Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

North Korean defector says 'even North Korea was not this nuts'

aztek

As American educational institutions continue to be called into question, a North Korean defector fears the United States' future "is as bleak as North Korea" after she attended one of the country's most prestigious universities.

"I expected that I was paying this fortune, all this time and energy, to learn how to think. But they are forcing you to think the way they want you to think," Park said in an interview with Fox News. "I realized, wow, this is insane. I thought America was different but I saw so many similarities to what I saw in North Korea that I started worrying."

https://www.foxnews.com/us/north-korean-defector-ivy-league-nuts

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

If you want freedom of thought, don't go to university. It is so disproportional in terms of political beliefs and very confrontational when presented with alternative opinions.

• Like 2

I watched that video. Her points are valid, and also hilarious. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Hugh Mungus said:

If you want freedom of thought, don't go to university. It is so disproportional in terms of political beliefs and very confrontational when presented with alternative opinions.

Universities used to teach people to think. Now they seem to be just an extension of the K-12 public daycare system. Where conformity is praised, and questions and thought, discouraged. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, aztek said:

why are we focused on k12? crt does not belong in any grade. or school. it IS institutional racism. 

Because colleges aren't public here in the US.  The students choose their college and pay for it.  Capitalism would decide whether CRT was taught there instead when the opponents of CRT take their money elsewhere.

13 hours ago, DieChecker said:

Universities used to teach people to think. Now they seem to be just an extension of the K-12 public daycare system. Where conformity is praised, and questions and thought, discouraged. 

I thought of it more as a certification of pedigree for the middle/upper class.  It also shows employers that you can commit for four years.    

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Gromdor said:

Because colleges aren't public here in the US. 

Tennessee has free two year community colleges. Enough to get a good job in a lot of trades. Or you can get the first two years of a four year degree.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Michelle said:

Tennessee has free two year community colleges. Enough to get a good job in a lot of trades. Or you can get the first two years of a four year degree.

Do they teach CRT?

2 minutes ago, Gromdor said:

Do they teach CRT?

I have no idea, but I had a black, female teacher thirty years ago that raved like a lunatic. She was on topic less than half the time. "White people invented aids to kill off all blacks" and crap like that. I went to the dean and complained. I was allowed to eliminate the class and get my money back after half a semester.

1 minute ago, Michelle said:

I have no idea, but I had a black, female teacher thirty years ago that raved like a lunatic. She was on topic less than half the time. "White people invented aids to kill off all blacks" and crap like that. I went to the dean and complained. I was allowed to eliminate the class and get my money back after half a semester.

I thought it was free?

Edit to add: Good use of free market capitalism to express your displease, though.

Edited by Gromdor

4 minutes ago, Gromdor said:

I thought it was free?

It wasn't back then, so no "gotcha" moment for you. I know how much effort you put into trying to find them.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Michelle said:

It wasn't back then, so no "gotcha" moment for you. I know how much effort you put into trying to find them.

Gotcha moments are only needed if you are on the opposite side of a debate.  Your example went along with exactly what I said.  CRT probably isn't being taught there as it would most likely be a class that you had to sign up for in a college setting.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Gromdor said:

Gotcha moments are only needed if you are on the opposite side of a debate.  Your example went along with exactly what I said.  CRT probably isn't being taught there as it would most likely be a class that you had to sign up for in a college setting.  

That is the problem though. It isn't a class specifically called CRT in K-12. They work into whatever the lesson of the day is.

Schools Tell Parents Not to Monitor Their Child’s Virtual Classrooms

Parents in Tennessee are facing more challenges in the public education of their children in distance learning amid the coronavirus crisis.

One family pulled a second-grade student out of a school pushing social-justice curriculum while another school district in the state is requiring parents to sign off an agreement to not observe their children’s online classes which are being streamed in to the privacy of their own homes.

One father announced that he was pulling his daughter out of her second-grade class “immediately” after finding disturbing content in her Nashville classroom materials. T. Grant Benson, co-founder of the news website Breaking911, shared his findings on Twitter.

cont...

https://www.educationviews.org/schools-tell-parents-not-to-monitor-their-childs-virtual-classrooms/

3 minutes ago, Michelle said:

That is the problem though. It isn't a class specifically called CRT in K-12. They work into whatever the lesson of the day is.

Schools Tell Parents Not to Monitor Their Child’s Virtual Classrooms

Parents in Tennessee are facing more challenges in the public education of their children in distance learning amid the coronavirus crisis.

One family pulled a second-grade student out of a school pushing social-justice curriculum while another school district in the state is requiring parents to sign off an agreement to not observe their children’s online classes which are being streamed in to the privacy of their own homes.

One father announced that he was pulling his daughter out of her second-grade class “immediately” after finding disturbing content in her Nashville classroom materials. T. Grant Benson, co-founder of the news website Breaking911, shared his findings on Twitter.

cont...

https://www.educationviews.org/schools-tell-parents-not-to-monitor-their-childs-virtual-classrooms/

Which is weird considering that Tennessee is one of the states that banned CRT.  Tennessee bans critical race theory from schools, will withhold funding (tennessean.com)

I just shrug at the whole banning of the CRT thing.  It's an idea- kinda like Trumpism.  You can't pass a law and think it will disappear.  People will say and think whatever they want anyways.  Maybe the stuff you linked has to do with CRT and maybe it is something else entirely.   I don't see it as a problem and apparently those that do and banned it haven't changed anything.  I can't bring myself to worry.  

