Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Supermarket cashier shot dead after ‘telling customer to wear a mask’

Still Waters

A cashier at the food store in Georgia was gunned down simply for asking a customer to put on his face covering correctly, according to local reports.

The horror occurred on Monday afternoon following an argument between the Big Bear supermarket worker and the suspect after she asked him to “please pull up his mask,” authorities said.

“There was some confrontation, argument [...] in reference to the wearing of masks, at which time the subject pulled out a weapon and shot the cashier,” DeKalb County Sheriff Melody Maddox said in a statement.

The customer, who has been named as Victor Lee Tucker, Jr., 30, then left the shop without making his purchase.

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/world/supermarket-cashier-shot-dead-after-telling-customer-to-wear-a-mask/ar-AAL415a

Georgia authorities have identified a grocery store cashier killed during a face mask dispute and the man accused of shooting her.

DeKalb County police said Laquitta Willis, 41, was the victim in Monday's shooting at Big Bear grocery store in Decatur, just outside of Atlanta.

https://edition.cnn.com/2021/06/14/us/georgia-deputy-shooting-decatur/index.html

• Confused 2
  • Sad 6

Seems like he was looking for a confrontation to "justify" shooting someone. 

• Like 2

People need to use common sense in situations like this. You don't want to wear a mask, you won't hear me complain, case in point. However, if you die from Covid, from refusing to wear a mask, Oh well.

• Like 5

thanks god there was an armed man in the store who shot the guy, or who knows what he'd do after he killed one person and had noting to lose.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

The whole "You can't tell me what to do"  has over-ruled the reason we have laws and rules.  It's getting ridiculous 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, glorybebe said:

The whole "You can't tell me what to do"  has over-ruled the reason we have laws and rules.  It's getting ridiculous 

Well, he can worry about the laws against shooting people now, murder and it seems like it was pre-meditated.  He seemed to walk out to get his gun.   It is Georgia, he had his gun in the car for some reason.   

Edited by Desertrat56

2 minutes ago, ted hughes said:

Thank god they both had guns, otherwise it might have been a fist fight.

Lol, no, it would not

• Confused 1

23 hours ago, glorybebe said:

Part of the reason so many are rebelling against the laws is that they can see only one group being held to the legal standard in many situations.  Even kindergartners recognize basic unfairness.  We've been watching our representatives in DC walk away from obvious criminal acts IF they belong to the correct party.

Here's another example of the kind of out of control people we're seeing in public:

In the aftermath of her rampage it's like she woke up and realized how stupid she'd behaved and I actually felt sorry for her.  Thankfully, she didn't kill anyone.  Behaviors like this are becoming more common all the time and we aren't just seeing the same old, same old.  People did not act this way a decade ago.  This is different.  It's almost like a psychosis.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, and then said:

Part of the reason so many are rebelling against the laws is that they can see only one group being held to the legal standard in many situations.  Even kindergartners recognize basic unfairness.  We've been watching our representatives in DC walk away from obvious criminal acts IF they belong to the correct party.

Here's another example of the kind of out of control people we're seeing in public:

In the aftermath of her rampage it's like she woke up and realized how stupid she'd behaved and I actually felt sorry for her.  Thankfully, she didn't kill anyone.  Behaviors like this are becoming more common all the time and we aren't just seeing the same old, same old.  People did not act this way a decade ago.  This is different.  It's almost like a psychosis.

well they had few decades to turn kids into psychotics morons, just look at majority of people committing these crimes, a result of recent us public schools indoctrination.  just  "do not let no one tell you no"  is what makes these idiots think they a entitled, and obligated to fight anything and anyone who tells them no for any reason, it is totally the fault of us public school teachings, liberal teachings

Edited by aztek
  • Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

33 minutes ago, and then said:

Maybe it is something in the water.  I would be interested to know what areas have more people experiencing this kind of behaviour and what kind of things are in their water (either pollution or purposeful additions).   Also, there may be some other things going on, like addictions to social media and computer games, drug addicts act like this when they don't get what they want; maybe it is related to too much screen time, something even adults need to pay attention to.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 6/15/2021 at 4:38 PM, aztek said:

thanks god there was an armed man in the store who shot the guy, or who knows what he'd do after he killed one person and had noting to lose.

