was that how he intended to pay his firm back since he no longer had employment and had lost his law license ?

Hi Vincennes

In part I think he was making sure he had cash to take care of the civil suit or get the liens removed by putting up a cash deposit to be held but there is not much to go on. I am interested in hearing what the shooter/drug dealer has to say as he likely didn't agree if he thought he was going to get sold out  unless he was just a user that was being used but expect him to be a weak link in the plan unless he is paid to keep his mouth shut and do the time. 

Loving as this family has been portrayed he may have been the one to have his wife and son killed for both money (insurance) and to reduce the blowback over the civil suit as the sympathy card could be played. From what I have read Buster seems to be well liked and responsible unlike his younger brother but do wonder if Alex had Steve killed to keep any gossip from tainting the family name.

• Like 2

This case reminds me of one we had many years ago back home.

https://www.cbc.ca/archives/entry/1983-ex-wife-of-colin-thatcher-murdered

On the evening of Jan. 21, 1983, prominent Regina resident JoAnn Wilson left a work meeting bound for home. It would be the last time anyone saw her alive. Less than an hour later a passerby would discover her beaten body lying in a pool of blood inside her own garage. News of her death spread fast, thanks in part to her relationship with her former husband, the flamboyant and controversial politician Colin Thatcher. This report from CBC's The National looks at one of the most notorious murder cases in Saskatchewan's history.

JoAnn Wilson and Colin Thatcher were married for 17 years, and had three children together, before they filed for divorce in 1979. In the ensuing court proceedings the truth about their troubled marriage began to leak out, with stories of physical and emotional abuse becoming public during a bitter custody battle for their children. By 1983, Wilson had remarried and was settling into a new life when tragedy struck on a cold winter night.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, glorybebe said:

I wonder if it was the older son.  Dad might have needed the money to use to keep him out of prison 

Hi Glorybee

From what I have read about Buster I doubt it, the death of Steven was pretty much gone quite until the killing of his mom and brother then the investigation opened up again. I am more inclined to think that someone else in the family was involved in Steven's death and maybe not personally but may have hired someone.

• Like 2