Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The cult of 'busyness'

Eldorado

5 hours ago, Desertrat56 said:

I look forward to retirement so that I get to spend 6 hours working on the house more than one day a week.   I think I will get a lot more done.  and I will be able to travel for 2 weeks if I want to.  I have never been bored, and I don't expect to be when I retire either, at the worst if I am bedridden I still have a lot of books I haven't read yet.

I am very sorry to have to tell you that even though you retire and have, “all the time in the world” you can still not get everything done.  But, what I’m really enjoying right now is the ride.  I’m still doing the work, but at a much slower and relaxed pace.  It’s actually fun now, because I’ve learned I don’t have to stress about finishing all in one day.  I can leave it, it will be there for me tomorrow lol.  It feels kinda freeing, I’m still trying to get used to how good it is.  Only down side is I didn’t get more money made.  Could have worked a few more and still may…..but not now lol

Edited by Guyver
Typo
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, Eldorado said:

Busyness is not only about packing each day with as much as possible, but also the value placed on doing so: Being busy makes people feel good about themselves, and they use busyness, voluntarily, to signal their worth to others.

“Working in TV production, I have always thought that being busy is a good thing,” Clarke said. “It means that the people around you trust you. I definitely have this feeling that being busy means you are important.”

Busyness is a powerful social signal, though a somewhat counterintuitive one. At the turn of the 20th century, economists predicted that the ultimate symbol of wealth and success would be leisure—showing others that you were so successful that you could abstain from work.

Instead, the opposite occurred. It’s not free time, but busyness, that gestures to a person’s relevance.

Full article at Vice Mag

In their normal state then people do enjoy working.

What they dont like doing is working hard for no gain, or being coerced into working hard, or having a bad manager or negative work colleague. Work is one of those areas of life which we use to fulfil our psychological needs.

I recommend having a look at Maslow`s Hierarchy of Needs to learn more about what our psychological needs are. While we can see them all at work in ourselves, unless they are identified and pointed out by looking at the hierarchy then we can be unconscious of many of them. Status, power, recognition, and self-actualisation (living up to ones full potential), can be gained through achievement and working hard. Of course, you need a company to work at where the managers are actually trained to understand the psychological needs of employees. Rather than just sticking any old person into a management role.

13 hours ago, Guyver said:

I am very sorry to have to tell you that even though you retire and have, “all the time in the world” you can still not get everything done.  But, what I’m really enjoying right now is the ride.  I’m still doing the work, but at a much slower and relaxed pace.  It’s actually fun now, because I’ve learned I don’t have to stress about finishing all in one day.  I can leave it, it will be there for me tomorrow lol.  It feels kinda freeing, I’m still trying to get used to how good it is.  Only down side is I didn’t get more money made.  Could have worked a few more and still may…..but not now lol

Oh, I know my list is so long, it will take me 10 years to get through it if I have enough money, 20 if I have to scrimp.  But in between I will travel, take 2 or 3 weeks to visit  my daughter and her family, spend a month in Australia with my cousin, etc.   The stress I have now is not having time to get more than one or two small things done during the week and maybe start one big thing on the weekend.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

"Don't just do something, sit there".

• Haha 2