Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

751 graves found at residential school in Canada

susieice

An indigenous nation in Canada says it has found 751 unmarked graves at the site of a former residential school in Saskatchewan.

The Cowessess First Nation said the discovery was "the most significantly substantial to date in Canada".

It comes weeks after the remains of 215 children were found at a similar residential school in British Columbia.

"This is not a mass grave site. These are unmarked graves," said Cowessess Chief Cadmus Delorme.

So sad :cry:

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-57592243

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3
  • Sad 1

6 minutes ago, susieice said:

An indigenous nation in Canada says it has found 751 unmarked graves at the site of a former residential school in Saskatchewan.

The Cowessess First Nation said the discovery was "the most significantly substantial to date in Canada".

It comes weeks after the remains of 215 children were found at a similar residential school in British Columbia.

"This is not a mass grave site. These are unmarked graves," said Cowessess Chief Cadmus Delorme.

So sad :cry:

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-57592243

Yes it is Susie, this is beyond comprehension, just beyond comprehension!!:cry:

• Like 5

All sites of former residential schools, including those in the US, need to be searched thoroughly. This is just horrific!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 1

When I first read the headline, I said to myself, "nothing to see here, just a bunch more dead Indigenous kids" 

I hate being right... 

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

And getting lip service from the Prime Minister.  He states how sad it is, yet fights them on reparations.  Of course, his dad was in power when some of these schools we still open.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Where are the church records that might help to identify them?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, susieice said:

All sites of former residential schools, including those in the US, need to be searched thoroughly. This is just horrific!

At that time, Kids where dying a lot more than today... but it was also hell in these schools and orphanages. I'm not even surprised to see that kind of unmarked graves behind any old orphanages or residential schools of that time, first nation kids or not.

7 minutes ago, Likely Guy said:

Where are the church records that might help to identify them?

They don't record that sort of thing... for them at this time, god would have sorted them anyway and they don't give a **** about pagans.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, Jon the frog said:

They don't record that sort of thing... for them at this time, god would have sorted them anyway and they don't give a **** about pagans.

They were "saving their souls" and not considered pagan.

The Catholic church records everything; births, baptisms, weddings and deaths. When these schools were shut down they didn't burn the records. They're in the Vatican archives somewhere. I doubt there is a map of the burials, but when "Indian Boy 213" died, and when "Indian Girl 422" died you could probably find approximately where they lie. Cross referencing admission records would tell you who was who. There's also probably records still extant from Indian agent records and from the RCMP whose job it was to steal those children.

Graves in North America generally lie with the head to the east and the feet to the west, and burials are done from the left to the right facing east. There's a lot of sorting out to do, but the key to it probably is held in the Vatican. Then, maybe DNA tests could follow.

Edited by Likely Guy
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

The remains of another 182 bodies have been found near a residential school in British Columbia. Canada's indigenous tribes are actively investigating and say they expect more unmarked graves to be found as they move on.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-57674682

• Like 1