Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The evolutionary place and function of spiritual and religious belief

Mr Walker

ego
[ˈēɡō]

NOUN
ego (noun) · egos (plural noun)
  1. a person's sense of self-esteem or self-importance.
    "a boost to my ego"
    • psychoanalysis
      the part of the mind that mediates between the conscious and the unconscious and is responsible for reality testing and a sense of personal identity.Compare with id and superego.
      synonyms:
      subconscious mind · subconscious · unconscious mind · psyche · superego · id · inner self · innermost self · self · inner man/woman
      antonyms:
      conscious mind
    • philosophy
      (in metaphysics) a conscious thinking subject.

ORIGIN
early 19th century: from Latin, literally ‘I’.

superego
[ˌso͞opərˈēɡō]

NOUN
psychoanalysis
superego (noun) · superegos (plural noun) · super-ego (noun) · super-egos (plural noun)
  1. the part of a person's mind that acts as a self-critical conscience, reflecting social standards learned from parents and teachers.Compare with ego and id.
    "the father is the model for the superego" · "true schizophrenias lack the superego elements present in paranoia"
    synonyms:
    unconscious mind · mind · imagination · inner self · innermost self · self · inner man/woman · psyche · ego · id · true being · essential nature

d
    [id]

NOUN
    psychoanalysis
    id (noun) · ids (plural noun)
    1. the part of the mind in which innate instinctive impulses and primary processes are manifest.Compare with ego and superego.
      "the conflict between the drives of the id and the demands of the cultural superego"
      synonyms:
      unconscious mind · mind · imagination · inner self · innermost self · self · inner man/woman · psyche · ego · superego · true being · essential nature
      antonyms:
      conscious mind

ORIGIN
    1920s: from Latin, literally ‘that’, translating German es. The term was first used in this sense by Freud, following use in a similar sense by his contemporary, Georg Groddeck.
Edited by Hammerclaw
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Dejarma said:

well at least you know sarcastic wit when you see it- progress of a sort I guess...

Not sure what part of the world you're from but the rest of the world may hopefully catch up to the UK one day:D

Catch up in what way?

5 hours ago, Abramelin said:

I am not sure, but I think 'ego' is what you believe yourself to be, fed and mirrored by what others think of you. To me 'ego' is nothing but the social mask we carry.

Without that mask all that is left is 'you'.

I'd like to add to that.

We were trained to think, behave and feel in a certain way, a way acceptable, 'normal', to those around us.

From the moment we were born, we were being socialized, trained. Programmed if you like.

So, we do our best to adapt to those unwritten laws of how to be, and we unconsciously check, by the reactions of those around us, if we fit in.

Our 'ego' is nothing but the result of this socializing/training/programming in the form of what in physics is called a 'standing wave'.

• Like 4

9 hours ago, Desertrat56 said:

Catch up in what way?

To half-witticisms, I would suppose.:yes:

• Haha 1

On 6/21/2021 at 11:26 AM, Manwon Lender said:

I think that the human brain is hardwired, but not for any God or Holyspirit. I believe that Spirituality is created by the world around us, and inspires us to look for the meaning of life. But, long before the holyspirit ever existed our ancestors worshiped nature because it had the greatest effect on their lives.

Since that time there have been numerous Gods, and deities who have all come and gone. To me Spirituality is found within each of us and no outside force controls us or the world and Universe around us. Once mankind stops relying upon outside invention to solve its problems many of worst parts of humanity like war, can come to an end.

From there humanity may have chance to become something more, however as long as any religion manifests man's destiny there will never be peace on earth. 

JIMO

The world is created by Spirit, the world doesn't create Spirit, I think you have THAT the wrong way around..

Although I agree that spirituality is found within, THAT Pure Conciuoiusaness one calls GOD, although it has many names there is only one life, one consciousness.

GOD is The Absolute, The Supreame Reality, then came Spirit, that movement of the will of GOD, then came the material world.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

21 hours ago, Abramelin said:

I'd like to add to that.