So here is what I read in your post, gun control in your country is so ridiculously out of control that all you guys can hope for is that in a case like this there is some good samaritan that can stop the lunatic with the gun that is not supposed to have a gun to begin with :yes: That's a good way to justify the right to bear arms lol I bet the NRA loves people like you.

• Thanks 2

6 minutes ago, thedutchiedutch said:

So here is what I read in your post, gun control in your country is so ridiculously out of control that all you guys can hope for is that in a case like this there is some good samaritan that can stop the lunatic with the gun that is not supposed to have a gun to begin with :yes: That's a good way to justify the right to bear arms lol I bet the NRA loves people like you.

If you are in the UK, there are people who have guns that are not supposed to.   Gun control may work mostly in the UK because it is the size of Texas and has only one governing body, but in the U.S. it doesn't work like that.  

• Confused 4

1 hour ago, thedutchiedutch said:

you read it right.  police absolutely can not stop people from shooting other People, that is a fact,  and yes we have many sickos, as well as criminals,  who should not have guns, but have it anyway, cuz guess what, they do not give two shts about laws .  we also have prbly close to a billion guns in usa,  our justice system is a joke,  even more so now, with all that defunding, and it has revolving doors. 

so tell me your solution for your personal safety  in an environment like that,

19 hours ago, Desertrat56 said:

If you are in the UK, there are people who have guns that are not supposed to.   Gun control may work mostly in the UK because it is the size of Texas and has only one governing body, but in the U.S. it doesn't work like that.  

Size doesnt matter, if it did China would trash the US, or the EU combined would have similar US levels.

The fact is that US gun laws are just plain dumb.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, godnodog said:

Size doesnt matter, if it did China would trash the US, or the EU combined would have similar US levels.

That is because people are trying to change them all the time.  The original gun laws were simple.   Now we have machine guns and other military type weapons that individuals have no rational reason to want much less actually own.   I am not a pacifist but I think the police should not have those types of weapons either, but if they are allowed the general population should be allowed as well.  As for murders, you can kill someone with a plethora of useful tools that could never  be made illegal, like hammers and screw drivers and steak knives to name a few.   So how about making the murderers responsible and forget about what weapon they used.  That makes more sense to me.  The gun law changes in the U.S. have made no difference in the murders by fire arms, what has made a big difference is the level of insanity, mental illness, drug addiction etc.   Take care of the mental health problems and the murders of all types are going to go down. Since you live in the Portugal you have no clue what the real problem in the U.S. is.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 6/15/2021 at 9:33 PM, South Alabam said:

People need to use common sense in situations like this. You don't want to wear a mask, you won't hear me complain, case in point. However, if you die from Covid, from refusing to wear a mask, Oh well.

And if they kill someone else by not wearing a mask?

The mask isn't there to protect the wearer, it's there to protect everyone else.

330f672043d6f2f83c8ecdf20141bf6e.jpg

Edited by Setton
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, godnodog said:

yes, pretty much,  laws that do not do a thing are dumb, and making more of useless laws is even dumber, but even worse is not enforcing the laws we already have, but asking for more laws that will not be enforced either. 

size does matter, but not as much as amount of guns, china never allowed citizens to own guns,  they were never available to public, same for majority of Europe, if not all of it, in usa guns were as unregulated as shoes until 1960s. with small exceptions,  there are about 400mil guns we can account for, we have no idea how many were there before registrations began, so between 1700s and 1960s,  i'd say we have well over a billion of guns in usa,

but since you brought china up, there is an interesting aspect, china has 1,5b population, most of them are poor, they have more people living in poor conditions, than usa has people, yet their crime rate is very low despite poverty, but here we are being told that crime is there due to poverty,   Chinese police kills a handful people a year, in a country with 5x larger population,  in usa about 1000 killed by cops yearly.  our state of Vermont has the least restrictive gun laws, no permit needed to buy or carry, yet crime rate there is the lowest in usa,   the way i see it, crime has nothing to do with poverty, guns, or laws, it has everything to do with people

Edited by aztek
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, aztek said:

they where never available to public, same for majority of Europe, if not all of it

Utter. b******s.

