Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Could a 2D Being See Anything?

Hugh

9 minutes ago, Hugh said:

A 2D square or circle cannot have length only (that’s 1D).

A line is 2D as well, it only has length.   As long as it is more than one point and has no height, it is 2 dimensional.

1 minute ago, Desertrat56 said:

A line is 2D as well, it only has length.   As long as it is more than one point and has no height, it is 2 dimensional.

A line has one dimension, length, that’s why it is 1D.

Everywhere I look on the internet it confirms this.

Have you been able to find any site that explains how a line is 2D?

45 minutes ago, Hugh said:

A line has one dimension, length, that’s why it is 1D.

Everywhere I look on the internet it confirms this.

Have you been able to find any site that explains how a line is 2D?

No, you are not understanding.  You need a teacher or class.  Re-read what I wrote.  A single point is one dimension. 

31 minutes ago, Desertrat56 said:

No, you are not understanding.  You need a teacher or class.  Re-read what I wrote.  A single point is one dimension. 

I understand the naming of dimensions as it is the same on every website.

You have not been able to show any website with any explanation that matches yours.

A single point has no dimensions, there is no length, width or height to it so it is 0D.

A line has one dimension, length so it is 1D.

A square has two dimensions, length and width, so it is 2D.

A cube has three dimensions, length, width and height, so it is 3D.

This matches every website I have looked at.

You seem to believe otherwise, and that is your choice, but you have offered no website which explains your points, whereas I have offered a few.

I suspect at this point you may be just joking.

3 hours ago, Manwon Lender said:

Did you read the entire article?

Yes. It doesn’t talk about what a 2D being would see, or mention the vision of a 1D line.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Hugh said:

I understand the naming of dimensions as it is the same on every website.

You have not been able to show any website with any explanation that matches yours.

A single point has no dimensions, there is no length, width or height to it so it is 0D.

A line has one dimension, length so it is 1D.

A square has two dimensions, length and width, so it is 2D.

A cube has three dimensions, length, width and height, so it is 3D.

This matches every website I have looked at.

You seem to believe otherwise, and that is your choice, but you have offered no website which explains your points, whereas I have offered a few.

I suspect at this point you may be just joking.

If you aren't willing to actually learn, then I am not spending any time with you.  Get off the internet and buy a book or go to the library.

46 minutes ago, Desertrat56 said:

If you aren't willing to actually learn, then I am not spending any time with you.  Get off the internet and buy a book or go to the library.

I am willing to learn. I have spent several hours conversing with you, trying to understand your point of view and checking numerous sites to confirm what I have posted. I posted links explaining what the dimensions are.

You still have refused to post any sites which back up what you are saying.

If you’d like to leave the thread, feel free to go.

I’m still here interested in any thoughts about what a theoretical 2D being would be able to see.

My main reasoning behind thinking that it can’t see anything is because a 1D line has no thickness to it.

Imagine a 1D line under our most powerful microscope, could it be seen? Nope.

Those 2D beings that Carl Sagan talked about in the video posted earlier are perfectly flat in the 3rd dimension, they have no height at all, and with no height there is no 3D thickness to their 2D plane of existence.

Even if you took them ‘above’ their 2D plane to look down on it, they still couldn’t see the 1D slice of it that you pointed them towards.