Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Portland's entire Rapid Response Team Quits.

Buzz_Light_Year

https://townhall.com/tipsheet/leahbarkoukis/2021/06/18/portland-polices-entire-rapid-response-team-quits-unit-n2591187

The Portland Police Bureau’s highly-trained rapid response team no longer exists after all 50 members resigned from their voluntary positions follow the indictment of one officer for a misdemeanor assault during last summer’s rioting.

They have now returned to their daily assignments, the PPB said, describing the RRT members as being “trained in advanced skills related to crowd management and crowd control including crowd psychology and behavior, team formations and movements, the use of enhanced personal protective equipment, use of force, de-escalation and arrests.” 

The Portland Police Association said the indicted officer “has been caught in the crossfire of agenda-driven city leaders and a politicized criminal justice system.”

Well I reckon they'll just have to declare Portland an open city. :gun:

• Like 4
  • Sad 2

10 minutes ago, Buzz_Light_Year said:

Well I reckon they'll just have to declare Portland an open city

If it gets any more "open" it'll fall apart completely.  They do seem casual about tossing their cops under the bus don't they?

• Like 4

Sadly the highest murder rate and violent crime rate in Portland for the last 3 months has been in the Lents / Hazelwood neighborhoods which are blue collar, predominately  white and poor.  They are located in East Portland across the river from downtown and far from where the famous riots took place.   Related to BLM?  Push Back? Covid?  You can for your own opinions. 

His explanation seems reasonable, is there footage? On what grounds (and please don’t tell me it was “to appease the mob”) was he convicted?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tatetopa said:

Sadly the highest murder rate and violent crime rate in Portland for the last 3 months has been in the Lents / Hazelwood neighborhoods which are blue collar, predominately  white and poor.  They are located in East Portland across the river from downtown and far from where the famous riots took place.   Related to BLM?  Push Back? Covid?  You can for your own opinions. 

Just being poor can be the catalyst for that kind of stress reaction.  It really doesn't matter why they decided to make the cop a goat, at least in the eyes of his fellow officers.  Cops are human too and I'm amazed at their ability to be restrained in the face of sheer madness.  There are police vacancies all over the country now because of this asinine behavior by Left-leaning politicians.

Low pay, heavy stress on even the best days, the lingering possibility of sudden death every day they go to work, and now, being tossed to the lions even for just doing the job...I mean, what's not to love, huh?

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Sir Wearer of Hats said:

His explanation seems reasonable, is there footage? On what grounds (and please don’t tell me it was “to appease the mob”) was he convicted?

he was not convicted, only charged

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, and then said:

Just being poor can be the catalyst for that kind of stress reaction.  It really doesn't matter why they decided to make the cop a goat, at least in the eyes of his fellow officers.  Cops are human too and I'm amazed at their ability to be restrained in the face of sheer madness.  There are police vacancies all over the country now because of this asinine behavior by Left-leaning politicians.

Low pay, heavy stress on even the best days, the lingering possibility of sudden death every day they go to work, and now, being tossed to the lions even for just doing the job...I mean, what's not to love, huh?

Yeah, true.  Die Checker and I briefly touched on this.  The people I see on the news at these crime scenes look like 40 year old street people and crack heads.  Die  Checker reminded me of the anarchists  that used to protest world trade.   I don't know if they are the same people, but they don't like any of us.  

Police do have it tough and like firemen they risk their lives everyday.  Sometimes one gives way to anger and a body cam or bystanders catch it.  All of the police that quit the special unit are still on the job so they are still protecting Portland citizens and still on the job. 

Like the military, they have a pretty high standard to hold concerning rules of engagement. If they do not, and crack the wrong skulls, how long will it be before people that distrust the government, the FBI, and the CIA also distrust their local police?

• Like 3

Getting busted on camera hitting a female journalist with a baton and then walking away like nothing happened when he saw that he was getting filmed does tend to even get law enforcement in trouble.  

• Like 3

That reminds me of a video I saw yesterday where a black woman is videoed forcing her way around the counter of a convenience store and then attacking the Asian clerk.  She was a rather beefy lady and after taking a couple of punches the guy started waling on her.  There were a few other customers there who caught the action on their cameras.  The little clerk just cut LOOSE on her for about 3 minutes or so.  The guys who were filming kept yelling at him to let her go, "that's enough" they said.  One of the guys had apparently been about to step to her aid when another pointed out that a second clerk had a gun in his hand.

It's quite a reflection on how our country is doing these days.  I'd post the video but it would probably break forum rules for graphic violence.  There was no way to tell from the vid who might have started the altercation.  Depending on the city it occurred in, the clerk better watch his six from now on...