Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Holidays in Europe

spud the mackem

Europe is now showing it's true colours , the main 2 Countries don't want us Germany and France in todays news are banning the British people from visiting their Countries even when people have had 2 anti-virus injections . Why go abroad when there is beautiful places to visit in our 4 Countries . Spain and Portugal are withholding comments at the moment , but Frau Merkel wants all Euro Countries to stop us going anywhere in Europe.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Yep the uk has a lot to offer there are loads of places to visit,ok you may not always get the sun but if you remember there's no such thing as the wrong sort of weather just the wrong type of clothing 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, spud the mackem said:

Europe is now showing it's true colours , the main 2 Countries don't want us Germany and France in todays news are banning the British people from visiting their Countries even when people have had 2 anti-virus injections . Why go abroad when there is beautiful places to visit in our 4 Countries . Spain and Portugal are withholding comments at the moment , but Frau Merkel wants all Euro Countries to stop us going anywhere in Europe.

Really, you are going to "pout" because the EU doesn't want you now that Brexit has happened?   The sentiments that caused Brexit are the same sentiments that gave Trump a new con to fund raise from private citizens  for "the wall".  Polarized, fear based, misplaced anger at immigrants and a misguided belief that the other countries were taking something from you.

Edited by Desertrat56
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

40 minutes ago, Desertrat56 said:

Really, you are going to "pout" because the EU doesn't want you now that Brexit has happened?   The sentiments that caused Brexit are the same sentiments that gave Trump a new con to fund raise from private citizens  for "the wall".  Polarized, fear based, misplaced anger at immigrants and a misguided belief that the other countries were taking something from you.

Besides, it's the "Delta" Covid variant, rampant in the UK, that is the reason why some EU countries decided not to risk with unnecessary travelling from the country with high Covid infection rate. 

Which is indeed beautifully ironic, but not a political matter at all. Just sanitary precaution.  

• Like 1

It looks like the UK is leading in vaccinations given. Germany and France are #2 and #3. The vaccines are being shown to be effective against the Delta variant.

https://www.euronews.com/2021/06/18/covid-19-vaccinations-in-europe-which-countries-are-leading-the-way

https://graphics.reuters.com/HEALTH-CORONAVIRUS/EU-VACCINES/qmypmrelyvr/

I can think of a lot of places in the UK I'd love to see.

Edited by susieice
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, susieice said:

It looks like the UK is leading in vaccinations given. Germany and France are #2 and #3. The vaccines are being shown to be effective against the Delta variant.

The UK is also still leading in the spread of Delta variant, making sure further variants will follow.

Vaccines are effective in the sense of helping infected people not die from Covid. The vaccinated can still both catch and transmit the disease. It will spawn new variants. 

Which is why the Petri dish shouldn't travel around until they stop trying to give us all herd immunity their government was aiming for. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Helen of Annoy said:

The vaccinated can still both catch and transmit the disease.

My brother's wife has Covid, confirmed by a Lateral Flow Test and then a PCR Test, even though she's had both doses of the Pfizer vaccine.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 1

Obviously they don't realise we are British!

We won the war for Europe, so they should let us go where we like!

• Haha 3

3 minutes ago, acute said:

My brother's wife has Covid, confirmed by a Lateral Flow Test and then a PCR Test, even though she's had both doses of the Pfizer vaccine.

Damn.

The good news is that she should be safe from developing severe form of the disease.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, spud the mackem said:

Can't blame them. Why would they want to risk the Delta variant getting a foothold in their countries?

And it just means all our people will spend the money they've built up in lockdown in the UK economy instead of the EU.

Win win for both parties. Unless you're one of these that needs a tan like a coat of Creosote twice a year.

• Like 1

Just now, Helen of Annoy said:

The good news is that she should be safe from developing severe form of the disease.

Yep!  She's doing ok.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, ted hughes said:

Should I tell them you're sarcastic, or let you enjoy some approval? :D 

By the way, most EU countries require the usual for everyone, Brits included: negative test not older than 2 days, or vaccination certificate, or certificate confirming you had Covid (which assumes naturally acquired immunity). EU countries have the universal certificate, so called "Covid passport", which makes it easier and faster, you can just store it in your phone. 

Edited by Helen of Annoy
illiteracy
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, ted hughes said:

Well, excluding Germany, obviously. And maybe the Italians. And we sank the French fleet at Mers-el-Kebir.

And we may have accidently attacked some other people.

But we are British!

• Haha 3

2 minutes ago, Helen of Annoy said:

Should I tell them you're sarcastic, or let you enjoy some approval? :D 

By the way, most EU countries require the usual for everyone, Brits included: negative test not older than 2 days, or vaccination certificate, or certificate confirming you had Covid (which assumes naturally acquired immunity). EU countries have the universal certificate, so called "Covid passport", which makes it easier and faster, you can just store it in your phone. 

Sarcastic? I'll have you know my grandad downed 35 German planes in WW2! Admittedly, he was the worst mechanic the Luftwaffe ever employed, but still.

• Haha 4

12 minutes ago, acute said:

Me and my family had the Pfizer. I think all we can do is do our best and hope for the best, the severity and prevalence seems random; hope she makes a good recovery.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, spud the mackem said:

The cold and the rain are the two reasons that jump out.

26 minutes ago, ted hughes said:

Who won the war for Europe????   

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I am only 55 and need another 200 years to visit all the places I want to see in Britain!   So not worried about a holiday in mainland Europe for a while yet :P 

However, I would prefer iof every other b***** went somewhere else.   I see Antarctica is now open for UK holidaymakers, and they have some really great, big, unspoilt beaches, with loads of drinks on ice and not a German to be seen.   So please, everyone, go there!

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Desertrat56 said:

Russia did.   They started it, and ended it with exactly what they wanted.

Poland (and other eastern European countries) lost it.  

But that's a whole other story.

• Like 2

Well at least we can still go to the British Antarctic territory ... which is nice

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, spud the mackem said:

We apply the same rules for travelling from Germany to UK, quarantine 10 days.

No sensible person would holiday in Europe for the next 12months. Until covid cases have reduced. 

And it seems most are sensible as It's expected most brits will holiday at home spending £30bn here at home. Boosting the economy further. 

Germany, France et'al. Need to remember there is a world out there. Plenty of European countries are advertising holidays. Encouraging brits to come spend some of that £30bn in their country. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Desertrat56 said:

And they won't let us travel to the UK!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Helen of Annoy said:

The UK is also still leading in the spread of Delta variant, making sure further variants will follow.

Vaccines are effective in the sense of helping infected people not die from Covid. The vaccinated can still both catch and transmit the disease. It will spawn new variants. 

Which is why the Petri dish shouldn't travel around until they stop trying to give us all herd immunity their government was aiming for. 

There will forever be Covid and variants. It's not going to just go away. If you are vaccinated, it won't be as severe. That is correct. The EU can spread it among themselves too. You are also potential spreaders. But the vaccine helps keep it under some control. Including all variants.

Edited by susieice
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Essan said:

Russia did.   They started it, and ended it with exactly what they wanted.

Poland (and other eastern European countries) lost it.  

But that's a whole other story.

Oh yes, Operation Barbarossa, where the Russians attacked their erstwhile allies, the peaceable Germans who had not occupied Poland.

Edited by ted hughes

32 minutes ago, ted hughes said:

Oh yes, Operation Barbarossa, where the Russians attacked their erstwhile allies, the peaceable Germans who had not occupied Poland.

I was actually referring to the Soviet invasion of Poland and divsion of the country between Russia and Germany, prior to Stalin and Hitler falling out.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soviet_invasion_of_Poland

• Thanks 1