There have been no restrictions on people on Europe owning weapons for almost all of history. In the UK, we only banned people owning handguns after the Dunblane shooting in 1996.

Then, people turned theirs in because, believe it or not, the rest of the world isn't inhabited by the same self obsessed cowards who apparently make up a large proportion of the US population.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

15 minutes ago, Setton said:

Utter. b******s.

There have been no restrictions on people on Europe owning weapons for almost all of history. In the UK, we only banned people owning handguns after the Dunblane shooting in 1996.

Then, people turned theirs in because, believe it or not, the rest of the world isn't inhabited by the same self obsessed cowards who apparently make up a large proportion of the US population.

Your British government is the reason we have an amendment in our constitution giving us the right to own and bear arms.  You can call names if you want but you are wrong about the U.S.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Desertrat56 said:

Your British government is the reason we have an amendment in our constitution giving us the right to own and bear arms.  You can call names if you want but you are wrong about the U.S.

And yet the school shootings continue.

Do you think this has been a cunning ploy and we're secretly keeping George III on ice until you join the 20th century then we'll retake the US?

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Setton said:

And yet the school shootings continue.

Do you think this has been a cunning ploy and we're secretly keeping George III on ice until you join the 20th century then we'll retake the US?

It has nothing to do with guns, it has to do with mental health.   You all in the UK can turn in your guns if you want but that gives you no right to judge or misunderstand an issue in another country.  Gun control is not the answer, people who want to shoot a bunch of strangers or teeanagers who are so mess up mentally they want to shoot everyone in school will find a way to get guns regardless of the laws.   Several of the people who have done mass shootings over the years are felons who were legally not allowed to own a gun but they had one or a few.  Teeanagers under the age of 18 are not allowed to buy guns but those kids across the country that have opened fire on their fellow students and the teachers at their schools had guns and only one that I know of was over 17.   

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Since when do gun laws stop criminals from owning guns? I hear this stupid argument brought up again and again - criminals don't follow the law.

May as well claim drug laws keep people off drugs.

The only way to start to get rid of guns is to stop making them altogether. Not gonna happen.

Edited by moonman
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, moonman said:

Since when do gun laws stop criminals from owning guns?

It’s about the number of guns in general circulation.  Most guns used in criminal acts are legitimately owned but at some point have been lost or stolen.

look at it logically if there are 1000 guns owned in the states and 1% per year get stolen then there are 10 guns in criminal hands.  The reality is that over 300 million firearms are owned by civilians in the states.  That 1% could be 0.5%, that’s still 15 million lost firearms potentially in the hands of criminals.

In the U.K. between 150,000 and 200,000 people legitimately own guns.  If 1% of those are lost/stolen that’s 2000 guns in the hands of criminals.  Shotgun ownership is higher, at around 600,000 however.

Generally we see in U.K. crimes committed with a firearm will generally be able to be traced ballistically to other crimes, meaning in a general area there will be a very small amount of guns in circulation that are reused over again.  Further to this the vast majority of firearms are formerly deactivated weapons that have been through a workshop.  Gun crime is always going to be an issue, but compared to the US it is a drop in the ocean.

Yes the core of the problem is mental health, but the sheer availability of firearms both legit and otherwise is staggering.  It’s simply too easy for someone with mental health issues to get a firearm.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Desertrat56 said:

It has nothing to do with guns, it has to do with mental health.   You all in the UK can turn in your guns if you want but that gives you no right to judge or misunderstand an issue in another country.  Gun control is not the answer, people who want to shoot a bunch of strangers or teeanagers who are so mess up mentally they want to shoot everyone in school will find a way to get guns regardless of the laws

And yet when you look at the rest of the planet, you can see this is simply not true.

Or do you think Americans are inherently more unstable than the rest of the world?

Could be a point but probably not the one you're aiming for...

33 minutes ago, Desertrat56 said:

Several of the people who have done mass shootings over the years are felons who were legally not allowed to own a gun but they had one or a few.  Teeanagers under the age of 18 are not allowed to buy guns but those kids across the country that have opened fire on their fellow students and the teachers at their schools had guns and only one that I know of was over 17

Yet more evidence why guns should be controlled across the whole of society, not just a small subset.

You realise that this just proves your gun control is inadequate right?

• Like 1