Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Contacting ET is 'reckless', say astronomers

And btw., have you ever heard of synesthesia?

You know, hearing music while watching certain color patterns, seeing colors while reading words, and things like that?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Rlyeh said:

And yet here you are attempting to apply your thinking to aliens.

At least I am thinking.  I'm trying to focus attention on the enormity of the scale of the situation you describe.  On Earth any person from any nation is a potential threat.  I believe it's possible to travel right around the planet in as little as Eighty Days?  It is not possible to travel to even the closest star in one human lifetime.

2 hours ago, Rlyeh said:

There is your first problem, you've been watching too much science fiction.  There is absolutely no reason to travel in person to a place you intend to wipe out. 

True, and true.  But even robotic weapons will need to cross vast amounts of space, which will take a long time.

2 hours ago, Rlyeh said:

Suppose there is an intelligent species for what ever the reason decides Earth could be a threat.  They don't travel here, they monitor Earth and collect data about it's life.  If any direct conflict occurs, they're prepared.

So - are there aliens already here, weapons at the ready, for if & when humanity poses a threat?

2 hours ago, Rlyeh said:

Centuries?  We've got plans for probes that could take decades to reach the nearest star.

Really?  Link?

2 hours ago, Rlyeh said:

Wait.. why would their technology come to a stand still?  It seems like you think any kind of attack means dropping everything and running head on into battle.

I'm imagining they're in spaceships with limited resources.  And the further from home they are, the harder communication becomes.  So they might not be able to build all the new tech developed back on their home planet.  Especially when they're into their nth generation on board and have lost all sense of purpose or connection with home.  Maybe.

2 hours ago, Rlyeh said:

Dead or not.  If we can't find him, what's the chance of finding anyone light years away who wants to remain hidden as long as possible?

When our self-replicating probes are scouring distant planets for life they won't be light-years away.  They'll be there, on the spot, doing their job.  Trust me - they'll work.  As for Jimmy Hoffa - to the best of my knowledge there are no self-replicating probes currently searching for him.  

2 hours ago, Rlyeh said:

Why are you lying then?  Jesus didn't say anything about the US or alien life.

Raptor is deliberately conflating "US" with "us" in a lame attempt to link Jesus's teachings to the modern world, even though his pun only works in one language.  Just ignore him.

• Sad 1

13 hours ago, Brandy333 said:

Experts claim there are 3 hostile Alien species visiting Earth | Ancient Code (ancient-code.com)

Have you met nice aliens?   I found this article, may be fact, fiction or a combination of both.   There have been stories of abductees who report their experience was not very pleasant.   I for one don't care to be abducted.

Tom1200, why do you find it sad what I said.   I don't see anything ecstatic about being abducted by aliens, only to be stripped and long needles and probes poked in every orifice.   

• Confused 1

35 minutes ago, Tom1200 said:

I'm imagining they're in spaceships with limited resources.  And the further from home they are, the harder communication becomes.  So they might not be able to build all the new tech developed back on their home planet.  Especially when they're into their nth generation on board and have lost all sense of purpose or connection with home.  Maybe.

Who's to say it would be a generation ship? Perhaps a highly advanced species might have perfected a form of hibernation. Where thousands of years could pass with no degradation to themselves. It would even be possible that they have reached peak technology. Where it isn't stagnate due to limitations, but due to having hit the limits. They may have even transcended organic matter and exist as some type of consciousness A.I. for all we know. If such a thing were the case then they might not need many resources. Time itself wouldn't matter. 

Then again if they figured out time travel, then both time and distance are equally meaningless. 

Edited by XenoFish
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Tom1200 said:

At least I am thinking.

And ignoring any possibility of hostile contact.

I'm trying to focus attention on the enormity of the scale of the situation you describe.  On Earth any person from any nation is a potential threat.  I believe it's possible to travel right around the planet in as little as Eighty Days?  It is not possible to travel to even the closest star in one human lifetime.

