Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Ageing process is unstoppable, finds unprecedented study

Still Waters

Immortality and everlasting youth are the stuff of myths, according to new research which may finally end the eternal debate about whether we can live for ever.

Backed by governments, business, academics and investors in an industry worth $110bn (£82.5bn) – and estimated to be worth $610bn by 2025 – scientists have spent decades attempting to harness the power of genomics and artificial intelligence to find a way to prevent or even reverse ageing.

But an unprecedented study has now confirmed that we probably cannot slow the rate at which we get older because of biological constraints.

https://www.theguardian.com/science/2021/jun/17/ageing-process-is-irreversible-finds-unprecedented-study

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Still Waters said:

Immortality and everlasting youth are the stuff of myths, according to new research which may finally end the eternal debate about whether we can live for ever.

Backed by governments, business, academics and investors in an industry worth $110bn (£82.5bn) – and estimated to be worth $610bn by 2025 – scientists have spent decades attempting to harness the power of genomics and artificial intelligence to find a way to prevent or even reverse ageing.

But an unprecedented study has now confirmed that we probably cannot slow the rate at which we get older because of biological constraints.

https://www.theguardian.com/science/2021/jun/17/ageing-process-is-irreversible-finds-unprecedented-study

Bearing in mind the research has still got a long way to go, on what grounds can research not conducted yet be invalidated? Also research on all organisms so far has found a large number of ways to extend the lifespans of model organisms such as mice. It works, the article is biased.

A discovery announced in February 2021 completely de-aged mice. The hypothesis was that aging is caused by a signalling problem reducing tissue regeneration during sleep. A signalling problem caused by damaged cells, secreting damaged proteins into the blood, and those proteins reducing the efficiency of the signalling to repair the damage in those damaged cells..

Something that was completely corrected in mice by draining half of their blood plasma out and replacing it with saline solution. The mice used de-aged overnight back to their condition during early adulthood.

I predict that going on a protein fast for a couple of days, then doing weights to make your muscle cells scavenge what available protein there is, followed by high hydration all day (not enough to cause a medical issue, but enough to send you to the toilet 10 times) will work on humans. Not as effectively as taking someone into hospital and draining out half of their blood plasma. So instead of it occurring overnight it might be a couple of weeks of practicing it.

Coffee mimics protein starvation and that is shown in population statistics to extend lifespan. So maybe pour in the coffee too.

I'm skeptical of this. I tend to believe that if humans can imagine it, they will try to reach for it. This reminds me of the people who said it would be impossible to break the speed of sound.

The brain is the most important organ, as it is the processor and the memory. If the memories of the brain could be backed up, or copied, eternal life would be following soon after. At least for those who could afford the expense.

Edited by DieChecker

4 hours ago, DieChecker said:

I'm skeptical of this. I tend to believe that if humans can imagine it, they will try to reach for it. This reminds me of the people who said it would be impossible to break the speed of sound.

The brain is the most important organ, as it is the processor and the memory. If the memories of the brain could be backed up, or copied, eternal life would be following soon after. At least for those who could afford the expense.

I like your positive attitude, but I don't think a 'digital' copy is a form of LIFE ?

my first thought was...  I've known lots of people who stopped aging.      ... :P

Edited by lightly

Depends on if you're copied into a cloned/grown body. If we could do that the rich would live forever. 

Getting loaded onto a hard drive, I agree, wouldn't be alive. It would just be information/data. 

• Like 1

On June 18, 2021 at 8:30 AM, DieChecker said:

Depends on if you're copied into a cloned/grown body. If we could do that the rich would live forever. 

Getting loaded onto a hard drive, I agree, wouldn't be alive. It would just be information/data. 

Hmm,  i guess I just can't believe that any sort of copy is our actual conscious selves.  I think we are much more than electrical patterns of memory ....and 'intellect' ? .   We are ALIVE. How do we copy AWARENESS?   And ,further,  I honestly don't think that Life, in it's fullness, is completely understood.    . . and I don't think that the Full nature of reality is completely understood either.    Far from it.

Edited by lightly
  • Like 1

Agree, that if there's something extra... soul... spirit... consciousness... transfering memories wouldn't be enough. But if were just meat machines, highly complex meat machines, it should work.

On 6/18/2021 at 10:19 PM, lightly said:

I like your positive attitude, but I don't think a 'digital' copy is a form of LIFE ?

my first thought was...  I've known lots of people who stopped aging.      ... :P

Do yourself a favour.

Watch this and then tell me what your thoughts are on what is life.

I'm sure you will find this very interesting.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, psyche101 said:

Do yourself a favour.

Thanks psyche, I really wish I could see it...but my browser won't show it to me..:(.     

• Sad 1

9 hours ago, DieChecker said:

Agree, that if there's something extra... soul... spirit... consciousness... transfering memories wouldn't be enough. But if were just meat machines, highly complex meat machines, it should work.

Our awareness is more than memories?  I ask again...how do we copy Awareness?  How can we Think using only memory?

how would we invent or create anything if all we could do is access copies of our Memories ???

is NOW a memory?   How do we look forward with ...'memory' ?  How could we plan anything?

Are you doubting the existence of  consciousness?  As if it is "something extra" ?

Edited by lightly

22 minutes ago, lightly said:

Our awareness is more than memories?  I ask again...how do we copy Awareness?  How can we Think using only memory?

how would we invent or create anything if all we could do is access copies of our Memories ???

is NOW a memory?   How do we look forward with ...'memory' ?  How could we plan anything?

Are you doubting the existence of  consciousness?  As if it is "something extra" ?