We were trained to think, behave and feel in a certain way, a way acceptable, 'normal', to those around us.

From the moment we were born, we were being socialized, trained. Programmed if you like.

So, we do our best to adapt to those unwritten laws of how to be, and we unconsciously check, by the reactions of those around us, if we fit in.

Our 'ego' is nothing but the result of this socializing/training/programming in the form of what in physics is called a 'standing wave'.

I would add, that you are correct ones ego is the frame by which one adapts, copes and how well one functions, navigates, problem solves with their environment inclusive of all the interactions within them., but ego isn’t limited to socialization.

‘The scope of ego functions can be described as including: 

consciousness; 

sense perception;

the perception and expression of affect;

thought;

the control of motor action;

memory;

language; 

defense mechanisms;

the control, regulation, and binding of instinctual energy;

an integrative and harmonizing function; and 

the capacity to inhibit or suspend the operation of any of the functions mentioned and to regress to a primitive level of functioning (e.g., regression in the service of the ego) (Hartmann, 1939/1986).’

“Hartmann advanced the theme of the ego as an organizer of the mind, of experience, and of behavior (Blanck & Blanck, 1974). This organizing function proposes an understanding of a normal developmental process, against which pathology can be seen in terms of developmental failures. By articulating the essential functions of the ego, one can examine how well they have been facilitated by life’s events.” In other words, ego is the organizer between self and actuality and it evolves over time depending on maturity.

Edited by Sherapy
  • Like 2

Sherapy, your and Hammerclaw's definitions of the ego are the standard and of course googled definitions.

I fabricated my own 'definition'. And if you think about it for a while, you'll see that what you posted follows from my 'definition'.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Crazy Horse said:

The world is created by Spirit, the world doesn't create Spirit, I think you have THAT the wrong way around..

Although I agree that spirituality is found within, THAT Pure Conciuoiusaness one calls GOD, although it has many names there is only one life, one consciousness.

GOD is The Absolute, The Supreame Reality, then came Spirit, that movement of the will of GOD, then came the material world.

Your post is about belief, Crazy Horse.

A nice one, but still a belief.

Something else: your username sounds Native American, but not your view on spirituality, as expressed by your post I quoted: it rings 'Christian'.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Abramelin said:

Sherapy, your and Hammerclaw's definitions of the ego are the standard and of course googled definitions.

I fabricated my own 'definition'. And if you think about it for a while, you'll see that what you posted follows from my 'definition'.

Definitely you are correct,  hammer and I are simply adding that ego encompasses more than socialization. Your thoughts on this would be valuable. 

It is an interesting subject.

Edited by Sherapy
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Sherapy said:

Definitely you are correct,  hammer and I are simply adding that ego encompasses more than socialization. Your thoughts on this would be valuable. 

Socializing is about being taught how to control yourself to fit in.

From that follows everything you posted about the ego.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Sherapy said:

The point is that everyone has ego. As soon as you say "I am" you're expressing ego. Without ego, a human being would be, basically, a braindead turnip.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Hammerclaw said:

The point is that everyone has ego. As soon as you say "I am" you're expressing ego. Without ego, a human being would be, basically, a braindead turnip.

I don't think so.

But I still carry that mask around, so who am I to say?

6 minutes ago, Abramelin said:

I don't think so.

Hammer is correct ego identification is earmarked by I am…

Masking is how one conforms to social expectations etc. in a sense it is a cover for ones natural self.

‘For example: a person has early stages dementia and pretends not too, meaning acts in a way to mask or cover up the disease for many reasons. 

Edited by Sherapy

Ego is self. We are who we perceive ourselves to be. Though reality might not agree. When a person wishes to destroy the ego, they are basically wanting to commit the suicide of consciousness. The issue is that no matter what (except actual death) you can not destroy the ego (self). 

What actually matters is the type of self you construct. The person you wish to be. Those who wish to be humble, practice humility. Those that wish to be kind, practice kindness. Etc. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Abramelin said:

I don't think so.

The next will get me into dire straits, but I think a guy called U.G. Krishmamurti (no, most certainly not Jiddu Krishnamurti) achieved losing his socalled ego.

