Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Supermarket cashier shot dead after ‘telling customer to wear a mask’

Still Waters

32 minutes ago, moonman said:

Since when do gun laws stop criminals from owning guns? I hear this stupid argument brought up again and again - criminals don't follow the law.

May as well claim drug laws keep people off drugs.

The only way to start to get rid of guns is to stop making them altogether. Not gonna happen.

So why don't other countries have the number of shootings you do?

Criminals can and do get guns here, obviously. Yet the numbers are nothing like what you have and I can only think of two mass shootings here in my lifetime. One was what made us ban handguns and the other was one guy with a shotgun who only injured two people and killed one.

So if it's not our gun control laws, what's the difference?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Setton said:

And yet when you look at the rest of the planet, you can see this is simply not true.

Or do you think Americans are inherently more unstable than the rest of the world?

Could be a point but probably not the one you're aiming for...

Yet more evidence why guns should be controlled across the whole of society, not just a small subset.

You realise that this just proves your gun control is inadequate right?

That is what you don't understand.  YES U.S. Americans have very little access to mental health care, even worse than medical care, which is what other 1st world countries don't ignore or mistreat.   So in that way there are a lot of unstable people, but it is not inherent.   Considering the population and the FACT that you have had shooters go crazy in your country as well as trains bombed etc. you cannot offer any solutions to a problem you don't know anything about and pretend like it never happens in your country.   Your smugness is annoying, as I suspect you find my anger at your ignorance is.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Setton said:

Criminals can and do get guns here, obviously. Yet the numbers are nothing like what you have and I can only think of two mass shootings here in my lifetime. One was what made us ban handguns and the other was one guy with a shotgun who only injured two people and killed one.

I don't know what drives the nutters, all I can tell you is if a criminal wants to own a gun, no law is going to stop them, it doesn't matter where they live.

All the guns have to do is exist.

Edited by moonman
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Setton said:

It's not true that other countries don't have the number of shootings the U.S. does.   What other country has the size and population of the U.S.?   You Judgy Brits are still trying to take our guns away.  Thank goodness you don't have any say in the matter, just judgement about something you don't understand.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

2 minutes ago, Desertrat56 said:

That is what you don't understand.  YES U.S. Americans have very little access to mental health care, even worse than medical care, which is what other 1st world countries don't ignore or mistreat.   So in that way there are a lot of unstable people, but it is not inherent.   Considering the population and the FACT that you have had shooters go crazy in your country as well as trains bombed etc. you cannot offer any solutions to a problem you don't know anything about and pretend like it never happens in your country.   Your smugness is annoying, as I suspect you find my anger at your ignorance is.

No, what I find annoying is the American refusal to learn from any other country.

You're so obsessed with being 'exceptional' that you never even consider someone else could have the solution to your problem.

And if you think it's smugness, you're mistaken. It's frustration and anger at watching you, for years, watch kids get gunned down and completely refusing to address the issue because they're apparently a small price for your 'freedom'.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

How many bombings have you all had in the last 4 decades?   Why are you not worried about that?

6 minutes ago, Setton said:

MENTAL HEALTH CARE!!!!

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, moonman said:

I don't know what drives the nutters, all I can tell you is if a criminal wants to own a gun, no law is going to stop them, it doesn't matter where they live.

All the guns have to do is exist.

And yet other countries prove this wrong literally every day.

12 minutes ago, Grey Area said:

.  It’s simply too easy for someone with mental health issues to get a firearm.

or knives, or swords, or cars, or chainsaws, baseball bets, or acid, or potassium nitride,.....    we should pay more attention to sickos walking the streets and willing to use any weapons, to commit crimes,  than availability of those weapons, it is the criminal intent, that commits a crime, not guns, or knives, or acid. i own guns for almost 30 years, not one round lost, let alone gun, not one person shot,

Edited by aztek

7 minutes ago, Setton said:

Prove what exactly? That the US has more crazy ass holes? Possibly.

You do understand the definition of what a criminal is, right? You understand their whole thing is to DEFY the laws, right?

Edited by moonman
  • Like 1

No, what I find annoying is the American refusal to learn from any other country.

You're so obsessed with being 'exceptional' that you never even consider someone else could have the solution to your problem.

And if you think it's smugness, you're mistaken. It's frustration and anger at watching you, for years, watch kids get gunned down and completely refusing to address the issue because they're apparently a small price for your 'freedom'.