By suggesting some Hollywood space battle you really aren't.

Really?  Link?

https://breakthroughinitiatives.org/initiative/3

In the last decade and a half, rapid technological advances have opened up the possibility of light-powered space travel at a significant fraction of light speed. This involves a ground-based light beamer pushing ultra-light nanocrafts – miniature space probes attached to lightsails – to speeds of up to 100 million miles an hour. Such a system would allow a flyby mission to reach Alpha Centauri in just over 20 years from launch, beaming home images of its recently-discovered planet Proxima b, and any other planets that may lie in the system, as well as collecting other scientific data such as analysis of magnetic fields.

I'm not talking about some alien scavengers.  I'm suggesting a hypothetical scenario in which an alien race is either in the process of developing interstellar travel or has it in limited forms.  If they've encountered hostilities before, it may be safer just to eliminate other developing races before they pose a direct threat.

When our self-replicating probes are scouring distant planets for life they won't be light-years away.  They'll be there, on the spot, doing their job.  Trust me - they'll work.  As for Jimmy Hoffa - to the best of my knowledge there are no self-replicating probes currently searching for him.  

Currently there are none looking for life either.

• Thanks 1

I think the book/movie "War of the Worlds" made a sensible suggestion: our bacteria will finish them off. Or the fungi.

1 hour ago, Abramelin said:

And btw., have you ever heard of synesthesia?

You know, hearing music while watching certain color patterns, seeing colors while reading words, and things like that?

Another nice one to explain 'visiting aliens' :

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypnopompic

3 hours ago, Brandy333 said:

Tom1200, why do you find it sad what I said.   I don't see anything ecstatic about being abducted by aliens, only to be stripped and long needles and probes poked in every orifice.   

Because you appear to be taking utter nonsense seriously.  Your contribution to the discussion was a link to an article stating "Experts claim there are three hostile Alien species visiting Earth".  You also implied you uncritically accept the stories of 'abductees'.  

2 hours ago, XenoFish said:

Who's to say it would be a generation ship? Perhaps a highly advanced species might have perfected a form of hibernation. Where thousands of years could pass with no degradation to themselves... They may have even transcended organic matter and exist as some type of consciousness A.I. for all we know...

Then again if they figured out time travel, then both time and distance are equally meaningless. 

Two excellent points offering solutions to interstellar travel, and how to survive the awfully long journeys.  These really deserve a whole dedicated thread to tease out the pros and cons of different approaches.  At least we can agree that journey times of millennia are inevitable without completely novel physics.

I instinctively dislike the notion of time travel as it contradicts everything I understand about spacetime.  (But I might be wrong.) 

(Bear in mind I was responding to a specific point by Rlyeh about updating tech on a long flight.)

2 hours ago, Rlyeh said:

By suggesting some Hollywood space battle you really aren't.

?  I'm not the one dreaming up fanciful scenarios of hostile aliens trying to wipe out humanity.  I've argued the exact opposite - that there's virtually no chance of this occurring.  Humanity is not a threat to the universe and there's no logical reason to hide from aliens just because they might want to harm us.

2 hours ago, Rlyeh said:

https://breakthroughinitiatives.org/initiative/3

In the last decade and a half, rapid technological advances have opened up the possibility of light-powered space travel at a significant fraction of light speed. This involves a ground-based light beamer pushing ultra-light nanocrafts – miniature space probes attached to lightsails – to speeds of up to 100 million miles an hour. Such a system would allow a flyby mission to reach Alpha Centauri in just over 20 years from launch, beaming home images of its recently-discovered planet Proxima b, and any other planets that may lie in the system, as well as collecting other scientific data such as analysis of magnetic fields.

Thanks for the link.  But it does nothing to contradict my argument as it clearly relates to 'nanocrafts', not vessels of any substantial mass.  We have no method of propulsion that can accelerate a craft to any significant fraction of the speed of light.  The fastest probe we currently have would take about 8000 years to reach Alpha Centauri, if we could point it in the right direction, which we can't.  

