Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

US planning to evacuate Afghan interpreters, contractors ahead of withdrawal

Grim Reaper 6

11 minutes ago, OverSword said:

And are well aware of what happened last time.  The Taliban will probably just occupy themselves trying to win the country back, which they are in fact far from doing and are mainly battling Iranian sponsored Sunni Afghani's also desiring to take control who are entering in the far west of the country far from Kabul. 

same difference,  taliban , or iran backed sunnis, they all want one thing, death of western civilization. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, aztek said:

same difference,  taliban , or iran backed sunnis, they all want one thing, death of western civilization. 

And hate each other even more than they hate us.

• Like 2

Just now, OverSword said:

And hate each other even more than they hate us.

true,  not that it ever stopped any of them to seek worldwide caliphate, they are just disputing who should rule it

• Like 3

1 hour ago, OverSword said:

Not our problem anymore.  Get back to me when they are training kool-aid-a

Interesting to watch, it may become China's problem.  As well as a Belt and Road stopover. China does not want too much terrorist training anywhere near their Uyghur population that would make them a threat. Just enough to tell the world they need those re-education camps

• Like 2

I also believe sitting in Afghanistan was a waste. Trying to westernize a people who simply don't want it, was a waste. 

I am glad they are saving as many of the US supporting local people as possible. They'll likely become good citizens in years to come.

I did read an article that the Administration created a likely fail situation by not having a civilian evacuation plan ready when they started the military withdrawal.

POLITICO: ‘Complete disaster’: Inside the Biden team’s chaotic bid to evacuate Afghan interpreters.
https://www.politico.com/news/2021/07/30/biden-evacuate-afghan-interpreters-501773

• Like 4

7 hours ago, DieChecker said:

I also believe sitting in Afghanistan was a waste. Trying to westernize a people who simply don't want it, was a waste. 

I am glad they are saving as many of the US supporting local people as possible. They'll likely become good citizens in years to come.

I did read an article that the Administration created a likely fail situation by not having a civilian evacuation plan ready when they started the military withdrawal.

POLITICO: ‘Complete disaster’: Inside the Biden team’s chaotic bid to evacuate Afghan interpreters.
https://www.politico.com/news/2021/07/30/biden-evacuate-afghan-interpreters-501773

Here is the updated evacuation plan for the Afghan Contractors and service personel. The money has been allocated and the Visas are being prepared for approximately 4000 people. So it appears these people will be taken care of as they deserve to be for their service.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/congress-clears-dollar21-billion-for-security-afghan-visas/ar-AAMImzO

8 hours ago, Manwon Lender said:

Here is the updated evacuation plan for the Afghan Contractors and service personel. The money has been allocated and the Visas are being prepared for approximately 4000 people. So it appears these people will be taken care of as they deserve to be for their service.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/congress-clears-dollar21-billion-for-security-afghan-visas/ar-AAMImzO

I read that 18,000 have applied. Was that these 4000 plus family? I've also read 30,000 in some articles, I believe.

8 hours ago, Manwon Lender said:

I read that 18,000 have applied. Was that these 4000 plus family? I've also read 30,000 in some articles, I believe.

Edit: Found this...

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2021/7/30/first-group-of-afghan-interpreters-evacuated-to-the-us-reports

About 20,000 Afghans who worked as interpreters for the Americans have applied for evacuation under the US State Department programme of Special Immigrant Visas (SIVs).

Some estimates suggest the total number of prospective evacuees could be as high as 100,000 once family members are counted.

Edited by DieChecker
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, DieChecker said:

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2021/7/30/first-group-of-afghan-interpreters-evacuated-to-the-us-reports

I am uncertain about all the numbers but it appears my quote to of 4000, was not completely accurate. Below is a better picture of what has happened to date, and what is currently planned. 

In addition, it has more than $1 billion in funding through the Defense, State and Health and Human Services Departments to help pay the costs of resettling Afghans. It also makes 8,000 visas available to those Afghans, an addition to the 4,000 special immigrant visas available in the current fiscal year. The State Department has issued 26,500 such visas since 2014.

As it says above it appears that 12,000 Visas are available and 26,500 have already been resettled in the United States and therecis 1 Billion Dollars set aside for the resettlement of the new Visa holders. To my knowledge any resettlement of this also would certainly include immediate family members. 

As far the larger figures you quoted above, I am uncertain, but they My also take into account those already resettled. If you take the figures if those resettled and add them to the new available Visas you have 38,500 Afghans which is close to some of your figures.

But, I only hope that those who have served us well are treated right. 

• Like 1

On 8/1/2021 at 3:50 PM, DieChecker said:

Here is new information it appears was released in the last 24 hr's, i thought you may be interested in it. Below is the information from a new article published by the BBC today.

On Monday 2 August 2021, the US state department announced it would set up a second refugee program, meant for Afghans who worked for US-funded projects and US-based media outlets and non-governmental organizations. But these applicants face a clogged and complex visa process and the threat of a swift Taliban advance as the US winds down its 20-year war.

