Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Choosing what you want to dream about

Eldorado

The field of dream engineering harnesses virtual reality, brain stimulation, sounds, and smells to unravel the secrets of manipulating our dreams.

Scientists who study dream engineering believe it could have serious uses, from treating nightmare disorders to improving mood and even enhancing memory.

And as technology improves, the chance to influence our sleeping state is expanding beyond the lab.

Thanks to advances in virtual reality and wearable devices, we might soon even be able to engineer our dreams at home.

Full monty at ExP Mag

Edited by Eldorado
  • Like 2

I can't choose what to dream about, but over the last few years, I've been able to exit a bad dream somehow.

For example:

If I'm being chased by a crazy woman in a striped jumper, carrying a gnome that fires poison darts from its mouth, another part of my brain chips in and says, "Yeah, ok. Enough's enough"  and I wake up!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, acute said:

I can't choose what to dream about, but over the last few years, I've been able to exit a bad dream somehow.

For example:

If I'm being chased by a crazy woman in a striped jumper, carrying a gnome that fires poison darts from its mouth, another part of my brain chips in and says, "Yeah, ok. Enough's enough"  and I wake up!

One of my earliest memories, I'm thinking I must have been about 4 years old, is of being chased by a black bear and telling myself it was a dream and to wake up.  Nothing like that has occurred since then but I remember that one clearly.

• Like 1

After waking in the midst of a dream, I sometimes go back to sleep to continue it in order to find out what happened next .....