Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Could a needle phobia explain why some people say they won’t get vaccinated?

Still Waters

“Your body’s full of veins, isn’t it? Well, you’ve got to fill them up with something, haven’t you?” That’s the mystery of blood, as explained by British comedian Tony Hancock in one of the UK’s best-known comedy episodes, The Blood Donor. But he can’t bear to look at the stuff, still less at the needle that siphons off his precious pint of “AB negative, rhesus positive”, swooning away as the tip touches his arm.

Hancock’s character is afflicted by what’s known as “blood-injection-injury” phobia. Among the anxiety disorders, it’s an anomaly. In moments of acute anxiety, it is common to feel as though you’re about to faint. But that feeling is an illusion. Fainting is the product of a dramatic fall in blood pressure. In moments of anxiety the dial surges in the other direction: blood pressure rockets. That makes fainting an impossibility.

Except, however, in cases of blood-injection-injury phobia. Uniquely among anxiety disorders, with this phobia the sight of, say, a hypodermic needle will prompt an initial increase in heart rate and blood pressure, but this may be swiftly followed by a precipitous decline in both (what’s known as a “vasovagal response”). When that happens, some people do indeed hit the deck.

https://theconversation.com/needle-phobia-could-be-the-cause-of-10-of-covid-vaccine-hesitancy-in-the-uk-new-research-162678

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

I don't know why this question is being asked so late in the game. Of course, there will be people who refuse vaccination because of a phobia. :hmm:

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

41 minutes ago, ouija ouija said:

I don't know why this question is being asked so late in the game. Of course, there will be people who refuse vaccination because of a phobia. :hmm:

:D Sometimes we get few that just don't like needles period and complain. But we bribe them with something sweet afterwards if they buck up and let us inject them. And there will always be that one that passes out at the site of a needle, it happens because of vasovagal syncope.

Edited by Katniss

28 minutes ago, aztek said:

No, it really can not.  the only explanation, is people do not trust gvmnt. period

Are you saying there is only one reason, right across the board, and that reason is lack of trust in government?

3 minutes ago, Katniss said:

:D Sometimes we get few that just don't like needles period and complain. But we bribe them with something sweet afterwards if they buck up and let us inject them. And there will always be that one that passes out at the site of a needle, it happens because of vasovagal syncope.

You can't bribe people if they don't even turn up at the vaccination centre!

5 minutes ago, ouija ouija said:

You can't bribe people if they don't even turn up at the vaccination centre!

True. But I was thinking about needles in general. Like when I need to draw blood from a patient for other reasons. So I bribe them to let me get a sample. ;)

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, ouija ouija said:

Are you saying there is only one reason, right across the board, and that reason is lack of trust in government?

what does it look like i said?

No, it really can not.  the only explanation, is people do not trust gvmnt. period

the whole story is bullpoop,  why don't we just ask those who do refuse, for the reason? oh i know it wont be the same as what the media wants us to think  we have several people on this board who said their refused, and it is not due to fear of needles, 

• Thanks 1

"We offered them burgers, lotto tickets, even weed! What more do these morons want?!"

I can't speak for anyone else but @aztek isn't far off. They over-sold this vaccine and that's partially why I haven't gotten it. All last year, covid was the most serious, most pressing issue humanity has ever faced. We had to shut down our entire economy to save lives. Doctors and nurses worked themselves nearly to death trying to keep up with the piles of infected people. N92 masks, medical masks, bandanas had to be worn at all times to prevent the spread. Everything hanged on the promise of life saving medicine that would end the pandemic..

Fast forward to 2021 and now it's FUN to get vaccinated against this virus. It went from "get the shot to save Grandma", to lotteries! Guns! Vacations! Food prizes! C'mon guys, all the cool kids are doing it! :tu: If that doesn't tempt you, maybe we'll even give some of your freedoms back! (No promises.)

