Jump to content
Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Eldorado

U.S. is increasingly diverse, so why is segregation getting worse?

Recommended Posts

Eldorado
Posted (edited)

The integration battles of the Civil Rights era happened more than half a century ago, but the U.S. is getting more, not less, segregated, as that past recedes.

More than 80% of large metropolitan areas in the United States were more segregated in 2019 than they were in 1990, according to an analysis of residential segregation released Monday by the Othering & Belonging Institute at the University of California-Berkeley.

The U.S. has become more diverse over time, which has obscured the persistence of segregation, the report finds. Metropolitan areas aren’t all-white, all-Black, or all-Latino, but within metropolitan areas, the different races are clustered in segregated neighborhoods, creating social and economic divisions that can fuel unrest.

Full article at Time magazine

Twenty-First Century Racial Residential Segregation in the United States

Berkeley Uni

Edited by Eldorado
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
OverSword
Posted (edited)

I was going to say my neighborhood is much more diverse than it was a decade ago, and mention the place I grew up where my Mother still lives also has many Asians and people from India making up a good part of the home owners.  It's within a mile of the Microsoft campus which explains that I supposed, and thought for a moment, well It's Seattle so probably the exception not the rule.

Then I read this line in the article:

Quote

Areas may appear to be integrated because they are home to many different racial groups, when in fact those groups live completely apart.

:lol: Seriously?  What a load of horse manure.  Hey America, feel guilty from all of the hate that we tell you that you have for each other. :rolleyes:

Edited by OverSword
  • Like 5
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
papageorge1

U.S. is increasingly diverse, so why is segregation getting worse?

Why are we even using the judgmental term 'worse'? If people feel more comfortable living near others of the own race is that necessarily a bad thing? Let people decide how they are comfortable living and associating with. There may be social comfort in living around people you feel are similar to you in looks and background.

I say each person can live as integrated with or segregated from others as they choose as long as there is no discrimination and there is good will for all.

I am a white American and I would not be comfortable living in an almost all black area (being honest). Being around people that look like me and have a similar cultural background is just more comfortable to me. I do not give liberal social scientists the power to tell me what is right.

Freely chosen levels of segregation and integration is not a good/bad thing in my book. It's freedom.

 

 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Desertrat56
Posted (edited)
55 minutes ago, papageorge1 said:

U.S. is increasingly diverse, so why is segregation getting worse?

Why are we even using the judgmental term 'worse'? If people feel more comfortable living near others of the own race is that necessarily a bad thing? Let people decide how they are comfortable living and associating with. There may be social comfort in living around people you feel are similar to you in looks and background.

I say each person can live as integrated with or segregated from others as they choose as long as there is no discrimination and there is good will for all.

I am a white American and I would not be comfortable living in an almost all black area (being honest). Being around people that look like me and have a similar cultural background is just more comfortable to me. I do not give liberal social scientists the power to tell me what is right.

Freely chosen levels of segregation and integration is not a good/bad thing in my book. It's freedom.

 

 

It doesn't matter where I live or what the people look like or where their ancestors are from that live around me, I am always living with people of my race because I am human and that is what everyone else is too.   God forbid you ever feel uncomfortable.    Keeping yourself in your comfort zone is also keeping you from an interesting life.

 

Edited by Desertrat56
  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
OverSword

The headline may as well read "Most Diverse Nation In History Of The World Are Backwards Racial Bigots" :lol:

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Desertrat56
8 minutes ago, OverSword said:

The headline may as well read "Most Diverse Nation In History Of The World Are Backwards Racial Bigots" :lol:

It seems to me lately that all the british empire is, not just the U.S.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
papageorge1
12 minutes ago, Desertrat56 said:

It doesn't matter where I live or what the people look like or where their ancestors are from that live around me, I am always living with people of my race because I am human and that is what everyone else is too.   God forbid you ever feel uncomfortable.    Keeping yourself in your comfort zone is also keeping you from an interesting life.

 

I enjoy the benefits of living and experiencing a larger integrated world society at the same time too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
spartan max2
Posted (edited)

My neighborhood is pretty diverse but that's because it's like a middle of the road income suburb. Not expensive but not poor.

All the middle suburbs here seem that way but the race difference definitely comes out with the poor and rich areas. The poor intercity is definitely mostly black and the rich suburbs are mostly white.

Its an unfortunate income problem. Not people intentionally living away from other races.

Edited by spartan max2
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
OverSword
15 minutes ago, Desertrat56 said:

It seems to me lately that all the british empire is, not just the U.S.

I was being sarcastic.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Desertrat56
6 minutes ago, spartan max2 said:

My neighborhood is pretty diverse but that's because it's like a middle of the road income suburb. Not expensive but not poor.

All the middle suburbs here seem that way but the race difference definitely comes out with the poor and rich areas. The poor intercity is definitely mostly black and the rich suburbs are mostly white.

