Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Mispronunciation: why you should stop correcting people’s mistakes

Still Waters

A recent survey of 2,000 adults in the UK identified the top ten “mispronunciations” people find annoying. Thankfully the majority (65%) of annoyed people do not feel comfortable correcting a speaker in public.

But leaving aside the fact that 2,000 is hardly a representative sample of the UK, with its population of over 66 million, this survey raises longstanding linguistic questions: why do people pronounce words differently, why does pronunciation change, and why does so-called mispronunciation upset some people to the point of making it possible (and interesting) to compile a top ten list?

https://theconversation.com/mispronunciation-why-you-should-stop-correcting-peoples-mistakes-163308

• Like 5

:hmm: So-called espresso coffee is called expresso coffee by many people BECAUSE THAT'S WHAT IT WAS CALLED FOR DECADES!!!!!!!

7 minutes ago, acute said:

I love the deliberate mispronunciation by Nigella:

:lol:

:lol: I think all families/groups of friends have jokes like this. The problems come when your brain decides this is the correct way to pronounce it and causes you to use it when you are not with the people in on the joke!

• Haha 2

10 minutes ago, acute said:

I love the deliberate mispronunciation by Nigella:

:lol:

:wub:

• Like 2

Mispronunciation World Champion since more than 10 years is Günther Oettinger (German politican). Unbeatable.

• Haha 1