Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Telling the Alamo story wrong for nearly 200 years

Eldorado

Imagine if the U.S. were to open interior Alaska for colonization and, for whatever reason, thousands of Canadian settlers poured in, establishing their own towns, hockey rinks and Tim Hortons stores. When the U.S. insists they follow American laws and pay American taxes, they refuse. When the government tries to collect taxes, they shoot and kill American soldiers.

When law enforcement goes after the killers, the colonists, backed by Canadian financing and mercenaries, take up arms in open revolt.

As an American, how would you feel?

Now you can imagine how Mexican President Antonio López de Santa Anna would have felt in 1835, because that’s pretty much the story of the revolution that paved the way for Texas to become its own nation and then an American state.

Full article at Time magazine

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Eldorado said:

Now you can imagine how Mexican President Antonio López de Santa Anna would have felt in 1835, because that’s pretty much the story of the revolution that paved the way for Texas to become its own nation and then an American state.

It also had to do with Mexico outlawing slavery and the Texans wanting to keep theirs. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 4

Canadians would be fighting a war for independence. Which is what the Texans did. Mexico didn't open anything up for settlement that I'm aware of.

Edited by susieice
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Eldorado said:

Imagine if the U.S. were to open interior Alaska for colonization and, for whatever reason, thousands of Canadian settlers poured in, establishing their own towns, hockey rinks and Tim Hortons stores. When the U.S. insists they follow American laws and pay American taxes, they refuse. When the government tries to collect taxes, they shoot and kill American soldiers.

When law enforcement goes after the killers, the colonists, backed by Canadian financing and mercenaries, take up arms in open revolt.

As an American, how would you feel?

Full article at Time magazine

To Hell with Mexico dam it!!:angry:

Remember The Alamo!!!!:gun:

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, susieice said:

Canadians would be fighting a war for independence. Which is what the Texans did. Mexico didn't open anything up for settlement that I'm aware of.

Yeah Mexico encouraged Americans to settle Texas. They passed a Colonization Law right after they gained their own independence.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Buzz_Light_Year said:

Yeah Mexico encouraged Americans to settle Texas. They passed a Colonization Law right after they gained their own independence.

Yep, they had to because you can't keep territory that has no people in it.  And they treated the natives like animals just like all the spaniards, british & europeans did (they were still spaniards in their thinking).

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

21 minutes ago, Buzz_Light_Year said:

I didn't know that. Thanks for the info. 

• Like 7

1 hour ago, susieice said:

Mexico opened Texas for settlement.  Stephen F Austin  led  "the old 300" who had bought parcels in his new colony  into Texas.  The capital of Texas is named after him. Seventh Grade Texas history that I can still remember.

Edited by Tatetopa
spelling
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 3

One group of people used conquest to take from others?  Imagine that.  Before I began cheering for Mexican independence, I'd look at what they accomplished.  Seems to me they should be happy that stronger, smarter people created a place so wealthy that their ancestors could come and live in a freer and more prosperous place than Mexico EVER was or will be.  The same can be said of Africans who were brought here against their will.  I doubt you could find a single inner-city black person who'd choose to go back to the "motherland". 

• Confused 1

10 minutes ago, Tatetopa said:

Mexico opened Texas for settlement.  Stephen F Austin  led  "the old 300" who had bought parcels in his new colony  into Texas.  The capital of Texas is named after him. Seventh Grade Texas history that I can still remember.

Sounds like tariffs and taxes were involved too.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, and then said:

One group of people used conquest to take from others?  Imagine that.  Before I began cheering for Mexican independence, I'd look at what they accomplished.  Seems to me they should be happy that stronger, smarter people created a place so wealthy that their ancestors could come and live in a freer and more prosperous place than Mexico EVER was or will be.  The same can be said of Africans who were brought here against their will.  I doubt you could find a single inner-city black person who'd choose to go back to the "motherland". 

So the Mexicans and Africans should be happy with their lot now because it would have been worse if Texas wasn't taken or slavery never happened?

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

45 minutes ago, Likely Guy said:

So the Mexicans and Africans should be happy with their lot now because it would have been worse if Texas wasn't taken or slavery never happened?

Don't listen to him he needs to be part of the support group!:lol:

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Manwon Lender said:

Don't listen to him he needs to be part of the support group!:lol:

Well, he agreed to 'see how it goes'. That's a step you should applaud him for. I rarely agree with him politically, but, I think he really cares.

Edited by Likely Guy
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, and then said:

Your comments are not only un-tasteful they are also to mildly put it racist. 

Wow:no:

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Manwon Lender said:

Your comments are not only un-tasteful they are also to mildly put it racist. 

Wow:no:

There are nicer ways of saying things. Next time, maybe pose it as a question because that helps them reconsider their statement.

Edited by Likely Guy
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, Likely Guy said:

There are nicer ways of saying things. Next time, maybe pose it as a question.

Thanks for the advise, and you are mostly likely right. But, I spent more than half my life in the military and being direct is part of my life that I value. Honesty is better than soft soap, in situations where people continue to speak in the same manner manner year after year. 

I believe in being politically correct when someone makes a mistake, but repeated behavior doesn't deserve that treatment sorry if you don't agree, that's the way goes. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Likely Guy said:

Well, he agreed to 'see how it goes'. That's a step you should applaud him for. I rarely agree with him politically, but, I think he really cares.

If people read the OP it plainly says Saru the forum owner approved this, so in that situation who has the right to criticize his opinion and his posts were negative in manner.

It takes longer to open a door by banging it with a fist than it does with a polite knock.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Manwon Lender said:

If people read the OP it plainly says Saru the forum owner approved this, so in that situation who has the right to criticize his opinion and his posts were negative in manner.

I, initially, was apprehensive about it. But eventually said, "let's see how it goes".