The danger to interpreters - marked for their work for the Americans - is grave. An estimated 300 interpreters have died since 2009 while seeking a US visa - a process that can take years, even under newer refugee schemes.

From Afghan interpreter to US homeless - the long road to the American dream - BBC News

Take care!!:tu:

I wonder if there's bot some way to settle them in Pakistan, or other nearby country temporarily. 

At least Biden must be happy this isn't in the news anymore. Delta Covid, and Cuomo, have taken over the 24 hour news cycle.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/3/2021 at 9:30 PM, Manwon Lender said:

If it were up to me I would pull all US Forces back to US Boarders. Let the rest of the world deal with there own problems, I say Good Riddance and et per totam orbem terrarum ardeat!!:tu:

Careful Manwon, you're starting to sound like a certain orange complexioned (ex) president! lol.

We both know that won't happen as yet. Dominant powers don't create the worlds geopolitical landscape for their own economic benefit and maintain their share of everyone else's wealth by sitting back. Or spread "freedom and democracy" (for the naive) by blockading, (illegally) sanctioning or plain old bombing the crap out of poor people.

They will have no choice eventually though. The signs of economic, social and political collapse, along with military over reach and failure have been there for a couple of decades. There are some remarkable similarities with other waning empires.

• Like 1

On 7/3/2021 at 4:28 AM, Gromdor said:

The problem is we never define what "winning" is an any of our situations nor do we make a road map to achieve it with plans for an exit strategy when we do.

But lets not kid ourselves, we do things to grab strategic resources or secure a strategic presence.  Being in Afghanistan let us have bases near Russia, Iran, Syria, etc. to give our politicians political leverage- it was never about "winning" at all.

True that. Appears it was never about t----ism either. Also helps in justifying a military budget and keeping arms manufacturers/dealers happy (and wealthy). Got to use those weapons somewhere.

• Like 3

What has Afghanistan got to offer the world apart from heroin , they have been fighting each other since Mohammad was a boy and will continue to do so for another 1000 years , western forces are better off getting out and leaving them to kill each other . China won't succeed either being communist and not the islamic faith . It's Hoo Flung Dung against Shi(i)te .

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

8 hours ago, spud the mackem said:

What has Afghanistan got to offer the world apart from heroin , they have been fighting each other since Mohammad was a boy and will continue to do so for another 1000 years , western forces are better off getting out and leaving them to kill each other . China won't succeed either being communist and not the islamic faith . It's Hoo Flung Dung against Shi(i)te .

Mineral resources-  Visual search query image

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 7/29/2021 at 10:44 AM, aztek said:

But that is exactly what they will do.   Taliban who controls the country now, are those jihadists,  and now they have our weapons and equipment.

We became proficient at targeting and destroying our own equipment after the Iraqis folded like a cheap suit.  We'll just need to do it again.

13 hours ago, spud the mackem said:

The only exception I'd point out is the fact that the CCP could arm, train, and direct them as a proxy force to use against the west.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, and then said:

The only exception I'd point out is the fact that the CCP could arm, train, and direct them as a proxy force to use against the west.

It will never occur, the Taliban are some of the extreme religious zealots in the Muslin World. Unless your Muslim and live by Sharia Law your an infidel and as such you are an insult to their creator and to them personally. 

Oh and by the way, there were a number of statues of Buddha that were 800 years plus old, these statues where classified by UNESCO as a world heritage site the Taliban conducted demolition on the statues ans blew them up. So that show what the Taliban think of any religion except for Islam. So again I say the Taliban will never work for any infidels.

E277AF14-EC16-4E20-B789-E0B05EE317D3-1478-000001F8F2E622D3.gif.9a7b96a1da58e03d4340750ae59773a4.gif

It would appear that the appeal of blue jeans, light beer and 24 hour tv programming were not enough to win over this ancient tribal landscape.

How utterly surprising. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, acidhead said:

Pray for the safety of everybody trying to get out 

I have to wonder how we could be there for 2 decades and still underestimate how quickly the place would collapse when we left.  That is either a frightening level of incompetence by very senior leadership in the Pentagon or the pullout is being mishandled for some other reason.  The generals and the defense contractors may have reached the level of corruption where they simply refuse to give up the gravy train of wealth that flows with this conflict.  IF the Taliban are stupid enough to overrun Kabul and kill or take Americans hostage then my guess is we'd recommit in a major way and the whole damned nightmare would commence anew.  :(  

I agree, time to pray for those who are in danger because of policy or incompetence.  All it should require is a VERY intense bombing campaign against known elements of the Taliban in the open and targeted drone strikes against senior leadership, where possible.  I can't believe these insane Fundys can't see their jeopardy if they try to kick Uncle Sam in the nether-regions on his way out.  :no:

• Like 1