Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Eldorado

Bones found in Israel could belong to mystery extinct humans

Eldorado

Fossilised bones recovered from an ancient sinkhole in Israel may belong to a previously unknown group of extinct humans that lived in the Levant more than 100,000 years ago.

Researchers unearthed the bones alongside stone tools and the remains of horses, fallow deer and wild ox during excavations at the Nesher Ramla prehistoric site near the city of Ramla in central Israel.

The bones, described by one expert as “a major discovery”, have a distinctive combination of Neanderthal and early human features which set them apart from the Homo sapiens that lived in the region at the same time.

While the scientists hold back from claiming a new species, they believe the Nesher Ramla individuals may have played an important role in the human story.

Full monty: UK Guardian

• Like 3
  • Thanks 4

Manwon Lender
2 hours ago, Eldorado said:

Fossilised bones recovered from an ancient sinkhole in Israel may belong to a previously unknown group of extinct humans that lived in the Levant more than 100,000 years ago.

Researchers unearthed the bones alongside stone tools and the remains of horses, fallow deer and wild ox during excavations at the Nesher Ramla prehistoric site near the city of Ramla in central Israel.

The bones, described by one expert as “a major discovery”, have a distinctive combination of Neanderthal and early human features which set them apart from the Homo sapiens that lived in the region at the same time.

While the scientists hold back from claiming a new species, they believe the Nesher Ramla individuals may have played an important role in the human story.

Full monty: UK Guardian

Hey my friend this is very interesting and this is the first I have heard of it. I am including a Peer Reviewed Paper on the subject that adds a great deal of additional information to this thread, hope you don't mind.

Landscapes, depositional environments and human occupation at Middle Paleolithic open-air sites in the southern Levant, with new insights from Nesher Ramla, Israel 

https://d1wqtxts1xzle7.cloudfront.net/54262923/Zaidner_et_al_2016_QSR.pdf?1503903838=&response-content-disposition=inline%3B+filename%3DLandscapes_depositional_environments

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

fred_mc
Posted (edited)

It was a fascinating world people were living in then, a "Lord of the Rings" type of world with many species coexisting side by side.

Edited by fred_mc
  • Like 3

Still Waters
On 6/24/2021 at 10:33 PM, Manwon Lender said:

Hey my friend this is very interesting and this is the first I have heard of it. I am including a Peer Reviewed Paper on the subject that adds a great deal of additional information to this thread, hope you don't mind.

Landscapes, depositional environments and human occupation at Middle Paleolithic open-air sites in the southern Levant, with new insights from Nesher Ramla, Israel 

https://d1wqtxts1xzle7.cloudfront.net/54262923/Zaidner_et_al_2016_QSR.pdf?1503903838=&response-content-disposition=inline%3B+filename%3DLandscapes_depositional_environments

Your link doesn't work. I think you mean this:

https://www.academia.edu/34374827/Landscapes_depositional_environments_and_human_occupation_at_Middle_Paleolithic_open_air_sites_in_the_southern_Levant_with_new_insights_from_Nesher_Ramla_Israel

There's a shorter version here:

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S0277379116300488

• Thanks 4

Manwon Lender
4 hours ago, Still Waters said:

Thank you very much, it seems some of the Acedemic sites I am a member of don't allow the links to be shared!:)

Than you very much for your help!:tu:

• Like 1