How can anyone be expected to trust the institutions that have lied to our faces, repeatedly, for the last few years? Of course the dishonesty goes much further back but let's focus on the last 4 years for now. They can't be bothered to tell the truth about one damn thing but covid is somehow different? Every talking head is absolutely looking out for our best interests now? After talking down to us, demeaning us, dividing us and despising us, you want me to inject this drug cocktail based on your word. Right. While these same people are flying around on private planes ignoring all the protocols us unwashed masses are forced to follow at gun point. It doesn't exactly lend credence to their narrative of a "killer disease". Neither does Fauci lying under oath. Neither does Youtube banning Doctors speaking the truth. I won't even touch on the horrible mismanagement of the covid infection and death numbers, some of which have been walked back but the majority of which are still held up for purpose of fear mongering.

The article in the OP shows how disconnected they are from the average person. They think we are dumb. So dumb we can bribed with fast food and when that doesn't work, they scratch their heads as to why we aren't listening to them.

The other reason I'm holding off is Science. If I can produce my own antibodies post-covid infection, I don't think I need the ones offered by the vaccine. The last flu shot I took was somewhere around 2008 and I can't even remember the last time I've been sick since then. Oh, and I'm not particularly fond of needles...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Flu nearly vanished. Covid everywhere. Wait! What? 

I mean if all those precautions shutdown the flu.....

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Xeno-Fish said:

Flu nearly vanished. Covid everywhere. Wait! What? 

I mean if all those precautions shutdown the flu.....

We'll, yeah, they did.

Funny that. How taking precautions to limit the spread of an airborne virus limits the spread of another airborne virus.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, Setton said:

We'll, yeah, they did.

Funny that. How taking precautions to limit the spread of an airborne virus limits the spread of another airborne virus.

Which didn't limit the spread of another airborne virus. You'd figure the numbers would be way lower. Then again I'm pretty sure 90%+ of "illnesses" were written in as Covid. 

16 minutes ago, Xeno-Fish said:

Which didn't limit the spread of another airborne virus. You'd figure the numbers would be way lower. Then again I'm pretty sure 90%+ of "illnesses" were written in as Covid. 

Which one didn't it limit?

Of course a small number of people won't get it because of that. It's common sense.

How many (and how many of them will actually admit that's the real reason) is up for debate.

Edited by moonman

15 hours ago, aztek said:

Meh, whether the reason is politicophobia or trypanopgibia - it's still irrational.

17 hours ago, aztek said:

the whole story is bullpoop,  why don't we just ask those who do refuse, for the reason? oh i know it wont be the same as what the media wants us to think  we have several people on this board who said their refused, and it is not due to fear of needles, 

The article doesn't claim that everyone who refuses the Covid vaccine is because they're frightened of needles, it was put forward as a possibility from the findings of a new study done in the UK. It's also about needle phobia in general, the Covid vaccine is just part of it.

15 hours ago, Katniss said:

Lol. I think this thread is hitting a few nerves. Kudos to @Still Waters. :tu:

That wasn't my intention for posting it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Still Waters said:

That wasn't my intention for posting it.

I know, my bad if it sounded as though I implied that with my credit to you. I was only noting the Freudian slips in this thread and the results from you not really posting it for that reason. It was ironic in a way.

• Thanks 1

On 6/17/2021 at 2:17 PM, Still Waters said:

“Your body’s full of veins, isn’t it? Well, you’ve got to fill them up with something, haven’t you?” That’s the mystery of blood, as explained by British comedian Tony Hancock in one of the UK’s best-known comedy episodes, The Blood Donor. But he can’t bear to look at the stuff, still less at the needle that siphons off his precious pint of “AB negative, rhesus positive”, swooning away as the tip touches his arm.

Hancock’s character is afflicted by what’s known as “blood-injection-injury” phobia. Among the anxiety disorders, it’s an anomaly. In moments of acute anxiety, it is common to feel as though you’re about to faint. But that feeling is an illusion. Fainting is the product of a dramatic fall in blood pressure. In moments of anxiety the dial surges in the other direction: blood pressure rockets. That makes fainting an impossibility.

