Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Murder mystery as mother, son of prominent Irish family in SC found dead

Eldorado

Here is some info about Curtis Smith, the video clip of him makes me wonder how sharp of a pencil Alex is.:lol:

https://heavy.com/news/curtis-edward-smith/

Curtis Edward Smith is a 61-year-old South Carolina man who is accused of shooting Alex Murdaugh, the prominent lawyer whose wife and son were mysteriously murdered in June at the family’s hunting lodge.

The arrest of Smith, and the charges (including assisted suicide), add another layer of drama and strangeness to the case, which involves a well-known and wealthy family. It was one of the most mysterious double murder cases in the country even before Alex Murdaugh, the patriarch, was himself shot – a shooting that authorities now say was an assisted suicide carried out by Smith at Murdaugh’s behest. Murdaugh survived.

“Agents of the South Carolina Law Enforcement Division Tuesday arrested a Colleton County man in connection with the shooting incident involving Alex Murdaugh on Sept. 4 in Hampton County,” the South Carolina Law Enforcement Division said in a news release on September 14, 2021.

https://www.kulr8.com/news/national/raw-sc-curtis-edward-smith-arrives-in-hampton-co/video_aa48c533-5021-51aa-aa20-a6e0da38f86c.html

• Like 3

Looks like they are reopening the investigation into gloria's death as well.

https://www.live5news.com/2021/09/15/state-authorities-investigating-death-alex-murdaughs-housekeeper-sons-suing-settlement-money/

CHARLESTON, S.C. (WCSC) - Authorities with the South Carolina Law Enforcement Division are investigating the 2018 death of Alex Murdaugh’s housekeeper after a coroner found inconsistencies regarding her death following a reported accident at Murdaugh’s home.

SLED officials announced that they were opening a criminal investigation into Gloria Satterfield’s death as well as the handling of her estate after a request from the Hampton County Coroner’s Office as well as information gathered during the course of other ongoing investigations into Alex Murdaugh.

In a letter addressed to SLED Chief Mark Keel, Coroner Angela Topper requested the assistance of his agency in Satterfield’s death citing a petition involving a wrongful death settlement which stated that Satterfield died as a result of injuries sustained in a trip and fall accident in Hampton County.

Topper said Satterfield’s death was not reported to the coroner at that time and there was no autopsy performed.

• Like 3

This Smith is quite the character

https://www.mshp.dps.missouri.gov/CJ38/Photo?page=0&column=name&id=1225097

Missouri Sex
Offender
Addresses Vehicles Offenses Scars, Marks
and Tattoos
Alias
Information
Photos Release
Information
Name:       Curtis Edward Smith
(First Middle Last)
Date of Birth:       01/20/1966
Curtis Edward Smith
Compliant [link to definition]

Tier Level  3
[link to definition]

Offense Information
Offense Listing
City, State
County
Date
Sex Miscon-child-1st Off * Elkland, MO Webster 11/01/1999

Conviction / Plea Information
Offense Listing
City, State
County
Date
Sex Miscon-child-1st Off * Marshfield, MO Webster 12/15/2004

Victim Information
Offense Listing
Victim Gender
Victim Age
Sex Miscon-child-1st Off *
  • Female
  • Sad 2

Odd he has no drug convictions now wonder it was just the sexual offender site will have to look around more I guess.

Edited by jmccr8
Added context
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, jmccr8 said:

In a letter addressed to SLED Chief Mark Keel, Coroner Angela Topper requested the assistance of his agency in Satterfield’s death citing a petition involving a wrongful death settlement which stated that Satterfield died as a result of injuries sustained in a trip and fall accident in Hampton County.

It's interesting that her death was in 2018 which would back things up more to the date when the embezzlement started. I had been thinking she might have found out the sons were involved with Stephen Smith but could it be she stumbled into Alex's drug connection ?  On the other hand there seems to be some kind of flimflam going on between a friend of his who was hired to represent her sons and Alex.  A settlement amount of $500,000 was reached but none of it ever went to her heirs.  Had Alex been doing that on other settlements as well.  That might cause a need for millions really quick if someone had caught him doing that.  

South Carolina officials open investigation into 2018 death of Murdaugh housekeeper – O

• Like 3

Wow! What a turn of events! I saw on the news this morning that Alex is expected to turn himself in today and that the death of the housekeeper will now be investigated along with the way her estate was handled. According to ABC, Satterfield's family didn't even know there was a settlement in the case until they heard it on the news on TV.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, susieice said:

Wow! What a turn of events! I saw on the news this morning that Alex is expected to turn himself in today and that the death of the housekeeper will now be investigated along with the way her estate was handled. According to , Satterfield's family didn't even know there was a settlement in the case until they heard it on the news on TV.

It is becoming too weird to believe :D  Some of the statements made by Alex's attorney just keep compounding the lies; e.g., There's a link back there in the thread of one of them saying Alex not only had a skull fracture from his head wound but also a brain bleed.  Now come on, they barely kept him over night !  Then the last one busily trying to organize a pity party, Too much !  