3 hours ago, Rlyeh said:

If they've encountered hostilities before, it may be safer just to eliminate other developing races before they pose a direct threat.

You make it sound so easy...  

• Sad 1

39 minutes ago, Tom1200 said:

Two excellent points offering solutions to interstellar travel, and how to survive the awfully long journeys.  These really deserve a whole dedicated thread to tease out the pros and cons of different approaches.  At least we can agree that journey times of millennia are inevitable without completely novel physics.

I instinctively dislike the notion of time travel as it contradicts everything I understand about spacetime.  (But I might be wrong.) 

"Time Travel" might have been the wrong term for it. More like connecting one point in space to another, removing the travel time option. Making a 1000 year journey in a matter of minutes. However, that level of technology must be amazing to have. If such a species could do that. They might've gone beyond this universe. I can only speculate. 

Personally though. I don't think full body humans could make it past Pluto or even successfully to Mars if I'm honest. Space is unforgiving. So we might be relegated to cybernetic (brains in mechanical bodies) really get past earth. 

That is unless we develop better propulsion, protection, and life support. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, XenoFish said:

"Time Travel" might have been the wrong term for it. More like connecting one point in space to another, removing the travel time option. Making a 1000 year journey in a matter of minutes. However, that level of technology must be amazing to have. If such a species could do that. They might've gone beyond this universe. I can only speculate. 

Personally though. I don't think full body humans could make it past Pluto or even successfully to Mars if I'm honest. Space is unforgiving. So we might be relegated to cybernetic (brains in mechanical bodies) really get past earth. 

That is unless we develop better propulsion, protection, and life support. 

Connecting one point in space to another is what is know as a Einstein-Rosen Bridge or better known as a Wormhole. Three major problems with that technology for us, first making the opening large enough to enter, two maintaining stability so it doesn't collapse while your inside it, third currently the human races knowledge of Astrophysics is very weak. While Einstein gave us a fantastic working knowledge of physics, there is still so much we don't know that our present knowledge doesn't even make up half of the full equation. 

But, if we ever reach a point where we are able to create an Einstein-Rosen Bridge time travel would also be possible according to Einstein and Rosen because a wormhole folds / manipulates Space Time. I suspect if we survive long enough as a Species this will be how we travel the Universe, in Star Trek while they never mention it Warp Drive is another form of creating a stable wormhole. 

The picture below is a comical example, but also a true example of mankinds present knowledge of Physics.

02ED6E8A-0D1D-4F53-8693-3AF1011767E5-6932-000007F2EB161213.jpg

Any civilization capable of visiting us, doesn't require any invitation (or permission) from us , to do so.

Such signals are irrelevant, like the fires of native peoples to the European ships passing by.

Edited by Mr Walker
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, naughtynick said:

And you know this how???

Conspiracy theorists told him.

• Haha 3

On 6/21/2021 at 8:25 AM, Manwon Lender said:

Connecting one point in space to another is what is know as a Einstein-Rosen Bridge or better known as a Wormhole. Three major problems with that technology for us, first making the opening large enough to enter, two maintaining stability so it doesn't collapse while your inside it, third currently the human races knowledge of Astrophysics is very weak. While Einstein gave us a fantastic working knowledge of physics, there is still so much we don't know that our present knowledge doesn't even make up half of the full equation. 

But, if we ever reach a point where we are able to create an Einstein-Rosen Bridge time travel would also be possible according to Einstein and Rosen because a wormhole folds / manipulates Space Time. I suspect if we survive long enough as a Species this will be how we travel the Universe, in Star Trek while they never mention it Warp Drive is another form of creating a stable wormhole. 

The picture below is a comical example, but also a true example of mankinds present knowledge of Physics.

02ED6E8A-0D1D-4F53-8693-3AF1011767E5-6932-000007F2EB161213.jpg

It's connecting points in space-time.  There is theorised you don't get the time savings by travelling through one.

• Haha 3