What is awareness? Might it be the combination of all our experiences? Our memories?

Is a 1 day old child aware? Why not? Perhaps a critical amount of experiences are required before a Self can emerge.

Bottom line. We can have opinions, but really don't know.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DieChecker said:

What is awareness? Might it be the combination of all our experiences? Our memories?

Is a 1 day old child aware? Why not? Perhaps a critical amount of experiences are required before a Self can emerge.

It seems to me you are only seeing awareness as looking backward..into the past.    And ,yes, a one day old child is aware.  If you threw boiling water on it....would it notice? Would it be AWARE of it?    Of course it would.. you KNOW it would.

2 hours ago, DieChecker said:

Your question fascinates me!    In a nutshell, No, awareness Is not a combination of all our experiences ..our memories.

That is our knowledge and memory... Of which we are AWARE. .   awareness/consciousness is our state of being.  

We are born with awareness, we have some sort of awareness before that, in the womb.  We don't need a sence of 'self' or identity to BE alive and aware.  We needn't 'understand' anything of our existence to...Exist...  We learn by . . Being.   ?

On 6/22/2021 at 12:20 PM, DieChecker said:

• Like 1

On 6/22/2021 at 5:40 AM, lightly said:

It seems to me you are only seeing awareness as looking backward..into the past.    And ,yes, a one day old child is aware.  If you threw boiling water on it....would it notice? Would it be AWARE of it?    Of course it would.. you KNOW it would.

So an earthworm would react if boiling water is placed on it. Are you equating being Aware to Alive?

I thought you were referring to "aware", as in being self aware. Most scientists/doctors don't believe children are self aware till a year to a year and a half.

Before that, children function mainly on instinct, and being manhandled. Doesn't mean they don't learn, just they don't recognize themselves as an individual, like most animals.

https://www.fatherly.com/health-science/children-five-stages-self-awareness-mirror-tests/amp/

On 6/22/2021 at 7:47 AM, lightly said:

Your question fascinates me!    In a nutshell, No, awareness Is not a combination of all our experiences ..our memories.

That is our knowledge and memory... Of which we are AWARE. .   awareness/consciousness is our state of being.  

Seems like a "horse and cart" type question.

https://theconversation.com/amp/how-do-children-develop-a-sense-of-self-56118

From the moment they are born, babies are exposed to information that can teach them about who they are. By touching their own face and body, or by kicking and grabbing things, they start to enjoy the influence of their actions on the world. But it is not until children approach their second birthday that they start to develop a sense of self and are able to reflect on themselves from the perspective of somebody else.

One indication of this new objective self-awareness is that children start recognising themselves in a mirror or photograph – something most children do by the age of two. 

To me this reads like the child requires experiences before they can process themselves and their world to the point if being self aware.

Just FYI, I have a 1 1/2 year old son, so I've read up on it a bit. Babies that is.

Edited by DieChecker

Yeah, the 4 minute mile was a biological constraint that many scientists believed couldn't be beaten. 

Until one day in Oxford, UK.

8 hours ago, DieChecker said:

So an earthworm would react if boiling water is placed on it. Are you equating being Aware to Alive?

I thought you were referring to "aware", as in being self aware. Most scientists/doctors don't believe children are self aware till a year to a year and a half.

Before that, children function mainly on instinct, and being manhandled. Doesn't mean they don't learn, just they don't recognize themselves as an individual, like most animals.

https://www.fatherly.com/health-science/children-five-stages-self-awareness-mirror-tests/amp/

When it comes to human beings, yes, in a normal person I equate being aware to being alive.  I guess one can be alive and Unaware..(comatose for ex.?)   But ,one cannot be aware without being alive.  An infant is alive and aware.

as for 'downloading' memories into another brain..I dunno if that is possible or not.  .But,  memories are not our total awareness/consciousness.  Memories can not plan or create...without looking forward we would never go anywhere or do anything.

i thought you must have been thinking...self awareness.  Your views on that seem accurate.  I assumed we were talking about general human awareness... I'm not as sure of earthworm 'awareness'.  :P

Edited by lightly
  • Like 1

On June 21, 2021 at 11:14 PM, psyche101 said:

Do yourself a favour.

I wish I could watch it...but without watching it...i'll guess that it is equating Life with bio-electrical activity?  ('Light')

My thoughts on 'what is life'  are ...I don't really know exactly...I only Know that life IS.

i'd like to hear you describe ,in a few words, what the essence of the message in the video is?  ....if you would please?

Edited by lightly

On 6/17/2021 at 10:56 PM, Still Waters said:

This looks more like click bait.

The study is comparing the lifespans of primates.  The article completely ignores immortality or longevity achieved by artificial means. 

Edited by Rlyeh

10 hours ago, DieChecker said:

Seems like a "horse and cart" type question.

https://theconversation.com/amp/how-do-children-develop-a-sense-of-self-56118

To me this reads like the child requires experiences before they can process themselves and their world to the point if being self aware.

Just FYI, I have a 1 1/2 year old son, so I've read up on it a bit. Babies that is.

Yes, that SELF awareness takes time to develop is fairly well understood?     The Experiences,which develop self awareness, require Awareness.   

If we think about it though, In a way,  most of our experiences are memories...in that, the brain takes a certain amount of time, no matter how brief, to 'process' our experiences. So, by the 'time' we become aware of someTHING that Happened, it is, in fact, a memory.  ?     I wonder though...might Thoughts be instantaneous?    Just a thought.. :P

Conscious:  1.a.  Having an AWARENESS of one's own existence and environment.