Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Apartment building near Miami partially collapses

docyabut2

• The title was changed to Apartment building near Miami partially collapses
57 minutes ago, docyabut2 said:

That's really terrible Docy, could imagine what it would be like to be in that place!!:w00t::(

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, docyabut2 said:

Hi Docyabut

I guess we will have to wait until tere is an investigation to know for sure at this point could be anything including construction shortcuts from when it was originally constructed

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

At least one is dead and a number of people were taken to the hospital. The building is about 12 stories and contains 136 apartments. Not a lot is known. Police and dogs are searching the rubble. CNN says work had been in progress on the roof. It's unknown if that may have something to do with the collapse.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/06/24/us/building-collapse-miami-thursday/index.html

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/06/24/us/miami-surfside-building-collapse.html

Edited by susieice
  • Like 3

Down amidst the state of Florida.

Act 1 - the Destroying Angel is dispatched, forthwith.

Act 2 - From the Earth’s corner comes a new bee.

Act 3 - A blizzard of rot, devouring wood wherever it is found. See, even the living trees do not escape. A horror of anti-humanism. 

Act 4 - Like gnat to cloud lightning, from the master’s sidetake charge of every men-made structure. From the inside out, and from the outside in, disassemble the halls of human endeavor.

Act 5 - Upon the sword, now write the phrase, “Dissolve and destroy, Putrefy as you Protect.”

Considering the rarity of collapsed buildings in the United States, for no apparent reason, the forecast is intriguing. Florida was specified.

Will there be more? This is, after all, not what we expect in a first world nation.

The residents reported hearing a loud boom, that sounded like thunder, immediately before the rare collapse occurred.

Edited by Raptor Witness
  • Like 1
  • Confused 2

CBS has a live update. They are reporting 51 missing. That may rise as more people call to report loved ones who they have not heard from. The weather is not cooperating. Rain and thunderstorms in the area. They are saying 30 some people have been taken out of the debris. About half of the 136 apartments collapsed.

https://www.cbsnews.com/live-updates/florida-building-collapse-surfside/

Edited by susieice
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 1

“One woman said she was parking near the building when she heard a boom and then there was silence.”

“I thought it was, like, a storm or something coming in.” Source

• Like 2

Now they are reporting that 35 people were pulled from the building, not from the rubble.

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

They are saying 55 apartments collapsed. They also said 50%-60% of the building collapsed. I would think that would mean more than 55 apartments if half the building collapsed.

Edited by susieice
  • Like 5

The news shown a video of that  building actually collapsing, no tornado hit,  but it went down right in the middle,  it could be a bomb.  51 people unaccounted for, 35 rescued, at least 1 person dead after massive Fla. building collapse   

Edited by docyabut2
  • Like 2
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 4

Anything is possible at the moment docy. I'm thinking there may be internal damage also that's not visible from the outside. Our news is showing broken windows in parts of the building that did not collapse.

Edited by susieice
  • Like 2

“ …..Mayor Charles Burkett said …

Buildings don’t just fall down like this …

The address of the building is 8777 Collins Ave., in the community of Surfside, Florida, which is about five miles north of Miami Beach. According to the Miami-Dade County Property Appraiser, the site is listed as Champlain Towers South Condominiums, constructed in 1981.” Source

My advice, don’t build back here and look very carefully at all the remaining buildings, near the ocean.

Another more general warning about “buildings,” next to the ocean….

…. Mr President, 8) Prepare for climate change, but do not conduct beach renourishment. Let the ocean reclaim the buildings by the sea, as a reminder of our casual arrogance.

Do not allow national flood insurance to be sold on any ocean front homes, or buildings, within an annual tidal range, zone. 

Do not fund the raising of any roads adjacent to the sea. Let the ocean reclaim these.

Mother Earth has been instructed to reject all U.S. endeavors to renourish our beaches, and she will counter U.S. with fervent action, if we do this.

This rejection will be more costly than allowing her to reclaim these structures.

Edited February 22 by Raptor Witness

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, docyabut2 said:

The news shown a video of that  building actually collapsing, no tornado hit,  but it went down right in the middle,  it could be a bomb.  51 people unaccounted for, 35 rescued, at least 1 person dead after massive Fla. building collapse   

That sure doesn't look like a random collapse.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, aztek said:

poor design and construction, faulty materials, 

Looks like a bomb to me.

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, docyabut2 said:

What’s the motive? 

My guess is, subsidence, possibly a sink hole. Florida is an ancient reef, which means limestone underneath, and lots of sink holes, the entire peninsula.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Raptor Witness said:

What’s the motive? 

Motive?  Who knows.  Crazy person.  Maybe someone building a bomb for something else that went off.

My guess is, subsidence, possibly a sink hole. Florida is an ancient reef, which means limestone underneath, and lots of sink holes, the entire peninsula.

True but one they didn't trigger while digging the foundations? How about the boom heard before the collapse?

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, OverSword said:

Looks like a bomb to me.

Why does it look like a bomb?  Its pretty unclear at the moment. Some good alternatives presented above by @Aztec and @docyabut2 and @Raptor Witness.

There does not seem to be a flash visible in the video.  Sound recordings or even seismic data might tell more.

Inspection of the rubble will tell a lot more.  Explosive residues can be detected and components such as concrete and rebar can be analyzed.  It looks widespread and synchronized rather than a single point failure.

If you have ever watched demolition videos, it looks more like that, not a bomb.  

• Like 5

They had been working on the roof, but would something up there cause a collapse like this?

It was a building of condominiums so people bought into them. Our news showed a man who owns two of them and he said he had 3 friends staying in the building. They were visiting them. He has no word from them. They just showed it on this live link also. Who knows how many visitors from out of state were in those condos.

Edited by susieice
  • Like 3
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, docyabut2 said:

51 people unaccounted for, 35 rescued, at least 1 person dead after massive Fla. building collapse   

Look at the flashes of lights at the top  right before the collapsing,

Edited by docyabut2
  • Like 2

Just my guess.  Also I kind of doubt that faulty materials would have resulted (40 years later) in something suddenly catastrophic I think there would have been plenty of signs (tilted floors, walls separating from ceilings....) And there may have been and that info hasn't been released yet.  I would consider the sinkhole hole theory to make more sense than that but that would sure be a big sink hole.  Why have we not seen buildings fall into sinkholes like this many times or at least once?  Sure there have been homes that had to be abandoned and streets closed but nothing on this scale.  

Below are the Federal Building in OK and the condo .  Very similar.  Also look at the condo picture.  where is the hole?

55313b9c4bc98.image.jpg?resize=500,727 6ENQ2B6OBKSAW5IVPJ7JGLGQHY.jpg

Edited by OverSword
  • Like 4

10 minutes ago, docyabut2 said:

Look at the flashes of lights at the top  right before the collapsing,

It looks like a bomb to me on the roof that went off ,before the collapsing

Edited by docyabut2
  • Like 1

If there was a sinkhole, wouldn't there be a hole on the street also? Most homes that I've seen that fell into sinkholes, the hole extends to the street and is visible.

• Like 5

If you watch the footage carefully, and look at the surrounding foliage, there’s no evidence of an initial blast or shockwave.

• Like 1