Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

EU to lift its ban on feeding animal remains to domestic livestock

Still Waters

A ban on farm feed made of animal remains introduced during the BSE crisis is to be lifted in the EU to allow cheap pig protein to be fed to chickens over fears that European farmers are being undercut by lower standards elsewhere.

The change to the regulations come into force in August following a last-ditch attempt by a coalition of MEPs, led by the Greens, which failed on Tuesday to kill the policy. The EU’s member states have already endorsed the regulation, with only France and Ireland abstaining.

The use of processed animal protein (PAP) from mammals in the feed of cattle and sheep was banned by the EU in 1994 as the full horrors of BSE, or bovine spongiform encephalopathy, emerged.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/jun/22/eu-to-lift-its-ban-on-feeding-animal-remains-to-domestic-livestock

• Sad 5

Oh great!

"We're being undercut by lower standards elsewhere, so we'll also lower our standards."

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

11 minutes ago, Likely Guy said:

Oh great!

"We're being undercut by lower standards elsewhere, so we'll also lower our standards."

I thought that a strange argument.

I was assured the eu have high standards as well. it would seem not.

• Like 3

Brace yourselves for round two: Mad Chicken Disease :hmm:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

The EU sucks.

Too wrapped up in red tape, too slow, lost in its own self importance,  vindictive, petty with outcomes that fail the people it's meant to serve.

Who's next after the UK? 

Ireland 3/1

Cyprus 2/1

Netherlands 10/11

Italy needs to but lack the balls to do it 8/1

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, OpenMindedSceptic said:

The EU sucks.

Too wrapped up in red tape, too slow, lost in its own self importance,  vindictive, petty with outcomes that fail the people it's meant to serve.

Who's next after the UK? 

Ireland 3/1

Cyprus 2/1

Netherlands 10/11

Italy needs to but lack the balls to do it 8/1

I'll just ask about these two things. What red tape? The whole point of the Single Market was to do away with red tape. It's gone.

Why do you think the EU is petty and vindictive? Because they expect Johnson to respect the trade deal he made with them?

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Likely Guy said:

Oh great!

When the UK left the EU, it was always going to be a race to the bottom. :hmm:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, acute said:

When the UK left the EU, it was always going to be a race to the bottom. :hmm:

Is the UK going to feed pigs to chickens too? I hope not.

BTW: Glad to see the hedgehog back.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, ted hughes said:

I'll just ask about these two things. What red tape? The whole point of the Single Market was to do away with red tape. It's gone.

Why do you think the EU is petty and vindictive? Because they expect Johnson to respect the trade deal he made with them?

No, have you seen the issues they have getting something like a standardised tax rate through the system as an example... they can't do it.

Something like 80% of the court cases in the ECJ are lost by the members bringing the cases to them. These are the members saying they don't like many of the laws they're meant to adhere to.

Everything moves at a snails pace, look at vaccine roll.out, what a mess, then they try to pin it on AZ but lost their own court case.

Look at how they don't understand Ireland and the way they treat Ireland is appalling.

As for doing away with red-tape. They increased the paperwork required in most areas of trade. The lack of red tape is only movement of people within the borders, Everything else saw an increase in paperwork at the beginning, it's just many are not old enough to remember.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, OpenMindedSceptic said:

No, have you seen the issues they have getting something like a standardised tax rate through the system as an example... they can't do it.

Something like 80% of the court cases in the ECJ are lost by the members bringing the cases to them. These are the members saying they don't like many of the laws they're meant to adhere to.

Everything moves at a snails pace, look at vaccine roll.out, what a mess, then they try to pin it on AZ but lost their own court case.

Look at how they don't understand Ireland and the way they treat Ireland is appalling.

As for doing away with red-tape. They increased the paperwork required in most areas of trade. The lack of red tape is only movement of people within the borders, Everything else saw an increase in paperwork at the beginning, it's just many are not old enough to remember.

What does this mean? Ireland is still in the EU, how are they treating it?

And where did they increase paperwork? As I understand it, a trader in Spain can load an item on a lorry and just whizz it to Germany, whether it is a machine part or a sausage. Have I got this wrong?

On 6/22/2021 at 9:25 PM, Still Waters said:

A ban on farm feed made of animal remains introduced during the BSE crisis is to be lifted in the EU to allow cheap pig protein to be fed to chickens over fears that European farmers are being undercut by lower standards elsewhere.

The change to the regulations come into force in August following a last-ditch attempt by a coalition of MEPs, led by the Greens, which failed on Tuesday to kill the policy. The EU’s member states have already endorsed the regulation, with only France and Ireland abstaining.

The use of processed animal protein (PAP) from mammals in the feed of cattle and sheep was banned by the EU in 1994 as the full horrors of BSE, or bovine spongiform encephalopathy, emerged.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/jun/22/eu-to-lift-its-ban-on-feeding-animal-remains-to-domestic-livestock

I believe that humans who eat humans develop the shakes too.

Our practices in the UK at the time were to feed cattle to cattle, pigs to pigs, chickens to chickens, and that might be the source of how the shakes (BSE) found its way into our food chain. Then cross contamination from feeding infected animals to the other species.

Food safety needs to be looked at as from the science I can see no reason where a human consuming a human hair in a food product arent also at risk. Although due to the low biomass of hairs then the risk is low of contracting the shakes from one meal. With 8 billion people on the planet its got to happen now and again though.

Edited by Cookie Monster
  • Confused 1

So much for the project fear chlorinated chicken faux outrage.

Edited by itsnotoutthere
  • Haha 1

On 6/24/2021 at 10:15 AM, itsnotoutthere said:

So much for the project fear chlorinated chicken faux outrage.

Faux outrage, indeed, I'm still waiting for the remainer melt down. 

Criticism of the project

Silence. 

• Like 1