Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Contacting ET is 'reckless', say astronomers

We are the only known example of civilization (unless we count ants, termites, bees, wasps, and hornets).

There will be aspects of our civilization that aliens haven`t comprehended, maybe physics is even different for them. And thats exactly why they would conquer us Borg style to improve their own civilization.

• Sad 1

Doesn’t matter either way.  Humanity is doomed because too much evil is rooted among us already (corruption, greed, politicians, etc). Therefore the notion that making contact would unite all nations is voided.

Edited by DreadLordAvatar
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, DreadLordAvatar said:

Doesn’t matter either way.  Humanity is doomed because too much evil is rooted among us already (corruption, greed, politicians, etc).

And there are too much bad things as well. Like Renault and Citroen.

• Haha 4

7 hours ago, mesuma said:

The real puzzle for me is how they think we're going to contact anyone with radio waves. 

Radio waves are the pulse and the "noise" of the Universe. They are a very reliable carrier and I do not understand why some people think/say that sophisticated alienz use something other. If so, these sophisticated alienz would had used radio waves at an earlier stage of their development process and if they are looking for signals they would include radio waves as well.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, mesuma said:

The real puzzle for me is how they think we're going to contact anyone with radio waves.  This is where the recent UFO/UAP thing baffles me.  If that is UFOs flying around (we don't really have any proof at all that it is) then why the hell would SETI or NASA still be pushing ahead with outdated means of communication or propulsion (in NASAs case)? 

Why would anyone capable of critical thought think these UFOs are from space?

• Thanks 1

We are not alone...

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Golden Duck said:

May as well be

They are Aliens among us, and they have been here as long as we have!:yes:

Look there one now!!:lol:

07CCBE8C-6AE3-4A34-9CAF-4DBA52A98A7B-3793-000007735F77EB3D.jpg

54B24AC3-7BA7-4CC6-8E54-DCABF1A8E5F2-2770-000004872A62C9BA.jpg

E277AF14-EC16-4E20-B789-E0B05EE317D3-1478-000001F8F2E622D3.gif

• Like 1

9 hours ago, DreadLordAvatar said:

Doesn’t matter either way.  Humanity is doomed because too much evil is rooted among us already (corruption, greed, politicians, etc). Therefore the notion that making contact would unite all nations is voided.

It could be like that television soap opera called V where the aliens were the corrupt, greedy politicians creating division.   But then, probably not, since that seems to be too human.

9 hours ago, toast said:

And there are too much bad things as well. Like Renault and Citroen.

In the states it is Hunday and Kia.    :lol:

• Haha 2

13 hours ago, Rlyeh said:

Why would anyone capable of critical thought think these UFOs are from space?

As I have said on here before, the people currently involved in the release of the navy videos seem to be trying to lead us down that path.  A Dr Davis who worked for AATIP even said he saw no evidence that these tic tacs etc were of an earthly nature or human origin.  I personally think it's bullhonk but again, supposed "critically" thinking people are insinuating these ideas.

2 minutes ago, mesuma said:

As I have said on here before, the people currently involved in the release of the navy videos seem to be trying to lead us down that path.  A Dr Davis who worked for AATIP even said he saw no evidence that these tic tacs etc were of an earthly nature or human origin.  I personally think it's bullhonk but again, supposed "critically" thinking people are insinuating these ideas.

If you don't know Dr. Davis personally you don't know that he is a critical thinker.  He may have been paid to say whatever or he may believe something he has no proof of OR he may just be misinformed about the actual technology that our military or another country's military is capable of.

Edited by Desertrat56

15 hours ago, toast said:

Radio waves are the pulse and the "noise" of the Universe. They are a very reliable carrier and I do not understand why some people think/say that sophisticated alienz use something other. If so, these sophisticated alienz would had used radio waves at an earlier stage of their development process and if they are looking for signals they would include radio waves as well.

I'm not saying they are not reliable but by the time we or they ever got any message, considering how far away we are now looking for an advanced civilisation I think either they or we would be long gone.  It's surely not the best way to communicate over large distances. 

2 minutes ago, Desertrat56 said:

If you don't know Dr. Davis personally you don't know that he is a critical thinker.  He may have been paid to say whatever or he may believe something he has no proof of OR he may just be misinformed about the actual technology that our military or another country's military is capable of.

That is correct but the same could be said vice versa.  Just because I don't know him doesn't mean he is instantly a liar.  Yes he may be ill informed but then maybe he is not. 

3 minutes ago, mesuma said:

That is correct but the same could be said vice versa.  Just because I don't know him doesn't mean he is instantly a liar.  Yes he may be ill informed but then maybe he is not. 

My comment was referring to your "supposedly critically thinking people" reference.   It has nothing to do with anything someone claims a Dr. Davis said or believes.  You  might be the only one who supposes that everyone expects a doctor to be a critical thinker.  It has never been true that people who call themselves doctors are always considered critical thinkers.

Edited by Desertrat56
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Desertrat56 said:

My comment was referring to your "supposedly critically thinking people" reference.   It has nothing to do with anything someone claims a Dr. Davis said or believes.  

But you included what may have motivated him to write a report so it does have something to do with him.  I also never made a "supposedly critically thinking people" comment, you did.  I just quoted that you said it.  What I said was that just because I don't know him doesn't mean I should by default regard him as a liar.  

Just now, mesuma said:

But you included what may have motivated him to write a report so it does have something to do with him.  I also never made a "supposedly critically thinking people" comment, you did.  I just quoted that you said it.  What I said was that just because I don't know him doesn't mean I should by default regard him as a liar.  

I was giving examples of why you should never assume someone is a critical thinker.  Obviously you are not familiar with critical thinking yourself.

• Like 1

Just now, Desertrat56 said:

I was giving examples of why you should never assume someone is a critical thinker.  Obviously you are not familiar with critical thinking yourself.

I think you'll find I said it was BS no? 

20 minutes ago, mesuma said:

1 minute ago, mesuma said:

I also never made a "supposedly critically thinking people" comment, you did.  I just quoted that you said it.  What I said was that just because I don't know him doesn't mean I should by default regard him as a liar.  

Really?  You were not quoting me, I was quoting you.   Maybe you got me confused with someone else.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Desertrat56 said:

Really?  You were not quoting me, I was quoting you.   Maybe you got me confused with someone else.

My apologies. I have taken a quote from RIyeh.

Edited by mesuma
  • Like 1

Just now, mesuma said:

My apologies. I have taken a quote from Ryleh.

Your post did not indicate that you were quoting anyone in the sentence I jumped on.   I must have missed something in the thread.  I thought I had read it through but must have jumped a page.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, mesuma said:

I'm not saying they are not reliable but by the time we or they ever got any message, considering how far away we are now looking for an advanced civilisation I think either they or we would be long gone.  It's surely not the best way to communicate over large distances. 

Still, the consensus remains that FTL communications is impossible.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Golden Duck said:

Still, the consensus remains that FTL communications is impossible.

You must not watch Star Trek.   :lol:

• Haha 2

40 minutes ago, mesuma said:

I'm not saying they are not reliable but by the time we or they ever got any message, considering how far away we are now looking for an advanced civilisation I think either they or we would be long gone. 

Its technically possible we to receive radio waves from civilizations which disappeared a long time ago in the same way as we receive photons from stars which disappeared billions of years ago. En-route is en-route, no matter what the sender`s status is.

It's surely not the best way to communicate over large distances. 

And the "best way" would be?

Curious.

• Like 4