Right now, I'm going with none of the attys here are too bright.  One they didn't notice Alex was on drugs for 20 years and not just a little drugs but, no, millions of dollars worth ! ; Allex didn't know that the suicide clause on his life insurance went off after two years, (I guess he never read what he signed )   They seem to think announcing their stupidity absolves them of it.  

• Like 3

This article goes deeper into the estate of the housekeeper. Why would her family trust Murdaugh to handle their lawsuit against himself? That's odd to me, but they did. There was $2 million in settlements they didn't know about until, according to this, they read it in the newspaper. ABC didn't specify what news they learned it from. I thought it was on TV, but maybe not. None of these settlements has a court record where a judge gave a court order. This guy is tied up in all kinds of stuff!

https://www.cnn.com/2021/09/16/us/murdaugh-shooting-arrest-thursday/index.html

"They trusted him," Bland said. "He hand-walked them to his best friend and college roommate to bring a lawsuit against himself on behalf of the estate."
According to Bland, a number of claims were made which all contributed to a settlement, but none of those settlements ever ended up in court, except one for around $500,000 from Lloyds of London insurance.
"There's no court orders approving any of these settlements. And it's required under the law, if you have a wrongful death or survival case, a judge has to approve the settlements. None of that exists in the court record, and our clients never found out that these cases had settled these claims, until it was printed in the paper by investigative reporters," Bland said.
According to the attorney, the claims were settled for more than $2 million, of which his clients have received no part. "It's our job to get them answers, and get them their money back," Bland added.
Edited by susieice
  • Like 3

10 hours ago, jmccr8 said:

Odd he has no drug convictions now wonder it was just the sexual offender site will have to look around more I guess.

Who is Curtis Smith, the man accused of helping Alex Murdaugh attempt suicide? - YouTube

Well looks like he might have even be a Murdaugh himself.  You'd think he could have give a family discount for all those drugs.  At least maybe it kept the money in the family LOL

• Like 3

3 hours ago, susieice said:
"They trusted him," Bland said. "He hand-walked them to his best friend and college roommate to bring a lawsuit against himself on behalf of the estate."
According to Bland, a number of claims were made which all contributed to a settlement, but none of those settlements ever ended up in court, except one for around $500,000 from Lloyds of London insurance.

I don't have a problem with him helping them sue his home owners if she did trip over a dog but for crying out loud she had worked for them for twenty years and I believe one of two sons was handicapped.  No normal person would set things up so they weren't going to see any of the money.  He had to be a totally mean, greedy person.  

Now the wife had set up a forensic audit of the family funds in 2019.  Was she divorcing him ?  Did perhaps Paul run into what was Alex divorce settlement that night ?  

• Like 3

Curtis Edward Smith was in court today and according to the NYP, Murdaugh has turned himself in and faces a hearing later today.

https://nypost.com/2021/09/16/accused-alex-murdaugh-shooter-calls-case-crap-at-hearing/

Murdaugh's lawyers are looking into an individual they think may have been involved in the wife and son's murders. Or may know something about who was. They say the killing would have been personal.

https://www.thestate.com/news/local/crime/article254285258.html

44 minutes ago, Vincennes said:

Now the wife had set up a forensic audit of the family funds in 2019.  Was she divorcing him ?  Did perhaps Paul run into what was Alex divorce settlement that night ?  

She almost must have noticed his addiction, although his brother says he never suspected anything. Was she divorcing him or was she going to spill the beans on what she found out? Interesting how much she knew about all of this. 

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Vincennes said:

It is becoming too weird to believe :D  Some of the statements made by Alex's attorney just keep compounding the lies; e.g., There's a link back there in the thread of one of them saying Alex not only had a skull fracture from his head wound but also a brain bleed.  Now come on, they barely kept him over night !  Then the last one busily trying to organize a pity party, Too much !  

Right now, I'm going with none of the attys here are too bright.  One they didn't notice Alex was on drugs for 20 years and not just a little drugs but, no, millions of dollars worth ! ; Allex didn't know that the suicide clause on his life insurance went off after two years, (I guess he never read what he signed )   They seem to think announcing their stupidity absolves them of it.  

Hi Vincennes

I don't think he has a drug problem and this is just a ploy to garner sympathy and same with the fake suicide he is just grasping to find a way to cover his a$$ as far as I am concerned.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, susieice said:

This article goes deeper into the estate of the housekeeper. Why would her family trust Murdaugh to handle their lawsuit against himself? That's odd to me, but they did. There was $2 million in settlements they didn't know about until, according to this, they read it in the newspaper. ABC didn't specify what news they learned it from. I thought it was on TV, but maybe not. None of these settlements has a court record where a judge gave a court order. This guy is tied up in all kinds of stuff!

https://www.cnn.com/2021/09/16/us/murdaugh-shooting-arrest-thursday/index.html

"There's no court orders approving any of these settlements. And it's required under the law, if you have a wrongful death or survival case, a judge has to approve the settlements. None of that exists in the court record, and our clients never found out that these cases had settled these claims, until it was printed in the paper by investigative reporters," Bland said.
According to the attorney, the claims were settled for more than $2 million, of which his clients have received no part. "It's our job to get them answers, and get them their money back," Bland added.

