Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Contacting ET is 'reckless', say astronomers

I agree, it is beyond reckless. And who decided it was okay to go ahead with it? The results could affect the whole of our civilisation and yet a handful of idiots with more money than sense have made the decision for us!

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, ouija ouija said:

I agree, it is beyond reckless. And who decided it was okay to go ahead with it? The results could affect the whole of our civilisation and yet a handful of idiots with more money than sense have made the decision for us!

Im thinking that presumably, any species out there capable of interstellar travel have long ago left predation and stealing resources behind. To stoneage for me. I mean what do we have on Earth that isnt everywhere in the galaxy?

Meat, wood, sugar?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

It's bull-crap.  A civilization that can bridge the gap between solar systems is of NO DANGER AT ALL for us, because anything they can want,t hey can harvest from space.
I wish people would be so fearful.

• Like 4

It doesn't really matter if we try to contact ET's or not, IMO. If they have tech like ours or more advanced than ours and if we are within their range, they've already detected us.

• Like 1

A species smart enough to travel between the stars probably also has very advanced techniques to detect life, perhaps even advanced life, around other stars, so I think that chances are that they already know about us without us having to send broadcasts to them.

• Like 2

Why would a guy working at SETI agree contact is bad? Isn't that their mission/objective? I bet he's there to run interference in case they do come across something. That or the whole program is around to create interference for the MIC/elites; whose biggest fear is a non-dependent humanity with little need for government.

IMO we shouldn't be trying to make contact for a simple reason, we don't know the statistics regarding planets that can sustain intelligent and technological societies, it may very well be that Earth is indeed rare, not because it has life and intelligent life, but because its atmosphere  allows for technology like fire and liquid water. Remember that without fire we would probably be little more than small tribal groups with weapons and tools that do not require fire.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

With respect, to draw any conclusions with respect to advanced intelligent alien species is shear foolishness. To attempt to speculate on such species' motivations based on our extremely limited knowledge, history and experience, in the context of the known universe, is futile. Hence, the unregulated attempts of a few to contact intelligent aliens is of the highest order of risk to humans. Indeed, such attempts could very well be considered an invasion of certain aliens' privacy and an aggressive act against them. Unfortunately, there is little that individuals can do to quell the attempts at contact and we can at best hope that the exceedingly limited abilities of the searchers will lead to contact failure for generations to come. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I think it's entirely reckless to even think that humans on earth compose the entirety of intelligent life within our vast universe of trillions of robust galaxies.

Talk about narcissistism; or however it's labeled.

Edited by pallidin
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, pallidin said:

I think it's entirely reckless to even think that humans on earth compose the entirety of intelligent life within our vast universe of trillions of robust galaxies.

Talk about narcissistism.

Yeah I mean just look at you.

• Haha 4

51 minutes ago, NinoWhite301 said:

Why would a guy working at SETI agree contact is bad? Isn't that their mission/objective? I bet he's there to run interference in case they do come across something. That or the whole program is around to create interference for the MIC/elites; whose biggest fear is a non-dependent humanity with little need for government.

Your biggest fear must be reading comprehension.  You might want you find out what SETI means.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Hazzard said:

Im thinking that presumably, any species out there capable of interstellar travel have long ago left predation and stealing resources behind. To stoneage for me. I mean what do we have on Earth that isnt everywhere in the galaxy?

Meat, wood, sugar?

1 hour ago, Orphalesion said:

It's bull-crap.  A civilization that can bridge the gap between solar systems is of NO DANGER AT ALL for us, because anything they can want,t hey can harvest from space.
I wish people would be so fearful.

The reason we should avoid contacting and attracting attention from advanced civilizations is primarily because of the damage that would occur to our own culture from that contact. like the affect of contact from modern civilization with remote tribes in the Amazon.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, OverSword said:

The reason we should avoid contacting and attracting attention from advanced civilizations is primarily because of the damage that would occur to our own culture from that contact. like the affect of contact from modern civilization with remote tribes in the Amazon.

I do not believe there'd be any "damage", we would profit from new ideas, philosophies and, if they are willing, knowledge, technlogies and medicines. 

And how awesome would it be to have alien culture to discover and enjoy? 

Edited by Orphalesion
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Orphalesion said:

I do not believe there'd be any "damage", we would profit from new ideas, philosophies and, if they are willing, knowledge, technlogies and medicines. 

And how awesome would it be to have alien culture to discover and enjoy? 

