Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The UM Phun Photograph Competition

Waspie_Dwarf

5 hours ago, Waspie_Dwarf said:

Hi everyone. With the help and approval of Saru I am happy to announce that The UM Phun Photography Competition is coming soon.

The competition will be open for all members of all abilities. It is for fun, rather than a serious photographic competition. As such all members will be invited to vote for the picture(s) they enjoy the most, rather than the one which is most technically correct.

We hope to start the first competition on 1st July. We hope that photos will be taken specifically for the competition. We intend to run a new competition every three months. New entries will be eligible for the first two months, with the next three(ish) weeks open for voting and the final week will give us time for setting up the next competition. All members will be allowed to enter up to five photos each. There will be no prize for the winner except pride and the right to select the subject of the next competition.

The subjects should be open enough that all members, no matter where they live, can be free to enter, so nothing too specific such as "snow capped mountains" or "waterfalls" for example. Something vague, such as "water" or "transport" are the sort of things we are aiming for as all members should be able to think of something to photograph and it will allow for creativity.

I will be setting the subject for the first competition, which will be announced when the competition starts. The winner of the first competition will get to set the subject for the next.

Entries MUST be the member's own work... plagiarism may lead to disqualification from the competition. Full rules will be published at the start of the competition.

As this is intended to be fun we ask that members vote on the photo only. Put aside differences and friendships on other sections of the site. This competition can be fun, and succeed, only with the help and participation of the members. I have faith in you.

Will the storage limitations for photos be altered in anyway?

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

Sounds cool

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Golden Duck said:

That's one for @Saru to answer. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

This sounds GREAT!  Especially the ability to "compete" based on something other than skill :w00t:

Should be a lot of fun and laughs ;) 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Golden Duck said:

Unfortunately no, because there's no way to change the size limit for file attachments to a specific section.

Instead, it's best to use third party image hosting solutions where possible - which gives you the ability to upload images of any size.

You can use Instagram, Imgur, Google Photos, Flickr, Photobucket or other service of your choice, then link to, embed or hotlink the images to the forum.

If the photo has a small file size ( <250kb ) then you can also use the forum's built in attachments system.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Sounds like a nice idea. :tu:

Maybe someone who has tried various photo hosting sites recently could recommend one they have found easy to use and simple to set up for those who have not tried photo hosting?

I used to have a Photobucket account that was OK, a few years back, but lost log in when my old computer died. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, L.A.T.1961 said:

Maybe someone who has tried various photo hosting sites recently could recommend one they have found easy to use and simple to set up for those who have not tried photo hosting?

I used to have a Photobucket account that was OK, a few years back, but lost log in when my old computer died. 

I used to use Photobucket too.  Have not logged on there in a long time and I don't have my login info any more either.

4 minutes ago, L.A.T.1961 said:

I just logged on to Photobucket and got a new password with "Forgot password" option.  It is different but my photos are still there.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Desertrat56 said:

I just logged on to Photobucket and got a new password with "Forgot password" option.  It is different but my photos are still there.

I think I might need to start again, I have no user name or password to try a log in.

Not as I am too bothered about what was on there as I still have the originals and there were only a few dozen photos stored. 

I set up an account to see if there was any changes made to images during upload, image compression Ect.

I cannot remember now if there was or not.

Edited by L.A.T.1961

25 minutes ago, L.A.T.1961 said:

I think I might need to start again, I have no user name or password to try a log in.

Not as I am too bothered about what was on there as I still have the originals and there were only a few dozen photos stored. 

I set up an account to see if there was any changes made to images during upload, image compression Ect.

I cannot remember now if there was or not.

I found that I have a lot of photos on there and they were all digital to begin with.  I am going to download them all to my new computer.

• Like 1

That will keep you busy for the rest of the day :lol:

Its finding photos I had forgot I had taken that makes going through my archive again so interesting.

I still have lots of negatives and slide film to digitize, not sure when though. :rolleyes:

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, L.A.T.1961 said:

That will keep you busy for the rest of the day :lol:

Its finding photos I had forgot I had taken that makes going through my archive again so interesting.

I still have lots of negatives and slide film to digitize, not sure when though. :rolleyes:

Me too.  I have slides from my mother and from my dad that I want to digitize.   Boxes of them.  I checked out a website that does it but they were so expensive I can't believe they could stay in business.  $80.00 for 10 slides!    My mother bought a little machine that digitizes slides and I may end up using that but it is so slow.  You can load 5 slides into a bracket and scan them in one at a time, it takes about 10 - 15 minutes for 5 slides.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Desertrat56 said:

Me too.  I have slides from my mother and from my dad that I want to digitize.   Boxes of them.  I checked out a website that does it but they were so expensive I can't believe they could stay in business.  $80.00 for 10 slides!    My mother bought a little machine that digitizes slides and I may end up using that but it is so slow.  You can load 5 slides into a bracket and scan them in one at a time, it takes about 10 - 15 minutes for 5 slides.

Photographing slides can work quite well, I bought a kit that I can manually photo 1 slide every 20/30 sec or so. It fits in front of the camera lens so can be used with DSLR or compact.

Images can then be reversed on photo software and any other adjustments made before archive.

This is basically the same as my film/slide copier.

https://www.bristolcameras.co.uk/p-reflecta-hd-slide-duplicator.htm

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/22/2021 at 3:24 PM, Desertrat56 said:

I have tons of slides...and I have a projector and a screen.  What I don't have is the cord for the projector and I haven't been able to find one anywhere.  Alas...

• Sad 1

The competition is up and running:

• Like 2

How does it work? 

Screenshot_2021_0701_201254.png.bb161b730d2242db797dac4d3da26853.png

~

• Sad 2

I too 'do not have permission to see it' :cry:

• Like 2

There was a permissions issue with the new section, that's it fixed now.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

10 hours ago, joc said:

I have tons of slides...and I have a projector and a screen.  What I don't have is the cord for the projector and I haven't been able to find one anywhere.  Alas...

Boo, that is weird.  No one makes the cord anymore?   I have my dad's projector and screen.   

• Like 1
  • Sad 1