Except, however, in cases of blood-injection-injury phobia. Uniquely among anxiety disorders, with this phobia the sight of, say, a hypodermic needle will prompt an initial increase in heart rate and blood pressure, but this may be swiftly followed by a precipitous decline in both (what’s known as a “vasovagal response”). When that happens, some people do indeed hit the deck.

https://theconversation.com/needle-phobia-could-be-the-cause-of-10-of-covid-vaccine-hesitancy-in-the-uk-new-research-162678

On my team at work (a team of 10) everyone except myself has been vaccinated.

Two had to go off sick for a few days following their vaccination because it made them ill (they described it as like having the worst flu of their lives). One of them felt so rough that before she went off sick she was sat there crying at her desk. A third work colleague ended up in hospital off the jab (severe reaction, not blood clots). And people tell me I`m supposed to let myself be injected with that junk? No thank you.

When someone is about to die I can smell it on them, a sweet coppery sick smell like something is decaying. I smelt it on all of them following their jabs. Kept that stuff away from me.

On 6/17/2021 at 2:20 PM, Katniss said:

Lol. I think this thread is hitting a few nerves. Kudos to @Still Waters. :tu:

It isn't the thread that is hitting nerves.  It is the pandemic itself being shoved down our throats 24/7/365 by the Propaganda Media...it is the Social Shaming for not accepting their reasoning...it is the demeaning attitude of anyone who supports something not in their narrative.

:)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, Cookie Monster said:

On my team at work (a team of 10) everyone except myself has been vaccinated.

Two had to go off sick for a few days following their vaccination because it made them ill (they described it as like having the worst flu of their lives). One of them felt so rough that before she went off sick she was sat there crying at her desk. A third work colleague ended up in hospital off the jab (severe reaction, not blood clots). And people tell me I`m supposed to let myself be injected with that junk? No thank you.

When someone is about to die I can smell it on them, a sweet coppery sick smell like something is decaying. I smelt it on all of them following their jabs. Kept that stuff away from me.

are you sure it was not a needle phobia?

i had no reaction from either shot, well almost,   i had slight discomfort in the place of injection. after the first shot, for a day, other than that, nothing.  i'm actually worried a bit, that shots may have been defective or something, and did not work, however there was an article saying it does not mean that. 

Edited by aztek

11 hours ago, aztek said:

are you sure it was not a needle phobia?

i had no reaction from either shot, well almost,   i had slight discomfort in the place of injection. after the first shot, for a day, other than that, nothing.  i'm actually worried a bit, that shots may have been defective or something, and did not work, however there was an article saying it does not mean that. 

An article said it was safe.  Interesting.  I'm not worried at all...remember that old song, I Was Country When Country Wasn't Cool?  I was unmasked, when being unmasked wasn't cool.  Now everyone is.  Why?  Because they got a vaccine that an article said was safe?  Because they listen to the propaganda media blaring from their TVs telling them to do it?  No matter what might be true or untrue...I wasn't wearing a mask, I wasn't using antiseptic, I wasn't concerned....through most of the  pandemic.  And I never got sick.  And I know people who did everything they were told to do and still got sick.

Anyway...all that to say...I told you so!   Not you personally but I do remember posting that the vaccine would get rave responses.  Biden would take credit for everything...and everything would get back to normal in a short time.  They had to have a vaccine of some kind to 'get things rolling again' because you can only play pandemic for so long before it gets old.  

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, joc said:

It isn't the thread that is hitting nerves.  It is the pandemic itself being shoved down our throats 24/7/365 by the Propaganda Media...it is the Social Shaming for not accepting their reasoning...it is the demeaning attitude of anyone who supports something not in their narrative.

:)

Joc, if you really feel that way and you're not just preaching politics for the usual sake of politics, you could seek out a therapist to help you get over all that. I heard meditation can help too. :yes:

2 hours ago, Katniss said:

Joc, if you really feel that way and you're not just preaching politics for the usual sake of politics, you could seek out a therapist to help you get over all that. I heard meditation can help too. :yes:

I'm not preaching politics.  The whole pandemic reeked of politics.  That you listen to the programming and drink the Kool-aid is your problem not mine. :)  ...and I don't meditate...I am already in a permanent 'happy place'.  It's called Now.  I prefer positive thought process over meditation.  Reality over Fantasy.

• Thanks 1