Google him and find out for yourself.

And no, I am not his 'follower'  because I don't really follow anyone. He would probably slap you in the face if you told him you were his follower.

He was an agreeable little guy I once met during one of my very rare visits to Amsterdam.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Abramelin said:

The next will get me into dire straits, but I think a guy called U.G. Krishmamurti (no, most certainly not Jiddu Krishnamurti) achieved losing his socalled ego.

And no, I am not his 'follower'  because I don't really follow anyone. He would probably slap you in the face if you told him you were his follower.

He was an agreeable little guy I once met during one of my very rare visits to Amsterdam.

Indeed, not unlike living mindfully, or “self actualization” according to Maslow in a sense is moving beyond the I and me of ego identification. It doesn’t’t mean one ever gets rid of their ego one just has gotten to a place there is an acceptance of ones humanness, situation etc. and understands the striving and surviving of youth transforms into something more altruistic or not. Based on experience, it is an acceptance accompanied by a broader perspective. It is a time one can focus on giving back in some way if that serves them or not. 

One isn’t invested so heavily into their ego, things are not taken so personal, feedback is appreciated, problem solving becomes creative, geared towards resolution, letting go, accomplishments are what once was, it gives way to more of an empathy for the human condition. 

The philosophy of limiting dogma and just practice ideas see where it takes one is interesting. If there is anything to an idea anyone can glean the wisdom, there is no  need to sit at anyone’s feet. Just a perspective. 

Edited by Sherapy
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Abramelin said:

Ok, I will.    . . . . Hmm, interesting views.

https://quotepark.com/authors/ug-krishnamurti/

2 minutes ago, Sherapy said:

Indeed, not unlike living mindfully, or “self actualization” according to Maslow in a sense is moving beyond the I and me of ego identification. It doesn’t’t mean one ever gets rid of their ego one just has gotten to a place there is an acceptance of ones humanness , and understands the striving and surviving of youth transforms into something more altruistic. Based on experience it is an acceptance accompanied by a broader perspective. It is a time one can focus on giving back in some way if that serves them. 

One isn’t invested so heavily into their ego, things are not so personal,, accomplishments are what once was, it gives way to more of an empathy for the human condition. 

The philosophy of limiting dogma and just practice ideas see where it takes one is interesting. If there is anything to an idea anyone can glean the wisdom, there is no  need to sit at anyone’s feet. Just a perspective. 

You think about this, I think about this, and using our brains for thinking about things like this is nothing but a waste of time and energy.

It won't get us anywhere. Why? Because we are using thought to battle thinking.

That's what the little guy said.

And it is something we all love to think about, and by doing that we won't get anything further.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Abramelin said:

I don't think so.

Instead of making up definitions of words, I suggest you google what they really mean before using them. It's quite de rigueur, if you wish to be taken seriously. I respect your raw intelligence, but intelligence requires discipline.

Edited by Hammerclaw
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, Abramelin said:

You think about this, I think about this, and using our brains for thinking about things like this is nothing but a waste of time and energy.

And it is something we all love to think about, and by doing that we won't get anything further.

Indeed, he makes a good point concerning dualistic thinking.

Another perspective some just add to, with the understanding that a person can take it or leave it.

All the best Abralemin, thank you for your contributions. 

Edited by Sherapy
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Crazy Horse said:

Well thanks for your opinion, but obviously I have my own. In a discussion like this there are no absolutes only beliefs and opinions so maybe next time think out that. I only offered my beliefs, I never tried to force or change anyone else's beliefs or Spirituality.

JIMO

• Like 1

On 7/17/2021 at 2:58 PM, closed for business said:

Hi Sherapy

At least he sells it at 50% of retail but 10%is fair handling charges. I built a bike shed for my daughter out of new and recycled material for $500.00 and had people offer me $1500.00 and it's 3'x6' and has a storage shelf so she can put other stuff in as well. I told them I would build them an 8'x4' with all new material for $2500.00 same style and looks like I have 2 in the ready, there is some difference between Walker's investment mine as I do have to physically invest my time as well to build them. I am building a deck on the front of the house because I built a legal suite in the basement and each unit has to have a private space and again spent $500.00 on cull lumber and used deck boards, fasteners, hangers etc, but the advertising is well worth it because of all the foot traffic. The older lady next door wants to come over with a bottle of rum when it's finished and has been quite chatty as of late.:lol:

You know about my home based business as well and although I do not  over charge I am reasonable.;)

Sherapy cant help herself when it comes to me :)  I have no need to justify myself  but the facts  are.

I bought the iron from  an ex student   a t clearing sale after his parent's death.

He wanted 30 dollars for 30 sheets in 2015 and i paid him. It sat in my shed for 6 years (I was going to use it to re-roof my shed  but never did)

I advertised it a t price which seemed reasonable and had half a dozen immediate offers,  The current price for new iron was about twice what Iwas asking and this, being older, was also a heavier gauge.

The young bloke who bought it was building a holiday/beach home and wanted reasonable quality iron.   

Price gouging is a deliberately pejorative  term,  meant to criticise 

Today many peole are money rich and time poor, and happy to pay  a fair price.

It is not really relevant what i paid if the buyers see the price as fair in current terms

I have 4 bird prints by a well known artist that i bought at a garage   sale for 20 dollars total 

Internet valuations are around $60 each 

I am going to sell them for   150 dollars the lot or $40 each,  and told the person who sold me them  to me this.

They were happy with their 20 dollars  cash in hand 

I  have also sold   things a t a loss, like a queen size bed and ensemble which cost $2000 and was sold for 200 dollars cash  and 200 dollars in labour.

I sold a couple of hundred dollars  worth of shell books to a person really keen to get them,  We worked out a price about half of the internet price for the lot  I probably bought them all for less than $50, 15 years ago from second hand book shops   when my wife and i were collecting a lot of shells .

10 hours ago, Abramelin said:

But learn the nature of thought, it's constructs,  it's own construction and purpose, and  you can work out anything using thought.

ie Don't use thought to battle thinking  but use thought to think, to shape/ form /construct your thinking  (and your emotions and your actions and your responses to internal and external events and stimuli)   

Every human is a construct of their thoughts.

Learn to consciously shape your conscious and subconscious  thoughts, and you learn to construct the person you are. 

You can be anything and anyone within the physical limits of your body and your environment,  and those limits don't apply to the person you are within, eg in your dreams or imagination,  only to how you can behave in the waking world  .

Edited by Mr Walker

10 hours ago, Manwon Lender said:

Well thanks for your opinion, but obviously I have my own. In a discussion like this there are no absolutes only beliefs and opinions so maybe next time think out that. I only offered my beliefs, I never tried to force or change anyone else's beliefs or Spirituality.

JIMO

And yet my opinion is based upon reason, assuming one is "Spiritual".

The Ground of Being, The Absolute, The ALL, GOD, whatever you want to call THAT, is the ground from which all particular phenomenon arise. 

That movement of GODs will is called Spirit by some, and no doubt something else by others.

In any event, the world and everything in it, came after GOD, and GODs will.

If you can reason a different point of view then please do, I would be very interested to hear it!

• Confused 1

17 hours ago, Abramelin said:

Your post is about belief, Crazy Horse.

A nice one, but still a belief.

Something else: your username sounds Native American, but not your view on spirituality, as expressed by your post I quoted: it rings 'Christian'.

Yes, my username was an actual man, who ended-up being deceived by the US army/government, and stabbed in the back, literally. I use the name as amark of respect and hopefully it is taken that way too?

But my "spirituality" it in part based upon Christian Mysticism, and Buddhism, and the Vedic, dharmic traditions of the world, which encompasses anything that is based upon Natural Law.

So many names and customs that are all pointing to the same Supreme Reality, aka, GOD.

And by the way, my beliefs are based upon personal experience, which one may take, or leave, until one experiences THAT for oneself.

• Like 1