Then quit the media and don't bother yourself.  Your frustation is under your control and has nothing to do with us as you are choosing to want to change something you can't change.   My frustation is under my control and now that I have "yellled" at you I am over it.  You have no idea how frustrating it is for those of us here who have to listen to talking heads argue about gun control and no one ever mentions the real problem.   You are not as free as you think, nor are we, freedom is an illusion.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Setton said:

Quit pretending like there is a valid comparison.  Jeez, are you judging India because of their problems with a virus?   You don't know the living conditions there, you don't know the living conditions here.   

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Desertrat56 said:

It's not true that other countries don't have the number of shootings the U.S. does.   What other country has the size and population of the U.S.?   You Judgy Brits are still trying to take our guns away.  Thank goodness you don't have any say in the matter, just judgement about something you don't understand.

The UK has had 2 mass shootings since the Firearms Act was amended.

If you scale for population, the US should have had 10 in the same period, give or take.

You've had 11 already this year.

every morning i wake up and snap my fingers 10 times, i do it to scare crocks away, and it works, i've never seen a crock around my home, sounds crazy, but it is no different than claiming gun laws work in Europe

5 minutes ago, Desertrat56 said:

MENTAL HEALTH CARE!!!!

The UK certainly hasn't had decent mental healthcare until relatively recently. And yet we didn't have mass killings regularly before that.

So mental healthcare might help, but it isn't a proven solution.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Desertrat56 said:

How many bombings have you all had in the last 4 decades?   Why are you not worried about that?

Because the answer is only 3?

You've had 35. Scaling for population, you should have had 15.

And because each time we do have one, we take action to reduce the chance of it happening again.

Meanwhile you just watch child after child being murdered and sit by twiddling your thumbs.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Desertrat56 said:

Quit pretending like there is a valid comparison.  Jeez, are you judging India because of their problems with a virus?   You don't know the living conditions there, you don't know the living conditions here.   

India is actually trying to do something about it though.

That's the difference. And that's the root of the anger.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, moonman said:

Prove what exactly? That the US has more crazy *******s? Possibly.

You do understand the definition of what a criminal is, right? You understand their whole thing is to DEFY the laws, right?

So why don't we have mass shootings here on the same scale?

If it's not access to guns, what is it in your opinion?

Destertrat has proposed mental healthcare and I've shown that is not the case. So what is it?

Edited by Setton
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Setton said:

The UK certainly hasn't had decent mental healthcare until relatively recently. And yet we didn't have mass killings regularly before that.

So mental healthcare might help, but it isn't a proven solution.

It doesn't matter what you think.  You don't have enough information to make any suggestions.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, moonman said:

Prove what exactly? That the US has more crazy ass holes? Possibly.

that is the arrogant attitude that made us dump their tea in the harbor, and kick the crown out

2 minutes ago, Setton said:

India is actually trying to do something about it though.

That's the difference. And that's the root of the anger.

Your impotent anger is your problem.   It has nothing to do with reality and there are people trying to do something, like I said over and over you aren't here, you don't know, so your defence of gun control is either justification for yourself or another Brit trying to take our guns away.   The control issues you have are irrelevant to the issue.

Edited by Desertrat56
  • Confused 1

Just now, Desertrat56 said:

It doesn't matter what you think.  You don't have enough information to make any suggestions.

There it is again. "Not American, couldn't possibly learn anything here".

It's a particularly pathetic culture that would rather sacrifice their children than admit they can learn something.

• Thanks 1

So why don't we have mass shootings here on the same scale?

If it's not access to guns, what is it in your opinion?

Destertrat has proposed mental healthcare and I've shown that is not the case. So what is it?

I don't know what it is, all I know is slapping a gun law band-aid on it isn't going to magically make criminals turn in their guns, and make other criminals stop providing more guns. Only an idiot would think that is the final and best solution.

Edited by moonman
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, aztek said:

that is the arrogant attitude that made us dump their tea in the harbor, and kick the crown out

Yeah, you're spot on. I'm secretly 200+ years old. It's all a ploy to exert control over the US and not at all to do with the kids you happily watch being shot.

• Thanks 1

There it is again. "Not American, couldn't possibly learn anything here".

It's a particularly pathetic culture that would rather sacrifice their children than admit they can learn something.

How many "Americans" are telling you all how to run your lives or change your laws?   Get over yourself.

• Like 1