Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Supreme court rules for college athletes in compensation dispute with NCAA

spartan max2

All I got to say is about ****en time B)

The Supreme Court on Monday handed a unanimous win to Division I college athletes in their legal fight against the National Collegiate Athletic Association over caps the organization sought to impose on compensation related to education.

The top court voted 9-0 to affirm lower court rulings that prevented the NCAA from restricting payments to athletes for items such as musical instruments or as compensation for internships.

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/06/21/supreme-court-rules-for-college-athletes-in-compensation-dispute-with-ncaa.html?__source=androidappshare

• Like 4

22 minutes ago, spartan max2 said:

All I got to say is about ****en time B)

For all the money sports bring in to the school's they should all get a free education.

• Like 3

Just now, OverSword said:

For all the money sports bring in to the school's they should all get a free education.

These young guys and gals basically sacrifice their bodies, with damage that will last the rest of their lives, for universities to get massive profits with little compensation.

It's the biggest BS

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, spartan max2 said:

These young guys and gals basically sacrifice their bodies, with damage that will last the rest of their lives, for universities to get massive profits with little compensation.

It's the biggest BS

and there were fully aware of dangers before, and they still signed up. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, aztek said:

Maybe they should unionize?  

Maybe they should unionize?  

and how will that change the fact they they knowingly on their own free will engaged in activity that has a potential to hurt them?

2 minutes ago, aztek said:

Lul. Are 18 year old jocks truly aware of the lifelong effects of their choice :lol: lol.

Regardless. It's exploitation. And the supreme court agrees. Unanimously in fact.

Edited by spartan max2
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, aztek said:

and how will that change the fact they they knowingly on their own free will engaged in activity that has a potential to hurt them?

They could negotiate disability compensation, levels of pay...who knows?  There are plenty of people that knowingly put their bodies on the line  through their employment who are unionized.

Edited by OverSword
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, spartan max2 said:

Lul. Are 18 year old jocks truly aware of the lifelong effects of their choice :lol: lol.

Regardless. It's exploitation. And the supreme court agrees. Unanimously in fact.

yes, even 18 years old are aware of dangers, they may not take is as serious as 38 years old would, but it does not change the fact that they are aware, as far as court decision, it is nothing but a political virtue signaling, 

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, OverSword said:

They could negotiate disability compensation, levels of pay...who knows?  There are plenty of people that knowingly put their bodies on the line  through their employment who are unionized.

well if they unionize, one thing is most likely to happen, schools will drop the  entire athletic  program,  unions are bullies and extortionists,  i have no doubt schools would not want to deal with them, on top of many other issues they face now,  it'll happen the same way as Walmart closed stores, for "plumbing issues" but in reality they closed locations that talked about unionizing, 

Edited by aztek
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, aztek said:

yes, even 18 years old are aware of dangers, they may not take is as serious as 38 years old would, but it does not change the fact that they are aware, as far as court decision, it is nothing but a political virtue signaling, 

Oh come on lol. Now you're just being a contrarian. :rolleyes:

Edited by spartan max2
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, aztek said:

well if they unionize, one thing is most likely to happen, schools will drop the  entire athletic  program,  unions are bullies and extortionists,  i have no doubt schools would not want to deal with them, on top of many other issues they face now,  it'll happen the same way as Walmart closed stores, for "plumbing issues" but in reality they closed locations that talked about unionizing, 

Or they will just take steps to avoid that by giving athletes fair compensation.  Do you have any idea how much they rake in just from ticket sales to football games??  I doubt they will easily give that up.

Both unions and regulations don't come from thin air.  Exploitation had to have occurred to (like in this case) for the people involved to actually do something.  Best way to stop a union- don't exploit your workers.  Good pay, fair treatment, decent benefits, etc. would make unions unnecessary.    

• Like 3

2 hours ago, spartan max2 said:

Do you have any idea how badly you have to **** up for the supreme court to UNANIMOUSLY tell you you're so full of **** you can be used to fertilize crops? 

• Like 3

Why bother with student athletes at all?  Just hire some semi-pros to represent the schools. Offer to pay them what a scholarship and room and board are worth.  They work and get scouted at the same time, maybe wind up in the pros.

Could you hire somebody for that amount, depending on the school, $25-45k a year?

1 hour ago, OverSword said:

Or they will just take steps to avoid that by giving athletes fair compensation.  Do you have any idea how much they rake in just from ticket sales to football games??  I doubt they will easily give that up.

how do we calculate what is fair?   school gives them an opportunity to show themselves to  recruiters, and get signed up, and earn millions, they wouldn't be able to do it without the school, would they?

1 minute ago, aztek said:

how do we calculate what is fair?   school gives them an opportunity to show themselves to  recruiters, and get signed up, and earn millions, they wouldn't be able to do it without the school, would they?

If the NBA didn't have a 19 year minimum age they could.  The NBA knows who those guys are before they play in NCAA for a season

If the NBA didn't have a 19 year minimum age they could.  The NBA knows who those guys are before they play in NCAA for a season

of course, NBA want to see them play, before they sign up,   it only supports my position. 

2 minutes ago, aztek said:

of course, NBA want to see them play, before they sign up,   it only supports my position. 

But they know who they are before college.  Plenty of NBA players didn't play college ball.  Kobe Bryant, Shawn Kemp, LeBron James, Moses Malone, Kevin Garnett off the top of my head.  Who knows what kind of financial deal the NCAA made with the NBA to get those players for a year to improve their revenue.  So now if those epic ballers get a career ending injury and can't get into the NBA because of that agreement maybe they should expect some compensation.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, OverSword said:

But they know who they are before college.  Plenty of NBA players didn't play college ball.  Kobe Bryant, Shawn Kemp, LeBron James, Moses Malone, Kevin Garnett off the top of my head.  Who knows what kind of financial deal the NCAA made with the NBA to get those players for a year to improve their revenue.  So now if those epic ballers get a career ending injury and can't get into the NBA because of that agreement maybe they should expect some compensation.

exactly, we do not have an idea, yet we believe school is not compensating players fairly, 

10 minutes ago, aztek said:

exactly, we do not have an idea, yet we believe school is not compensating players fairly, 

So we believe that? We would include you so we agree. :tsu:

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, OverSword said:

So we believe that? We would include you so we agree. :tsu:

lol., nice try, but we'll have to agree to disagree  i do not think school players need to be compensated at all. 

I heard (on the radio I think) that the 7 highest paid state employees are all coaches. They're probably looking for a crack at the big leagues too. To be fair they should work for free too (or at least have their expenses paid).

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, aztek said:

yes, in a way i am

It's your middle name :yes: