Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

‘Worst day in pigeon racing history’ sees 5,000 birds disappear

Still Waters

Pigeon fanciers are trying to work out how around 5,000 birds have disappeared into a “Bermuda triangle” in a single race in what is being called one of the worst days ever for the sport.

A race from Peterborough to the North East saw 9,000 pigeons taking part in what would normally be a three hour competition but more than half have yet to arrive.

Atmospheric conditions are the only explanation that has been put forward so far.

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/uk-world-news/mystery-worst-day-pigeon-racing-24394685

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/pigeon-racing-vanishing-mystery-b1872623.html

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2

I checked the Space Weather website, a highly regarded source of information on the energetic interaction of the Sun and the Earth. Conditions were quiet and no unusual magnetic activity was noted which might explain the pigeons' plight.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4

Maybe they encountered a predator that scared them all over the place. Or the group windowed themselves on a skyscraper but in that case, people would have found them with so many missed...

Edited by Jon the frog
  • Like 1

The bigger mystery, to me, is that pigeon racing is a thing that people are into.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

What pigeons? BURRRRRRP, I didn't see no pigeons.

It has been theorized in the  past by some scientists (google it if you care, I don't) that within the area known as the Bermuda Triangle there are vast amounts of methane gas under the surface...the theory is that from time to time these pockets of gas 'burp' a huge sudden amount of methane...very huge...to the point that the waves from that 'burp' could easily sink a large ship...huge enough that a plane flying through the methane cloud could be brought down.  I don't know how.  Google it if you care, I don't.  And if you don't know how to google something, go to YouTube and watch a How to Google Stuff instructional video.  I'm just the messenger of the theory.  So, I suppose if birds happened to be flying though the methane cloud they would subsequently perish into the sea.

Edited by joc
  • Like 1

Have any of these pigeons shown up in the last week?

7 hours ago, theotherguy said:

Have any of these pigeons shown up in the last week?

According to the Daily Mail -

Two British racing pigeons thought to be from the missing group found in Ireland

Woman saved one from a cat and another was found dead in a local's garden 

Many of the 250,000 birds released during races on June 19 are still missing  

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9742081/Thousands-racing-pigeons-vanished-UK-start-turn-Ireland.html

• Thanks 2