Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Turkey aims to send rocket to moon in three years, land lunar rover by 2030

Desertrat56

https://www.space.com/turkey-moon-rover-rocket-plans

Turkey talks ambitious plans to become a space power.

Turkey plans to send a rover to the moon by the end of the decade using a domestically built rocket engine that will first fly to the moon in a test mission in 2023.

Speaking at the Global Space Exploration Conference (GLEX) 2021 in St. Petersburg, Russia, on Tuesday (June 16), Serdar Hüseyin Yildirim, president of the Turkish Space Agency (TUA), discussed details of the country's space program, which was officially unveiled by Turkey's President Recep Tayyip Erdogan in February this year. 

The rover, which will be launched in 2028 or 2029, according to Yildirim, will land softly on the moon and collect scientific data on its surface. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I thought turkeys were flightless. :rolleyes:

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

They can fly but not very far. They roost up in trees at night.

How Far Can wild turkeys fly?
about 100 yards

Unlike the muscles of the hind limbs, which are made for sustained use, the breast muscles that power a turkey's wings are built for rapid but brief exertions. A wild turkey rarely fliesmore than about 100 yards, which is usually enough to bring it to safety.Nov 25, 2013
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, susieice said:

about 100 yards

Unlike the muscles of the hind limbs, which are made for sustained use, the breast muscles that power a turkey's wings are built for rapid but brief exertions. A wild turkey rarely fliesmore than about 100 yards, which is usually enough to bring it to safety.Nov 25, 2013

I did not know that, but it was just meant as a terrible joke. On the other hand it allways nice to learn something new. :tu:

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, susieice said:

about 100 yards

Wild Turkeys can take off straight up and I do mean straight up. I was picking Black Raspberries along the edge of the woods and a wild Turkey came out of the brambles and I'm sure that my presence at about 3 feet away surprised him. Well he launched himself straight up and at about 10-12 feet off the ground the Turkey rolled over and flew higher just like the space shuttle did on lift off. Now that in itself was a awe invoking sight but it wasn't over yet, another Turkey plopped out from the bushes a few seconds behind the first and launched himself in the exact same manner. I'd given anything to have been able to record that with a camera or video.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Noteverythingisaconspiracy said:

I thought turkeys were flightless. :rolleyes:

Ever since they got thrashed by the Welsh, they've begun to get an inferiority complex... :devil: