Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Eldorado

E-Scooters are a 'disaster waiting to happen'

Eldorado

“Death traps”.

That’s how the Met Police has described E-Scooters, which I agree are a disaster waiting to happen on our pavements.

The tragic reality came to the streets of Wolverhampton this week.

Shakur Amoy Pinnock, who was just 20-years-old, died after his e-scooter collided with a car.

His girlfriend, who was riding as a passenger on the e-scooter, suffered serious injuries but survived.

The sad death follows that of the 35-year-old TV presenter Emily Hartridge whose e-scooter collided with a lorry in London in 2019.

And I fear more tragedies like this will follow if nothing changes.

GB News opinion piece

• Haha 3

closed for business
Posted (edited)

There are a fair amount of drivers in this city that I would rather they used a scooter, they are dangerous just walking never mind driving anything.:lol: 

Edited to add

My condolences for their losses

Edited by closed for business
added context
  • Like 2

Autochthon1990

Oh come now, I live in Denver and use the things all the time. And frankly they are exactly has dangerous has any other non-vehicular means of conveyance. Bikes, actual scooters, those weird hoverboard things, skateboards, all of them have some risk involved. Just wear a damn helmet. 

• Like 2

toast

For half of the e-scooter users in my hometown, and other cities as well, corporal punishment should be reintroduced because these idiots deliberately park the units in a manner to disturb pedestrians at maximum level, see some examples here.

Grrrrrr!!!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Saru

I've never ridden one, but from what I've seen of them, they never seem particularly safe to me.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Desertrat56

I had to look this up, even though I live in the largest city in the state we are still rural compared to other cities.   There is not much foot traffic in areas where these e-scooters would be used. And everywhere else except the city buildings down town (courthouses etc) have plenty of large parking lots.  And if they can go 40 MPH that is a dangerous ride!   15 mph is fast enough, there is no rational reason to have the ability for them to go faster than that.

• Like 1

toast
2 hours ago, Desertrat56 said:

15 mph is fast enough, there is no rational reason to have the ability for them to go faster than that.

Even 15mph is ways enough to kill yourself with these units. I feel comfortabe and safe on a motorbike with 200HP but I would never ride such a pogo-stick with wheels.

Here a statement of a Hamburg casualty hospital:

Since the approval of e-scooters in rental systems for road traffic in Germany on June 15, 2019, 42 percent of the patients treated in the trauma surgery of the Schön Klinik in Hamburg Eilbek who were injured in an accident with one of the small electric vehicles were head injuries. Other types of injuries were far less common. The e-scooter can be used without instruction and there is no obligation to wear a protective helmet despite the risk of severe head injuries.

The scooters are also often used by sloshed drivers which further increases the risk of accidents. And I often see e-scooter here which are manned with 3 teens.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

Autochthon1990
2 hours ago, Desertrat56 said:

I had to look this up, even though I live in the largest city in the state we are still rural compared to other cities.   There is not much foot traffic in areas where these e-scooters would be used. And everywhere else except the city buildings down town (courthouses etc) have plenty of large parking lots.  And if they can go 40 MPH that is a dangerous ride!   15 mph is fast enough, there is no rational reason to have the ability for them to go faster than that.

Fifteen works fine for me, I don't need much then that for puttering around town with groceries on the handlebars. It's pretty convenient and it beats having to wait in a bus. 

Jon the frog
Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, Saru said:

I've never ridden one, but from what I've seen of them, they never seem particularly safe to me.

Smaller you are... the riskier it is. On a small e-scooter, rider can be mistaken for a standstill pedestrian but they move at 30km/h... a good way to get run on.

Edited by Jon the frog
  • Like 2