Political Cartoons by Steve Kelley

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Gromdor said:

Because colleges aren't public here in the US.  The students choose their college and pay for it.  Capitalism would decide whether CRT was taught there instead when the opponents of CRT take their money elsewhere.

I thought of it more as a certification of pedigree for the middle/upper class.  It also shows employers that you can commit for four years.    

Yeah, four years taking snap courses in new ways of making bayberry candles gets you that worthless BA degree that doesn't land you that great job so you can easily pay off your student loan. That's what happens when the goal of universities is to enroll sub par intellects to rake in said loans, hand over fist, while running what amounts to four year daycare centers for immature adults.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Gromdor said:

Which is weird considering that Tennessee is one of the states that banned CRT.  Tennessee bans critical race theory from schools, will withhold funding (tennessean.com)

I just shrug at the whole banning of the CRT thing.  It's an idea- kinda like Trumpism.  You can't pass a law and think it will disappear.  People will say and think whatever they want anyways.  Maybe the stuff you linked has to do with CRT and maybe it is something else entirely.   I don't see it as a problem and apparently those that do and banned it haven't changed anything.  I can't bring myself to worry.  

You would be worried if CRT wasn’t taught in class? 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Gromdor said:

Most colleges are "public universities" here, except those ivy league people.

Public dosen't mean free thought so I'm not exactly sure what makes them public :lol: lol

Edited by spartan max2

2 hours ago, spartan max2 said:

Most colleges are "public universities" here, except those ivy league people.

Public dosen't mean free thought so I'm not exactly sure what makes them public :lol: lol

I meant public as in government paid for like K-12.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, preacherman76 said:

You would be worried if CRT wasn’t taught in class? 

Nah.  It's like Trumpism or Christianity.  It's a concept or idea.  People are going to have their own ideas and are going to talk about them no matter what.  Can't pass a law to silence that.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Hammerclaw said:

Yeah, four years taking snap courses in new ways of making bayberry candles gets you that worthless BA degree that doesn't land you that great job so you can easily pay off your student loan. That's what happens when the goal of universities is to enroll sub par intellects to rake in said loans, hand over fist, while running what amounts to four year daycare centers for immature adults.

Like I said before.  I view college degrees as more of a certification of pedigree and proof that you can commit to four years of something.  The corporate world also requires it as a minimum to join if you are headed down that path.  They still earn 61% more on the average over those without the degree.  So four years of bayberry candle classes is still better than nothing- at least for the few that had the money to go through college debt free.  

• Like 2

Like I said before.  I view college degrees as more of a certification of pedigree and proof that you can commit to four years of something.  The corporate world also requires it as a minimum to join if you are headed down that path.  They still earn 61% more on the average over those without the degree.  So four years of bayberry candle classes is still better than nothing- at least for the few that had the money to go through college debt free.  

Only the ones that land a job. The rest are begging the guvment to please wipe out their debt before their poor mommy and daddy die and they have move out and go to to work at MacDonald's. Four years of nothing won't get you a job. If it does, it's be lower echelon, entry level management and the corporate world mostly promotes non college grads, in house, as they have years of real work experience. So four years as English major and a carefully affected, non rhotic lisp won't get you much, anymore.

Nah.  It's like Trumpism or Christianity.  It's a concept or idea.  People are going to have their own ideas and are going to talk about them no matter what.  Can't pass a law to silence that.

Yeah but you can make laws that don’t allow discrimination based on skin color. In fact isn’t there already something on the books about that?

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Hammerclaw said:

Only the ones that land a job. The rest are begging the guvment to please wipe out their debt before their poor mommy and daddy die and they have move out and go to to work at MacDonald's. Four years of nothing won't get you a job. If it does, it's be lower echelon, entry level management and the corporate world mostly promotes non college grads, in house, as they have years of real work experience. So four years as English major and a carefully affected, non rhotic lisp won't get you much, anymore.

That's an over-generalization- the squeaky wheel does get the grease after all.  The bulk of college grads do land jobs and still do alright.  The trend is pushing the way you say, however but it isn't as horrible as it is made out to be so far.  People are still going to college and racking up debt.  I think it will come to a boil and have to be addressed eventually.  Similar to what is happening with the housing issues that we have a thread for.  That being said, there is a good chance as thing stands for my kid to go to college in Europe because it would be cheaper to pay for his stay and education there compared to the costs here.  The degree does increase the average pay over the unwashed masses by 61% still so it is worth a moderate investment.  

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, preacherman76 said:

Yeah but you can make laws that don’t allow discrimination based on skin color. In fact isn’t there already something on the books about that?

You can pass laws prohibiting actions but not thoughts and even then stuff like the first amendment would be brought into play.  (White supremacists still can have rallies and spread their ideas after all.)

• Like 1