Hi Susieice

Interesting that there was a reversion clause where if the money was unclaimed that the payment expired and then don't tell anyone that the money was made available.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Vincennes said:

Who is Curtis Smith, the man accused of helping Alex Murdaugh attempt suicide? - YouTube

Well looks like he might have even be a Murdaugh himself.  You'd think he could have give a family discount for all those drugs.  At least maybe it kept the money in the family LOL

Hi Vincennes

Yes I saw that as well and would like to find more on Curtis' criminal record to see if he has had any drug convictions in the past as they are saying he is a drug dealer but meth and pot are not opioids and none were found in his possession. Were the distributing together is something that I am wondering

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Vincennes said:

I don't have a problem with him helping them sue his home owners if she did trip over a dog but for crying out loud she had worked for them for twenty years and I believe one of two sons was handicapped.  No normal person would set things up so they weren't going to see any of the money.  He had to be a totally mean, greedy person.  

Hi Vincennes 

He has been working with lawsuits and adept at working the legal system so they were just being led on like a couple of pasties.

I have been hesitant to say he orchestrated the death of his wife and son but it is a very real possibility given the position that the family was in, I think his law firm will suffer for his actions as well.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, jmccr8 said:

This Smith is quite the character

https://www.mshp.dps.missouri.gov/CJ38/Photo?page=0&column=name&id=1225097

Missouri Sex
Offender
Addresses Vehicles Offenses Scars, Marks
and Tattoos
Alias
Information
Photos Release
Information
Name:       Curtis Edward Smith
(First Middle Last)
Date of Birth:       01/20/1966
Curtis Edward Smith
Compliant [link to definition]

Tier Level  3
[link to definition]

Offense Information
Offense Listing
City, State
County
Date
Sex Miscon-child-1st Off * Elkland, MO Webster 11/01/1999

Conviction / Plea Information
Offense Listing
City, State
County
Date
Sex Miscon-child-1st Off * Marshfield, MO Webster 12/15/2004

Victim Information
Offense Listing
Victim Gender
Victim Age
Sex Miscon-child-1st Off *
  • Female

I just noticed he has thre 1st offences here and they are of the same statute.  County shouldn't make a difference, it's the same state and same charge.  Now that don't just happen,  Looks like Alex had provided some serious help before the speeding ticket.  

• Like 2

Just now, Vincennes said:

I just noticed he has thre 1st offences here and they are of the same statute.  County shouldn't make a difference, it's the same state and same charge.  Now that don't just happen,  Looks like Alex had provided some serious help before the speeding ticket.  

Hi Vincennes

Absolutely, interesting that he didn't serve any time either. Here if you get a conditional discharge and live according to provisions made by the judge  on a first offence then the charge cannot be brought up so it is possible that the time differences would make it a first offence in each case. I knew a fellow that had 6 first offences over a decade period.

I wonder if there are other black sheep in the family that are a part of a drug distribution network

• Like 2

Murdaugh appeared in court for a bond hearing today. He got $20,000 bond and must stay in a rehab facility.

https://www.islandpacket.com/news/local/crime/article254297858.html

Interesting.....only one day in the hospital after being shot in the head!?

Smith allegedly shot and wounded Murdaugh, but there were no signs of injury to Murdaugh’s face or the back of his head in court on Thursday.

• Thanks 2

30 minutes ago, susieice said:

Look at this guy. Not even a shaved area where they may have put in stitches. WTH.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/09/16/us/alex-murdaugh-murders.html

Wonder why no one thought to slap a bandaid on his head or did they know hospital records were going to show nothing.  What happened to the skull fracture and the brain bleed his attorney talked about ?  Disgusting.  Who called that ambulance to life flight him.  They took medical personnel to do that who might have been needed some where else.  <_<

Even his 4:00 bond hearing seems like preferential treatment !

Edited by Vincennes
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, Vincennes said:

Wonder why no one thought to slap a bandaid on his head or did they know hospital records were going to show nothing.  What happened to the skull fracture and the brain bleed his attorney talked about ?  Disgusting.  Who called that ambulance to life flight him.  They took medical personnel to do that who might have been needed some where else.  <_<

WTH Vincennes! This guy doesn't even look like he has a headache! There's got to be a hole there somewhere! I don't believe he was even shot at this point. No bullet hole or fractured skull heals that fast. And the hospital sure doesn't release you in a day. I agree. This is disgusting. Who do they think they're fooling?

Edited by susieice
  • Like 2

I think  Alex and Buster are the heartless killers  just to make money, They had to have large life insurances on the wife and  the other son.

Just like that movie the Bad Seed.:( 

• Like 1

I know a lot of people don't like Nancy Grace but she is sure right on the money in this interview.  All of the attorneys have really added disgrace to the legal profession by just opening their mouths and streaming lies !

Nancy Grace on new developments in Murdaugh murders, Gabby Petito disappearance (msn.com)

• Like 2