Can you tell me why that isn't what happened to the tribes in the Amazon?  I think what you are talking about would make us for generations into a kind of dependent or even servant species in which we would have access to things beyond our understanding and with zero infrastructure to duplicate them for ourselves.  For example we can give the Yanomami aspirin and it will get rid of their headache but how could they make their own or what besides art or primitive tools for academics to study could they trade for it that we would really want?  Giving the tribes people of the Amazon a spacecraft would barely be different than giving us one from the point of view of the aliens.  I bet contacting them is likely useless as a more advanced species would probably have a Trek like prime directive so they don't destroy us with the sure knowledge that they exist until we are capable of going out and meeting them.  The alternative is that Earth is a really, really nice planet and they may want to move here and kill most of us except for some slave labor.

Edited by OverSword
  • Sad 1

30 minutes ago, OverSword said:

Can you tell me why that isn't what happened to the tribes in the Amazon?  I think what you are talking about would make us for generations into a kind of dependent or even servant species in which we would have access to things beyond our understanding and with zero infrastructure to duplicate them for ourselves.  For example we can give the Yanomami aspirin and it will get rid of their headache but how could they make their own or what besides art or primitive tools for academics to study could they trade for it that we would really want?  Giving the tribes people of the Amazon a spacecraft would barely be different than giving us one from the point of view of the aliens.  I bet contacting them is likely useless as a more advanced species would probably have a Trek like prime directive so they don't destroy us with the sure knowledge that they exist until we are capable of going out and meeting them.  The alternative is that Earth is a really, really nice planet and they may want to move here and kill most of us except for some slave labor.

Personally I'm just not afraid of a more powerful species (if there is one close by, if would be possible to contact them, and if they had the technology to even reach us, all of which are pretty unlikely) being in contact with us. Even being a dependant species for a while wouldn't necessarily be bad, I know it's fiction, but on Star Trek Humanity was for a while dependant on the Vulcans.

The main difference between any event on earth and any theoretical inter-stellar even is that, unless our galaxy is tightly seeded with inter-stellar empires, which is all kinds of improbable, is that on an inter-stellar level competition for resources is meaningless.

And if they have a prime directive, well then just saying hello would be completely harmless.

Also I will NEVER agree that staying wilfully ignorant or hiding of/from something could be in any way beneficial. IF there's others out there, we need to talk to them and see what they have to say.

Edited by Orphalesion
  • Like 3

17 minutes ago, Orphalesion said:

And if they have a prime directive, well then just saying hello would be completely harmless.

If they have a prime directive I'm thinking line one would be:

• No initiating contact before they are out of their own solar system.

And we are several hundred years from that I'm thinking.

Edited by OverSword
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, naughtynick said:

With respect, to draw any conclusions with respect to advanced intelligent alien species is sheer foolishness. To attempt to speculate on such species' motivations based on our extremely limited knowledge, history and experience, in the context of the known universe, is futile. Hence, the unregulated attempts of a few to contact intelligent aliens is of the highest order of risk to humans. Indeed, such attempts could very well be considered an invasion of certain aliens' privacy and an aggressive act against them. Unfortunately, there is little that individuals can do to quell the attempts at contact and we can at best hope that the exceedingly limited abilities of the searchers will lead to contact failure for generations to come. 

^ ^ in bold You have hit the nail squarely on the head there! I am astounded at the naivety of some posters here. Once we have made contact it's too late if we discover they are far from friendly!!!!!! Jeez :hmm:

Nothing can/will suppress human curiosity.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, OverSword said:

I don't think that would be a real issue. Sure it might be a bit chaotic at first, but it would settle down as acceptance increased.

However I think the real issue is biological. Their common cold might end us or ours might end them. 

• Like 1

reckless? i though it was naive because it will take longer than the time necessary to get ourselves extinct by war.

10 hours ago, ouija ouija said:

Some one already sent a message out decades ago.  The genie has been out of the bottle for a long time.

• Like 1

The real puzzle for me is how they think we're going to contact anyone with radio waves.  This is where the recent UFO/UAP thing baffles me.  If that is UFOs flying around (we don't really have any proof at all that it is) then why the hell would SETI or NASA still be pushing ahead with outdated means of communication or propulsion (in NASAs case)? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

2 minutes ago, mesuma said:

The real puzzle for me is how they think we're going to contact anyone with radio waves.  This is where the recent UFO/UAP thing baffles me.  If that is UFOs flying around (we don't really have any proof at all that it is) then why the hell would SETI or NASA still be pushing ahead with outdated means of communication or propulsion (in NASAs case)? 

Why are radio waves outdated?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1