Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Progressive groups launch $1.5M ad buy to pressure Sinema on filibuster

OverSword

The left, eating itself.

A coalition of progressive organizations on Monday announced the launch of a $1.5 million television ad campaign targeting centrist Democratic Sen. Kyrsten Sinema (Ariz.) over her opposition to filibuster reform and a $15 per hour minimum wage. 

Twenty Arizona groups joined Just Democracy, a coalition of more than 40 “Black and Brown-led organizations” promoting democracy reform, in unveiling two hard-hitting ads targeting Sinema.

In one spot, titled “Words,” an Indigenous activist, a Black community activist and a Black pastor face the camera and ask why Sinema is “standing by” and “allowing Republican leaders to threaten our rights,” while footage of Sinema’s recent press conference with Sen. John Cornyn (R-Texas) in Tucson, where Sinema reiterated her opposition to getting rid of the filibuster, flashes on the screen.

Link

The stupid thing is, if they were to get rid of the filibuster the next time the Republicans have the majority and the dem's had no recourse when a bill they are against is pushed through what will their opinion of it be then?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, OverSword said:

the next time the Republicans have the majority

IF they dump the filibuster, they WILL pass HR1 on a tiebreaker vote.  I think they actually believe they'll never lose power to Republicans again once they have that codified cheating law passed.

• Like 1

Is their goal to make her more popular in Arizona :huh: lol

• Haha 4

3 minutes ago, spartan max2 said:

Is their goal to make her more popular in Arizona :huh: lol

This is what happens when you "embrace activism" in your party.  The radical section will undermine you.  I mean I can't say this isn't also happening to the other side as well but I don't think they are as divided as the dems

• Like 2

Just now, OverSword said:

This is what happens when you "embrace activism" in your party.  The radical section will undermine you.  I mean I can't say this isn't also happening to the other side as well but I don't think they are as divided as the dems

Jokes aside I've always liked Sinema. She's the first openly atheist senator and use to be a social worker.

Voted with Trump 25% of the time, which can be reasonably called bipartisan.

• Like 4

My problem with this for the people act they're so worked up about is it is a big federal intrusion on states rights.  The federal government does not need to be given one ounce more power than it already has.  It's much more powerful than was originally intended and as corrupt as I can handle.  We need reformation back to libertarian standards IMO. 

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, OverSword said:

I think a serious  power struggle is underway in both parties.  Trump has made the GOP his own and the RINOs are apoplectic about it.  On the Left, the extremists are doing the same thing to the establishment in their party.  Manchin's explanation of why he won't vote to kill it tells me he understands the horrible consequences of this nation being further divided.  If that's done and the perception on the Right is that any government in elected offices is illegitimate it will only be a matter of time before the country literally comes part at the seams.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, OverSword said:

The stupid thing is, if they were to get rid of the filibuster the next time the Republicans have the majority and the dem's had no recourse when a bill they are against is pushed through what will their opinion of it be then?

Of course they know they will lose power again, maybe even in 2022. .  Elections have consequences.    The filibuster came around nearly  100 years after the  Constitution was written.  It is not part of the Constitution. which does outline where a 2/3 vote is needed rather than a simple majority  .  Why not just play the game as the Constitution wrote the rules?   When their time comes, Democrats will have to take their lumps.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Tatetopa said:

Of course they know they will lose power again, maybe even in 2022. .  Elections have consequences.    The filibuster came around nearly  100 years after the  Constitution was written.  It is not part of the Constitution. which does outline where a 2/3 vote is needed rather than a simple majority  .  Why not just play the game as the Constitution wrote the rules?   When their time comes, Democrats will have to take their lumps.

Well I think the game they play is to stretch the constitution to it's legal limits and I never got how filibustering was a thing, it must be constitutional though(?).  But one thing about the filibuster is for sure, if one party eradicates it they will regret that action when they are no longer dominant.

1 minute ago, OverSword said:

Well I think the game they play is to stretch the constitution to it's legal limits and I never got how filibustering was a thing, it must be constitutional though(?).  But one thing about the filibuster is for sure, if one party eradicates it they will regret that action when they are no longer dominant.

That's bound to happen in any system  with rules that are designed to be neutral. Both sides should equally receive benefits and consequences.  The only system either party would not regret is if they were in charge all the time and always got their way.  It may not be in the best interest of citizens for that to be the case.   Its a slim hope, but maybe shake ups, changes in power and term limits will shake some of the self serving politicians out of the system.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Tatetopa said:

That's bound to happen in any system  with rules that are designed to be neutral. Both sides should equally receive benefits and consequences.  The only system either party would not regret is if they were in charge all the time and always got their way.  It may not be in the best interest of citizens for that to be the case.   Its a slim hope, but maybe shake ups, changes in power and term limits will shake some of the self serving politicians out of the system.

Very slim.  The only call for any kind of term limits from within the government are those of Supreme Court Justices and the only reason for that is so politicians can more easily manipulate the courts political leaning.  Sad situation we find ourselves in.

Edited by OverSword
  • Like 2

Oh nooooo the party that was elected to do the peoples work in a fair democratic election is trying to do the job they where elected to do. Truly this is the sign of the coming end times!

6 hours ago, OverSword said:

they will regret that action when they are no longer dominant.

Unless the fools actually believe they won't lose again.  I'll say this and keep saying it.  IF HR1 passes as is on a tiebreaker vote there is going to be serious repercussions all over this nation.  Anyone who reads it should understand that it set cheating into law and it will NOT BE ALLOWED TO STAND.

12 minutes ago, and then said:

Unless the fools actually believe they won't lose again.  I'll say this and keep saying it.  IF HR1 passes as is on a tiebreaker vote there is going to be serious repercussions all over this nation.  Anyone who reads it should understand that it set cheating into law and it will NOT BE ALLOWED TO STAND.

Is that the cheating 62 investigations found no evidence of?