Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

YouTube takes down Xinjiang videos forcing human rights groups to find alternatives

spartan max2

EXCLUSIVE YouTube takes down Xinjiang videos, forces rights group to seek alternative

June 25 (Reuters) - A human rights group that attracted millions of views on YouTube to testimonies from people who say their families have disappeared in China's Xinjiang region is moving its videos to little-known service Odysee after some were taken down by the Google-owned (GOOGL.O) streaming giant, two sources told Reuters.

The group, credited by international organizations like Human Rights Watch for drawing attention to human rights violations in Xinjiang, has come under fire from Kazakh authorities since its founding in 2017.

Serikzhan Bilash, a Xinjiang-born Kazakh activist who co-founded the channel and has been arrested multiple times for his activism, said government advisors told him five years ago to stop using the word "genocide" to describe the situation in Xinjiang - an order he assumed came from pressure from China's government on Kazakhstan.

"They're just facts," Bilash said to Reuters in a phone interview, referring to the content of Atajurt's videos. "The people giving the testimonies are talking about their loved ones."

Atajurt Kazakh Human Rights' channel has published nearly 11,000 videos on YouTube totaling over 120 million views since 2017, thousands of which feature people speaking to camera about relatives they say have disappeared without a trace in China's Xinjiang region, where UN experts and rights groups estimate over a million people have been detained in recent years.

On June 15, the channel was blocked for violating YouTube's guidelines, according to a screenshot seen by Reuters, after twelve of its videos had been reported for breaching its 'cyberbullying and harassment' policy.

https://www.reuters.com/technology/exclusive-youtube-takes-down-xinjiang-videos-forces-rights-group-seek-2021-06-25/

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

A human rights groups that puts videos testimonies of Uyghurs and their family members about what is happening gets removed because it allegedly broke the rules of "cyberbullying".

What a ****en joke. Xi is ****. And YouTube is spineless. 

• Like 2

I’m pretty ashamed of American corporate morals. They talk a good game but anything they are for can and will be cast aside in the name of ever increasing profits.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, OverSword said:

I’m pretty ashamed of American corporate morals. They talk a good game but anything they are for can and will be cast aside in the name of ever increasing profits.

I hope they choke on their profits.

I'm all for people doing things in their self interest to profit. But you still should have some level of human morals. 

If these corporations existed in the past, I swear they would remove videos of Jewish testimony and the like as to not hurt their business in Nazi Germany and imperial Japan

Edited by spartan max2
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, spartan max2 said:

And YouTube is spineless.

I think people who countenance this kind of treatment of human beings, are complicit in the evil.  They are actually assisting the CCP with their propaganda and they do it for money.  

• Like 2