Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Danger and demons: Yemen's mysterious 'Well of Hell'

Still Waters

Surrounded in mystery and tales of demons, the Well of Barhout in Yemen's east—known as the "Well of Hell"—is a little-understood natural wonder.

Closer to the border with Oman than to the capital Sanaa 1,300 kilometres (800 miles) away, the giant hole in the desert of Al-Mahra province is 30 metres wide and thought to be anywhere between 100 and 250 metres deep.

Local folklore says it was created as a prison for the demons—a reputation bolstered by the foul odours rising from its depths.

Yemeni officials say they don't know what lies below.

https://phys.org/news/2021-06-danger-demons-yemen-mysterious-hell.html

• Like 7

It was just a sinking hole, but some really believe it was a hole to hell:) some religions  say when your good you go to heaven but when your so bad you go to hell :)

Edited by docyabut2

Hell is on the outside, in Yemen, driven by richer nations, far away.

So many plagues, so little time, Father. My guardian, now destruction, to my enemy, a fire from far and away.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Still Waters said:

Local folklore says it was created as a prison for the demons—a reputation bolstered by the foul odours rising from its depths.

sounds like a methane pit.  Don't smoke near the hole...word to the wise....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Darvaza_gas_crater

Darvasa gas crater panorama.jpg

Edited by joc
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Raptor Witness said:

Hell is on the outside, in Yemen, driven by richer nations, far away.

So many plagues, so little time, Father. My guardian, now destruction, to my enemy, a fire from far and away.

You are such a funny little boy!

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
On 9/23/2021 at 8:19 AM, Still Waters said:

That was horrible! That climber barely touched the ground before those terrifying demons tore him to shreds! I'll never sleep again!

Oh wait. I was watching a different video. Sorry.

This is SPARTAAA!! YEMENNNN!! HELLLL!!!

• Haha 1

I was hoping to see more footage at the bottom and less drone flyovers at the top. It's surreal down there.

I wonder where the dripping water is coming from, is it condensation? Is it leaching through the walls and overhangs?

I know its not what it seems... but on some of those top views it almost looks like something was screwed in there.   It gives the visual impression of a giant wood screw was inserted then unscrewed