Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Waspie_Dwarf

Metals from space descend on Boulder, Colorado, at dusk and dawn

Waspie_Dwarf

Sodium and other metals from space make regular—and irregular—landfall on Earth.

Every day, the Sun rises and sets on Boulder, Colorado. And, like clockwork, a layer of sodium and other elements trickle down through the sky and hit the ground, a team of researchers at the University of Colorado-Boulder found. These elements hail originally from space and, in various forms, hit the atmosphere before making their trek to the Earth's surface.

The team published this discovery in Geophysical Research Letters. A decade ago, Xinzhao Chu, the lead author of the research, discovered these metal layers at the McMurdo research station in Antarctica. However, near the Earth's polar south, these elements appear sporadically, rather than daily. This is the first time researchers have discovered a case where the layers drop at regular intervals.

arrow3.gif  Read More: Ars Technica

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Manwon Lender
34 minutes ago, Waspie_Dwarf said:

Sodium and other metals from space make regular—and irregular—landfall on Earth.

That's an interesting article, one think I noticed they didn't mention was are there any human health risks to breathing in these materials. I realize they not highly concentrated in most places, however in places like Boulder where the concentration level is higher I wonder if there is any effect.

• Like 1

Waspie_Dwarf
1 hour ago, Manwon Lender said:

That's an interesting article, one think I noticed they didn't mention was are there any human health risks to breathing in these materials. I realize they not highly concentrated in most places, however in places like Boulder where the concentration level is higher I wonder if there is any effect.

The amount is miniscule. If I understand it correctly the article says these metals constitute about 1% of the 5,200 tons of dust that hits the Earth each year, so globally that is in the region of 52 tons. To put that into perspective the mass of the Earth is around 5,900,000,000,000,000,000,000 tonnes.

• Like 2

Manwon Lender
1 hour ago, Waspie_Dwarf said:

The amount is miniscule. If I understand it correctly the article says these metals constitute about 1% of the 5,200 tons of dust that hits the Earth each year, so globally that is in the region of 52 tons. To put that into perspective the mass of the Earth is around 5,900,000,000,000,000,000,000 tonnes.

Thanks, that puts it into much better perspective!