Its an unfortunate income problem. Not people intentionally living away from other races.

When I lived in Midland, TX in the 80's I was told not to go south of a certain road.   I asked why and was told "that is where the Mexicans live".  It was not "the Mexicans" it was the poor black people.   And that city had been sued by the feds in 1984 (1984!!!!) to desegregate their schools.   The town was in 4 quadrants, one quadrant had the golf course and all the expensive homes, one quadrant had the poor hispanics, one quadrant for the poor black people and one for the middle class.   Like you said, the middle class quadrant was diverse. AND the thing that bugged me the most is that the "Mexicans" were living in that area before Texas was a state, had never lived in Mexico except for a while when Mexico owned that territory.   The "european/british" people in that area were only 3rd generation at the most, brought there by the oil industry.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Desertrat56
1 minute ago, OverSword said:

I was being sarcastic.  

I know, I just feel the need to point out that we are not unique (except maybe by our attitudes about guns) in the british empire.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
OverSword
12 minutes ago, spartan max2 said:

My neighborhood is pretty diverse but that's because it's like a middle of the road income suburb. Not expensive but not poor.

All the middle suburbs here seem that way but the race difference definitely comes out with the poor and rich areas. The poor intercity is definitely mostly black and the rich suburbs are mostly white.

Its an unfortunate income problem. Not people intentionally living away from other races.

On the other hand a big complaint among black communities is gentrification.  I was watching a local documentary about the Central District, which was the designated black area here before Red Lining by banks and realtors became illegal.  There are two sides to the feelings of the ever shrinking black community there.  On the one hand they love their neighborhood and the racial make-up of it where they feel more at home among people of the same ethnicity and resent the wave of white home buyers shrinking the black population there.  But on the other hand they can't fault the people that are selling their homes which are now worth quadruple what they originally paid for them and taking that money to retire or to purchase better, newer homes where the property values are less.   

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
spartan max2
6 minutes ago, OverSword said:

On the other hand a big complaint among black communities is gentrification.  I was watching a local documentary about the Central District, which was the designated black area here before Red Lining by banks and realtors became illegal.  There are two sides to the feelings of the ever shrinking black community there.  On the one hand they love their neighborhood and the racial make-up of it where they feel more at home among people of the same ethnicity and resent the wave of white home buyers shrinking the black population there.  But on the other hand they can't fault the people that are selling their homes which are now worth quadruple what they originally paid for them and taking that money to retire or to purchase better, newer homes where the property values are less.   

Ah yes. The gentrification people. 

I just think they are dumb :innocent:

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
OverSword
14 minutes ago, spartan max2 said:

Ah yes. The gentrification people. 

I just think they are dumb :innocent:

That was formerly my opinion too and still is from a logical point of view.  From an emotional view point what that documentary showed was that a vibrant, artistic, black community existed there for many years but really does not any longer and it is a bit of a cultural loss.  The same thing is happening with our China Town.  It's still there but it's a bit of a shell of it's former self.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Likely Guy
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, OverSword said:

The headline may as well read "Most Diverse Nation In History Of The World Are Backwards Racial Bigots:lol:

The USA isn't even close to being the most diverse nation in the world. The most diverse countries (culturally, linguistically and racially) tend to be in Africa.

Edited by Likely Guy
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
OverSword
Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, Likely Guy said:

The USA isn't even close to being the most diverse nation in the world. The most diverse countries, culturally and racially, tend to be in Africa.

How about the most racially diverse large country then?  The countries you're talking about are the population of a state.  Which means we have more minorities than they :lol:

HOORAY US!! 

ca9c03408fcf82c5723f231811e4e339.jpg

Edited by OverSword

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Likely Guy
Just now, OverSword said:

How about the most racially diverse large country then?  The countries you're talking about are the population of a state.

Canada has a larger land mass than the US and is more racially diverse.

Even so, since when did size matter? :P

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Desertrat56
6 minutes ago, Likely Guy said:

Canada has a larger land mass than the US and is more racially diverse.

Even so, since when did size matter? :P

Population matters more than land mass.   Your country has just over 1/10the the population of the U.S.  11.383 %   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Likely Guy
5 minutes ago, Desertrat56 said:

Population matters more than land mass.   Your country has just over 1/10the the population of the U.S.  11.383 %   

Okay, so out of the three largest nations by population, the US is more diverse than India or China.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
OverSword
1 hour ago, Likely Guy said:

Canada has a larger land mass than the US and is more racially diverse.

Even so, since when did size matter? :P

Been listening to your wife eh?

1 hour ago, Likely Guy said:

Okay, so out of the three largest nations by population, the US is more diverse than India or China.

Yay Us!! :P

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Likely Guy
Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, OverSword said:

Been listening to your wife eh?

Yay Us!! :P

That's why I like you.

Edited by Likely Guy
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.